Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
In my personal opinion, I think a ruckman is unique and a past ruckman would be best as coach. Generally a forward coach, defensive coach etc is all about a structure. Whereas a ruckman is more about a specific group of skills for a specific position.

I suppose it’s similar to clubs employing an accurate goal kicker to help forwards who struggle with set shots (ie. Lloyd, Dickson etc).

‘I understand it is an opinion, but it is not a fact.

Nobody apart from those up close and personal with Rocca know whether he is a good ruck coach.

What probably hurts him is his position. Those in his position should be getting more than he is. With WHE and JT, they're forwards who you don't expect will get many touches, just more what they do with them in the forward line.
I expect much more from both of them. 6 touches and no goals for the whole game from an experienced forward when the ball is flowing in freely in the first half is unacceptable.

#29 is McMahon. I’m not sure Ruscoe could outmark Roughy. Pretty promising given his age/size/lack of footy.
Thats awesome then. To have a tall skinny 18yo doing that and kicking the goal gives us a glimpse of what we may see in the future.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Sier in white while JT and WHE play in black. I’m done with Buckley.

The black team had 19 I think. The white team included Pendles, C Brown, Sier and Madgen. I reckon it'll be Cal that drops out.

The black team had 19 I think. The white team included Pendles, C Brown, Sier and Madgen. I reckon it'll be Cal that drops out.
I agree, even though he did whole lot better than WHE last week lol But he does seem to be the vulnerable one.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t get the Thomas criticism, he had an impactful games last week. He’s a role player, people forget that. One of his better performances for a while. Given our lack of depth I can’t see him being dropped. I’d give WHE a spell.
I hate the word “role”’player. He’s a small forward, his job first and foremost is to kick goals, average 1 a game? tackling and pressure comes second. He’s averaged less than 0.3goals in the last 12months. He’s ahead of WHE in terms of effort but It’s not good enough. Issue is we have nobody else....

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hate the word “role”’player. He’s a small forward, his job first and foremost is to kick goals, average 1 a game? tackling and pressure comes second. He’s averaged less than 0.3goals in the last 12months. He’s ahead of WHE in terms of effort but It’s not good enough. Issue is we have nobody else....

Oh we do . if Bucks has some dare

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree with you when discussing individuals in the coaching group. Don't understand how. anyone is confident. However, I do think that we haven't placed enough emphasis on communication skills when employing coaches.

Robert mumbles Harvey is a work in progress , give him time , been at the Club as a midfield coach and senior assistant coach for 10 years , settle Collingwood comrades , the Bucks boys club is about to expire soon , take your best man Sanderson with you Bucks

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Just because you hate it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing. There are players that are their to guard space, fill holes, pressure, tag, create space...most sports have role players. If you’ve ever had to play a ‘role’ in a team sport you’ll recognise that it’s not always easy or glamorous. Thomas set us up nicely in the first quarter, and played the speed bump role quite well throughout the rest of the game. When he’s forward he is seldom the target so again, he is there to play a role. People question his defensive pressure, not sure how when our team defence has been our only strength over the past few seasons...that means everybody is playing their role most weeks.

Im not saying he’s perfect and that he’s irreplaceable or anything like that, I agree in the past at times the criticism has been warranted. But we have limited options and if you watch his game closely from last week. He was a solid contributor.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Just because you hate it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing. There are players that are their to guard space, fill holes, pressure, tag, create space...most sports have role players. If you’ve ever had to play a ‘role’ in a team sport you’ll recognise that it’s not always easy or glamorous. Thomas set us up nicely in the first quarter, and played the speed bump role quite well throughout the rest of the game. When he’s forward he is seldom the target so again, he is there to play a role. People question his defensive pressure, not sure how when our team defence has been our only strength over the past few seasons...that means everybody is playing their role most weeks.

Im not saying he’s perfect and that he’s irreplaceable or anything like that, I agree in the past at times the criticism has been warranted. But we have limited options and if you watch his game closely from last week. He was a solid contributor.
I agree. The week prior he was anonymous though, needs to string some performances together.

Seems Cal Brown might be on the block, I'd say he would be the sub if so. Last chance saloon for WHE

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I agree. The week prior he was anonymous though, needs to string some performances together.

Seems Cal Brown might be on the block, I'd say he would be the sub if so. Last chance saloon for WHE
Ideally Cal works on his kicking in the twos and WHE gets dropped to earn his spot back...the reality is we don’t have any ready to go replacements. You could argue play the kids, but most of them are off a year of no football. This will be a consistent problem across the competition. For me there is one change and that is WHE out, and perhaps you’re right with Cal being the sub.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree with you when discussing individuals in the coaching group. Don't understand how. anyone is confident. However, I do think that we haven't placed enough emphasis on communication skills when employing coaches.

I suspect we probably made a mistake moving Hocking on and not other assistants, but I don’t know for sure.

Thanks again for your reporting & answers, Jen, though I would've slept better if you'd lied & said WHE was in white.
If it makes you feel better, Murohy was in the black some of the time last week and he didn't play haha.

Dropping him would make a statement, and I think WHE needs one. But I don't think we're gonna get that wish.

Back