List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, and I'm not expecting to trade for a pick to have access to pick #2 either.
There’s literally not a single player in the AFL I would trade for pick 2. Maybe a 24 year old Dusty or Nat Fyfe but that’s it.
Cerra is probably worth around pick 6 or 7. If he turned in too many performances like last Sunday though that would drift out to pick 11 or 12 pretty quickly.
On the other hand, Two or three games like the melbourne match last year in cairns though and you are talking a top 5 pick.
I personally think he will stay and sign a 2 year deal. If he’s willing to sign that right now as was reported a couple of weeks back, I would put it in front of him and get it done. It would remove an irritating distraction and also make sucking (edit: sumich) look like an even bigger w***er. Win win.

I didnt mind the Mature age picks or experienced players we traded in. We needed some cheap depth in that 22025 year old range. Coyler and Acres are C graders? they probably are. But then again, when freo played finals in 2012-15, Freo had a few C-graders or role players like Matt De Boer, Clancee Pearce and Nick Suban in the side too.

Lobb can be good but is Injury prone. I just want him to kick 30-35 goals a season, Along with Taberner. I agree, Hogan is a disaster considering he was a player we needed to fill a very important spot: A Key forward spot.

Yeah we could of got pick 5 and 6 who were king and rozee. then on the other hand 1 or both of them could of joined freo and suffered the same fate as Anthony Morabito or Harely Bennell or Michael Apeness.
For me you top up with mature age players when you are in the finals already. It rarely works the other way.

There’s literally not a single player in the AFL I would trade for pick 2. Maybe a 24 year old Dusty or Nat Fyfe but that’s it.
Cerra is probably worth around pick 6 or 7. If he turned in too many performances like last Sunday though that would drift out to pick 11 or 12 pretty quickly.
On the other hand, Two or three games like the melbourne match last year in cairns though and you are talking a top 5 pick.
I personally think he will stay and sign a 2 year deal. If he’s willing to sign that right now as was reported a couple of weeks back, I would put it in front of him and get it done. It would remove an irritating distraction and also make sucking (edit: sumich) look like an even bigger w***er. Win win.
That’s a bit silly imo. Depends on far too many factors.

Generally speaking, a known quantity is always better than a speculative pick any day of the week.

I understand the concept but you would think the dogs would want a lot for English
I personally dont think the Dogs would part with English anyway. Lost the window to steal him in 2019 when we looked at trading for him but didnt want to give up any first rounders for him. Which I agree with. But I dont know why theres even a suggestion of that now, Meek is a good ruckman, Lobb is a good F50 ruckman/FF and we have enough tall stocks to not really worry about that spot too much. I would jsut trade Darcy for picks..unless Pickett wants to come over? :D

Id trade a pick 2 for a Petracca, Williams (Bailey), Naughton etc.

I personally dont think the Dogs would part with English anyway. Lost the window to steal him in 2019 when we looked at trading for him but didnt want to give up any first rounders for him. Which I agree with. But I dont know why theres even a suggestion of that now, Meek is a good ruckman, Lobb is a good F50 ruckman/FF and we have enough tall stocks to not really worry about that spot too much. I would jsut trade Darcy for picks..unless Pickett wants to come over? :D
Yeah will be interesting to see if anything happens at all

For me you top up with mature age players when you are in the finals already. It rarely works the other way.
Yeah thats true....

Some teams that finish in the bottom 4 or bottom 6 for 3-4 years in a row just go and get the kids and hope theres a good batch of 23-26 year olds coming through 5 years down the track.

On the other hand, a team might finish 15th and have pick 4. very rate would a team trade pick 4 to get an established 24026 year old then use picks 22, 40, 58 and 76 on kids.

Some teams could trade pick 4 and get 2 mid-late 1st rounders like pick 13 and 16 and trade one to get an expereinced play and use the other for the draft.

Some teams do bring in 30-32 year olds on 1 or 2 year deals as a stop gap while the younger players are being developed too.

Would people here sign cerra for 2 years and risk losing him in the future or trade him now for a guy like Jason Horne?
I would trade him for the #1 pick in this draft, which is what you would need for Horne. Assuming North have the #1 pick, why would they give it up when they can get Cerra for nix in the Preseaon Draft or whatever draft mechanism there is? And why would Cerra go to North?

I would trade him for the #1 pick in this draft, which is what you would need for Horne. Assuming North have the #1 pick, why would they give it up when they can get Cerra for nix in the Preseaon Draft or whatever draft mechanism there is?
It's a bit early to say what position he will be in the draft but regardless will be difficult to snub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit silly, every player came through the draft at some point. I would trade pick 2 for lots of players.

Additionally (and this is a big tangent) if I got a hold of pick 1, unless there is someone miles ahead of anyone else (there never is), I would trade it for pick 3-5 (depending on the draft) and another late first if I could. History would show the difference between pick 1 and 5 is negligible IMO and footy is a team game that takes about 30 quality players to win a flag. Pick 1 is stupidly over rated

I would trade him for the #1 pick in this draft, which is what you would need for Horne. Assuming North have the #1 pick, why would they give it up when they can get Cerra for nix in the Preseaon Draft or whatever draft mechanism there is? And why would Cerra go to North?
A few things :Money, prefers to live at home in Vic, not having to travel every other week to play football (as someone who had done FIFO for 20 years, I gave up 280k a year to go to a 9-5 jsut because I was sick of travel)

I would definately trade pick 1 for a 24-26 year old Patrick Dangerfield or a 24-26 year old Fully fit Buddy franklin. But that is my personal view.

Cerra contracted is easily worth pick 12-15 at the right club. The bloke gets 20-25 disposals a gae and get a 30 disposal and 2-3 goal game occiasionally too.

Weird. Why wouldn’t you trade pick 2 for McDonald?

I would definately trade pick 1 for a 24-26 year old Patrick Dangerfield or a 24-26 year old Fully fit Buddy franklin. But that is my personal view.

Cerra contracted is easily worth pick 12-15 at the right club. The bloke gets 20-25 disposals a gae and get a 30 disposal and 2-3 goal game occiasionally too.
12 to 15 is about right. I agree with that.

Unless Cerra bombs the rest of the year, which I doubt, I’d be pissed if we didn’t get a pick around 5 if he left. He’s pretty much exactly what you expect from a top 5 pick except you get to skip the first 60 games of development. I understand the top 5 this year is rated real high and as uncontracted we’d be up s**t creek but it didn’t seem to matter for what Essendon got for Saad (which was ludicrous IMO)

Unless Cerra bombs the rest of the year, which I doubt, I’d be pissed if we didn’t get a pick around 5 if he left. He’s pretty much exactly what you expect from a top 5 pick except you get to skip the first 60 games of development. I understand the top 5 this year is rated real high and as uncontracted we’d be up sh*t creek but it didn’t seem to matter for what Essendon got for Saad (which was ludicrous IMO)
I want the club to try to get a priority pick this year. When you look at the criteria measured we pretty much qualify for it:

- Premiership points that a club has received over a period of years
- A club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
- Any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
- Any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons, and
- A club's injury rates in each relevant season

We have too many fringe/poorly skilled players on our list alongside multiple injury prone players. We need to get some class on our list.

Unless Cerra bombs the rest of the year, which I doubt, I’d be pissed if we didn’t get a pick around 5 if he left. He’s pretty much exactly what you expect from a top 5 pick except you get to skip the first 60 games of development. I understand the top 5 this year is rated real high and as uncontracted we’d be up sh*t creek but it didn’t seem to matter for what Essendon got for Saad (which was ludicrous IMO)
He is out of contract this season.... Good luck getting pick 5. if he was contracted, sure let the team pay overs.

Saints paid way overs for Brad Hill. WE got Brad Hill on a 5 year deal at $2.5 million over 5 years. $700,000 for the 1st 2 years, then $500,000 for year 3 and had he stayed on years 4 and 5, he would only be on $300,000 a year.

Saints caught wind of this and offered $900,000 a year for 5 or 6 years. They were that desperate that they offered Pick 10, pick 58, Blake Acres, a 2020 2nd and 2020 4th rounder. Freo originally wanted 2 1st rounders for Brad Hill. I didnt think the saints would do that. I was happy with that trade in the end. Considering the saints only got Brad Hill and a 3rd rounder.

I think theres a lesson. If you hand a 5 year deal to a player and its heavily front loaded for the 1st 2 years and they are on peanuts on years 4-5 and they play good footy, that play is going to complain. Say if Brad Hills contract was bascially $500,000 each year for 5 years. Would the saints still look at him? Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back