Roast Club Traitors: the new list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Hold on a second, that "chain-smoking idiot" is a 3xAA legend of the Melbourne football club.

Being vomited on by Gawnie is the best thing that happened to Scully in his career. He should be grateful.

that vomit achieved more than Scully did in their careers !!

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Tom Lynch and Steven May

joining fellow turncoat Leigh Colbert in exiting their clubs and while captains

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Troy Chaplin

proxy.php

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't begrudge Ablett taking the godfather Suns deal. Colbert another obvious one, but I think the Colbert side of that story is that he was being undermined, Kim Hughes-style by people who resented that he got the nod as captain.

Justin Murphy's a bit more under the radar as a Geelong example. But Bomba Thompson would just about have to top the list: wouldn't have minded him leaving, but it was pretty distasteful for him to be at Ablett all season to commit to the club, only for it to come out that he (Thompson) had been in conversations with Watson and Essendon for months during the same season.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kurt Tippett. We cheated the salary cap to try and keep him, and he still left

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
Jake Lever

I wouldn’t class Danger as a traitor, obviously it sucked to see him leave as it would’ve been amazing to see him in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never begrudge a player leaving for a longer contract, more money, and/or more opportunities.

Yep, people take it too personally.

I put together a list of all players who began their careers in/after 1995 and retired in/before 2015.

1,160 players fit that criteria. About 26% of them managed over 100 games, which is funny because I think a lot of people think of that as some sort of 'typical' career.

What's more interesting is that 340 of them (29%) only managed between 1-10 games in their career. Overall, the median games played for the above players is only 31. That's why I can't begrudge a player for taking an opposition offer for more years/money. I think we as fans get a warped view that most players are clocking up 100+ games, or even making a decent career out of football. AFL careers on average are relatively short, and even the players that do manage to sustain it over multiple years have their bodies give out in their early 30s. You've really only got one crack at playing footy professionally, so you may as well fleece the campaigners as much as you can.

1617790339190.png

And this isn't even including players that never managed a game. So this chart would be even more skewed towards the 0-5 gamers. I'm sure a great number of draftees never see their debut.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I think thats harsh, once you have already missed out on multiple premierships at a club it would be hard to ever really feel apart of it. For example even if he stays this year and plays in a flag he wouldnt get any credit compared to the player that have played in 3 or 4. I could understand a player leaving in that situation.
Maybe a tad harsh.But I bet Richo would give his left knackka too even have a opportunity too get close too one flag.
I never begrudge a player leaving for a longer contract, more money, and/or more opportunities.
Ironically he'd be getting a game with us atm.

Wayne Carey.

Not really the same. Boomer mentions in his book that all the players were obviously on Stevens' side on the scandal and that Carey jumped before he was pushed. In his own words, "if he hadn't resigned, he would have been sacked".

Edit: unless you meant that the affair itself was treacherous, in which case fair enough.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Not really the same. Boomer mentions in his book that all the players were obviously on Stevens' side on the scandal and that Carey jumped before he was pushed. In his own words, "if he hadn't resigned, he would have been sacked".

Edit: unless you meant that the affair itself was treacherous, in which case fair enough.

Carey absolutely qualifies. Off field actions shouldn't detract from the achievements of one of the all-time kick arse teams of the AFL era (half the premierships in the Roos' history were claimed in the mid to late 90s and North could have easily won three or four during that period), but unforunately they do.

Sorry to say, but when most people are asked about their memories of that champion team, the first thing that comes to mind would be the Carey/Stevens affair. And that's all down to Carey's selfishness and utter disregard for a close friend and 200+ game teammate.

Carey absolutely qualifies. Off field actions shouldn't detract from the achievements of one of the all-time kick arse teams of the AFL era (half the premierships in the Roos' history were claimed in the mid to late 90s and North could have easily won three or four during that period), but unforunately they do.

Sorry to say, but when most people are asked about their memories of that champion team, the first thing that comes to mind would be the Carey/Stevens affair. And that's all down to Carey's selfishness and utter disregard for a close friend and 200+ game teammate.

Yeah, I originally thought the bloke I was replying to was implying that the act of moving to Adelaide was the treachery. Obviously he was talking about the affair itself, in retrospect.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nick Stevens - Chucked a tanty when we wouldn’t let him walk to the Pies, went to the draft, Carlton nabbed him. Turns out he’s scum anyway so glad this is how he left.

Ben Jacobs - Bailed at our shittest, chucked a tanty when we didn’t like what we were offered, went to the draft. Ended up only playing 40 more games at North in 8 years than he did in 2 at Port

Troy Chaplin - Left at our worst while criticising everyone else on his way out. Showboated against us in 2014, he gets torn a new arsehole in the EF, is around at the Tigers for losing to 9th, us and North. Ends up bailing from Richmond right before their dynasty begins.

Yep. Higgins went with the blessing of just about all Tiger supporters. I'll enjoy watching him do well at the Saints if that transpires, as long as he struggles in that one game each year against us.

I wouldn’t say blessings. He had a promising start, we nursed him back from his medical issues and he bailed on us almost a short time after he was healthy again. Traitor is too harsh a word, but I don’t think blessings are in order either. I’d say most thought he was a bit of a selfish campaigner, but we wouldn’t be bothered booing him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Lynch and Steven May

joining fellow turncoat Leigh Colbert in exiting their clubs and while captains
yep Leigh Colbert is the big one for me. Gets made captain, does his knee and sits for the year and then demands a trade to the reigning premiers. The two he was traded for, Mooney and Enright served us pretty well though.

Back