Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

An AFL funded academy that has players going in to an open draft.
Open draft? Nobody wanted to touch Gulden or Wicks with a ten foot pole.

Instead Melbourne clubs were too busy naval gazing on players like Sam Philp.

Anyone could have drafted Warner. North passed on McDonald.

Most of this thread rests on two things:

1. Many Melbourne folk have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Sydney; and
2. Some clubs (E.g.Blues) have serious issues drafting and developing.

As for the Hawks fans in here.
Seriously do you have no shame?

You have won 4 flags in 12 years and U complain the comp is unfair?

Seriously. Not a hint of self awareness in these flogs. Where the * do u entitled flogs get off? Besides Kooyong station.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if afl is going to review this year? While sydney swans are in I believe a
good place with retention at the moment, and academy helps, as it should. My own son is a talented player and I hope if he makes afl it is with a sydney club, less likely to go wild if living at home aged 18 -22, I want academies to stay.
However I think GWS are not going well, needed at least 1 flag to really make them a solid club.
Appear to have stuffed up a truly golden roster in terms of high picks, as well as admirable mature aged players like Shaw, Griffin, Deledio,Johnson, Mumford, Scully, Davis, Ward.
What does this mean?
Will 20% points deduction go.
Will afl reorganize academies to get gws more good players?

Last edited:
Okay so first of all 2 NSW teams compared to 10 Vic teams, so NSW does not need to produce anywhere near the same amount of players to have the same amount of benefit from go home factor.

Second of all the difference is the Swans can match bids on those players without using those picks, adding 4 top 10 quality players without using any top 10 picks on them is a huge leg up. They added top 5 talents whilst playing in GF's, they added another top 5 talent with a second round pick and change.

3rd of all Sydney don't have player retention issues, they are adding these Sydney kids to combat an issue the club has not suffered from all whilst being such a strong and well run club they are able to draw talent to the club from interstate which is something that most of the small Vic clubs can not even do.
None of your points are relevant.
The point is the entire brand of AFL is a provincial joke without NSW and Qld. Especially NSW.
As it stands there needs to be a visible pathway for local talented kids to be seen to end up at the Swans or GWS or Brisbane or GC.
It's about creating a culture and a system
Perception is as important as reality.
It's about getting parents to feel ok about their kids playing the sport.

Or U can just go back to ur shitty little provincial comp.

Does anybody know if all is going to review this year? While sydney swans are in I believe a
good place with retention at the moment, and academy helps, as it should. My own son is a talented player and I hope if he makes afl it is with a sydney club, less likely to go wild if living at home aged 18 -22, I want academies to stay.
However I think GWS are not going well, needed at least 1 flag to really make them a solid club.
Appear to have stuffed up a truly golden roster in terms of high picks, as well as admirable mature aged players like shaw, Griffin, Deledio,Johnson, Mumford, Scilly, Davis, Ward.
What does this mean?
Will 20% points deduction go.
Will afl reorganize academies to get gws more good players?
Will just take some time.

AFL draft.

We won’t put resources into it then. Simple. AFL won’t allow it.

Just decrease or eliminate the discounts that’s honestly all we need to do. It’s not complicated

Show me the player retention issues that the Swans have suffered

Not to mention adding Campbell one of the elite few at the top end of the draft that is one of the best kicks i have seen coming through the Draft in a few years for a second pick and some change is a HUGE win. This is not some slight upgrade.
It's not just recent.

Didn't a bloke called Rocca play for the Swans at one stage?

An AFL funded academy that has players going in to an open draft.

I think every agrees on that, but the AFL have failed catastrophically on this in the past. It would seem that in order to run a successful academy, it needs a competitive element with an incentive for both the boys and the institute that runs it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just recent.

Didn't a bloke called Rocca play for the Swans at one stage?
Not to mention Dunkley who didn’t want to move up.

There’s a shitload of examples of players not wanting to be interstate. Nankervis was another. This year Archie Perkins made his feelings clear.

One side the critics don’t look at is that for every Heeney, Mills and Campbell ADDED to the pool, the quality of the picks following goes up one rung.

Want Teams to pay closer to true price.

The advantage is that you get is home grown talent who know your system.

The first round picks should be 30-50% in terms of points.

If you look at pick trades, teams upgrading picks pay an extra 30-50% more in points.

Why would Sydney bother investing $2 million per year to make it even more costly to draft local talent?

Why would Sydney bother investing $2 million per year to make it even more costly to draft local talent?

We pay for all of the development and coaches etc. but the higher end talent is likely to be snapped up by a team that did absolutely nothing other than watch some YouTube videos. Yeah nah.

I agree that the discount should potentially be lowered but I don’t see why the discount should change based on some arbitrary ranking of where a player may be picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We pay for all of the development and coaches etc. but the higher end talent is likely to be snapped up by a team that did absolutely nothing other than watch some YouTube videos. Yeah nah.

I agree that the discount should potentially be lowered but I don’t see why the discount should change based on some arbitrary ranking of where a player may be picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teams upgrading into the first round pay an extra 30-50% points.

The fact is the bid players teams pay about 30-50% of the true cost.

Swans have played by the rules and have build a great team without going through any hardship.

This old chestnut again. Seems you just follow your loud mouth boss.

Swans are so enraged about Collingwood getting some farther son picks they forget that they have been around since 1897 in the VFL/AFL and have all the same rights
To be fair, it's a little disingenuous to suggest that their academy picks should be curtailed by way of changes to the bidding system, but then the father-son picks should be left as is - given that the very fact you quoted about it being around for the past 124 years, is the very reason why father-son picks favour Victoria clubs far more than interstate clubs. Maybe not Sydney or Brisbane as much per se, but, across the board, it overwhelmingly favours the inception clubs hailing from Vic.

You'll get Daicos this year, but moving forward, it should be equalized across the board with an open first round free of bids for NGA's/Father-sons/Northern Academies - no exceptions for any bid type. It's the only way to establish any sort of modicum of equalization across the drafting process.

To be fair, it's a little disingenuous to suggest that their academy picks should be curtailed by way of changes to the bidding system, but then the father-son picks should be left as is - given that the very fact you quoted about it being around for the past 124 years, is the very reason why father-son picks favour Victoria clubs far more than interstate clubs.

You'll get Daicos this year, but moving forward, it should be equalized across the board with an open round for NGA's/Father-sons/Northern Academies - no exceptions for any bid type.
It’s only GWS and Gold Coast who are at a disadvantage when it comes to father sons and they get every other concession under the sun.

We need to get rid of NGAs they are a complete joke. No academy player is allowed to be matched in the first 2 rounds

The thing is if someone drafts a Swans kid they take a risk of them wanting to go home seeing that part of the reason the academy was introduced to fight the go home factor hurting these clubs disproportionately it still achieves its goals

Back