NO TROLLS Should AFL players bend the knee before each match in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

CaptainCripps13

Debutant
Mar 29, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Also if you think we don’t have a problem with race ask yourself would you like to born Aboriginal if you had a choice? Too many kids born into a life of disadvantage already starting behind the 8 ball. Now you can argue over whether some of it is self inflicted or how you fix it, but the point is we need to talk about the issue.

I am for practical solutions. Try and support Indigenous business or donate $10 per month to an education fund for Indigenous youths.

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you see someone taking a knee around, for example, indigenous deaths in custody and your reply is centred around “white people die in custody too!” then I have some good news for you. There is nothing stopping you from going out and trying to raise awareness of the issue that white people are dying in a manner they shouldn’t.

But if you feel no need to go and campaign about the issue on behalf of white people, then I’d question how much of a problem you truely feel it is, and why your bothering with the comparison because it otherwise seems like you just want to disrupt what could be a positive conversation, and don’t want to hear about issues someone else might care about.

Last edited:

CaptainCripps13

Debutant
Mar 29, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
If you see someone taking a knee around, for example, indigenous deaths in custody and your reply is centred around “white people die in custody too!” then I have some good news for you. There is nothing stopping you from going out and trying to raise awareness of the devastating issue that white people are dying in a manner they shouldn’t.

But if you feel no need to go and campaign about the issue on behalf of white people, then I’d question how much of a problem you truely feel it is, and why your bothering with the comparison because it otherwise seems like you just don’t want to hear about issues someone else might care about.

In fairness most people don’t want to be campaigners. It is only those under 35 who have gone through activist training in our education system since preschool. Even then 80% plus are smart enough to opt out.

Now personally I love a good protest - marching, chanting and signs. Why not?

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
So male kids don't get any legal services?
If you feel so passionately about it, go and campaign for it. Or take a knee to bring awareness to it. You can pick and choose what you wish to support.

I get the feeling you don’t care about it at all and this ‘gotcha’ thing you think you’ve got going across the last 10 pages is getting old.

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
In fairness most people don’t want to be campaigners. It is only those under 35 who have gone through activist training in our education system since preschool. Even then 80% plus are smart enough to opt out.

Now personally I love a good protest - marching, chanting and signs. Why not?
Well unfortunately for them others can feel passionate about specific causes or issues - if they don’t feel the need to get involved, fine! But it doesn’t mean others can’t either.

JZ_Skitzo

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Seahawks
Except it does. Players went off to war and some never came back.

Nice reach there, but ok. I'll say fair enough. Players were directly impacted by War. So it's allowed in sport? Hence ANZAC day.

That then sets a precedent, surely.

Players kneeling for injustice that black/indigenous people experience. Directly impacts black/indigenous players of said sport. Therefore should be allowed in sport.

Female player kneeling for gender equality. Directly impacts female players. Therefore should be allowed in sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
By now you've probably heard about what happened in a recent Rugby match between Ireland and Wales.

I've seen on other forums, e.g. EPL forums, people wondering whether it is time for EPL players to stop bending the knee before each match.

Does anybody know if the AFL (and / or AFLPA) has already released a statement about their plans on this front for 2021?

And what do you think: should bending the knee become an ingrained part of the AFL, and happen before every game from now on?

Or do you want to see the AFL reduce its overt support for the BLM political movement?
Taking a knee shouldn't be mandated. But if you want to take a knee go for it. Standing to attention for a Scottish melody isn't any more meaningful and in many ways less.

Keep the politics out of footy pls
I know people want that, but sports are a part of society. There are advertisers. Advertisers have to be appealing to consumers. Consumers have ideas about what they want to see on the playing field.

Things like the black power salute, apartheid boycotts, Muhammed Ali and the Winmar gesture were also often condemned by those at the time as unnecessary intrusions of politics into sport...

Those condemning taking the knee by sportspeople will be relegated to footnotes of history - nothing is surer.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know people want that, but sports are a part of society. There are advertisers. Advertisers have to be appealing to consumers. Consumers have ideas about what they want to see on the playing field.
No,. Thats just called pandering. And we need to be stronger and better than that. it ABSOLUTELY can just be for what it is , sport. Leave the rest to imbeciles arguing and virtue signaling on soical media. Where the rest of of us can ignore all the constant look at me virtue bullshit.

No,. Thats just called pandering. And we need to be stronger and better than that. it ABSOLUTELY can just be for what it is , sport. Leave the rest to imbeciles arguing and virtue signaling on soical media. Where the rest of of us can ignore all the constant look at me virtue bullshit.
Sport can be a powerful force for social change, look at South Africa.

Reality is that there is money involved. “Stronger” means operating on less money. See if your club will give up money so your players can call the opposition nasty names.
How much money does kneeling before games generate? Not much, I’d imagine.
Sport can be a powerful force for social change, look at South Africa.
What social change?

How much money does kneeling before games generate? Not much, I’d imagine.
You're being obtuse here.

There was a broader question of "purity of sport". Keeping politics out of sport.

Nobody said individual acts had a specific dollar value attached, though I am sure someone with knowledge of these things could analyse the available numbers and estimate the cost to a club of specific incidents.

Kneeling specifically - I am sure there would be repercussions of clubs demanding their players not kneel in support of indigenous against systemic racism and violence.

You're being obtuse here.

There was a broader question of "purity of sport". Keeping politics out of sport.

Nobody said individual acts had a specific dollar value attached, though I am sure someone with knowledge of these things could analyse the available numbers and estimate the cost to a club of specific incidents.

Kneeling specifically - I am sure there would be repercussions of clubs demanding their players not kneel in support of indigenous against systemic racism and violence.
Generally, keeping it to a minimum so not as to attract attention wouldn’t deplete sponsorship value at all, in my opinion. And too much of it will turn viewers off. I stopped watching the NBA/EPL forever because it was too over the top. many are sick of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back