Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
We have a trade in thread where we can't mention our players, but we should have a who should we possibly trade out thread.

I'm not going to name individual players to start the thread.

However I will say we have too many slow inside midfielders where our over abundance is tradeable to team who needs a slow in and under midfielder.

I will also say we have way too many hbf who would walk into almost every team in the league... and we possibly run 6 deep in that position. They can't all play there when all fit and back so if they can't transition somewhere else they can't all accept a back pocket. There is still 2 too many. So we have tradeable players who are good but we have an over abundance of them.

You don't trade for trading sake. But when we started a rebuild under clarko many years ago we were ruthless with our trading blokes out. We only became a truly trading team in once we became competitive.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
BREUST

GUNSTON
Well Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, im guessing if Clarko decides that is the path he'll do it. He made it very clear to both Smith and Bruest last year he wouldn't stand in their way. One took it one stayed. I have no issue with what either decide 2 do.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Considering Worpels game has gone down dramatically since Mitchell came back into the team would it be stupid to suggest you trade Mitchell and get good currency and have a younger inside mid like Worpel for the next 10 years?
I’m not here for bait and if you don’t want an outsiders opinion just delete

sociable hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Considering Worpels game has gone down dramatically since Mitchell came back into the team would it be stupid to suggest you trade Mitchell and get good currency and have a younger inside mid like Worpel for the next 10 years?
It is not as stupid as it sounds but would only be worth it for a first round draft pick.
Would you give up a first for him, that is probably the biggest question.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
It is not as stupid as it sounds but would only be worth it for a first round draft pick.
Would you give up a first for him, that is probably the biggest question.
Well we give up first round picks for blokes like Henderson and Touhy but we also don’t have any till next year.
Would any other team give up a first for him, IMO without a doubt

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
We have a trade in thread where we can't mention our players, but we should have a who should we possibly trade out thread.

I'm not going to name individual players to start the thread.

However I will say we have too many slow inside midfielders where our over abundance is tradeable to team who needs a slow in and under midfielder.

I will also say we have way too many hbf who would walk into almost every team in the league... and we possibly run 6 deep in that position. They can't all play there when all fit and back so if they can't transition somewhere else they can't all accept a back pocket. There is still 2 too many. So we have tradeable players who are good but we have an over abundance of them.

You don't trade for trading sake. But when we started a rebuild under clarko many years ago we were ruthless with our trading blokes out. We only became a truly trading team in once we became competitive.

is this time travel from 2010?

sociable hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You want to trade Mitchell for the Pussie's 1st round pick?
The cats don't have a first round pick this year, so be no trade from them unless they couId somehow get 1. I think you would want a top 10 pick to really contemplate doing it.
He is 28 this year and if he guaranteed a top pick I wouldn't be against it. 2 top 10 picks can accelerate our shot at the next flag.
I personally think that we are at least 5 years away from a serious shot at a premiership.
It took 7 years from our 2001 draft to win a flag and that is having a luxury of the 2004 draft. 3 picks out of first 7, roughy, buddy and lewy. Ya don't get that these days.
Like I said, only my opinion and it's not like I dislike Tom Mitchell, was just replying to someone's hypothetical question,.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Well you want to trade someone with currency and we've missed the boat regarding Gunston and Bruest who are 30 and 31 at seasons end so we might as well keep them.

I'd have to say one of Mitchell or Worpel if the offer is right, the two of them have yet to show they can play well in the same midfield.

Mitchell is obviously the far superior footballer but he's turning 28 this season, will he be part of our next contending team ?

Worpel has dropped off a cliff, is 2019 a career season for him in just the 2nd year of his career ?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The cats don't have a first round pick this year, so be no trade from them unless they couId somehow get 1. I think you would want a top 10 pick to really contemplate doing it.
He is 28 this year and if he guaranteed a top pick I wouldn't be against it. 2 top 10 picks can accelerate our shot at the next flag.
I personally think that we are at least 5 years away from a serious shot at a premiership.
It took 7 years from our 2001 draft to win a flag and that is having a luxury of the 2004 draft. 3 picks out of first 7, roughy, buddy and lewy. Ya don't get that these days.
Like I said, only my opinion and it's not like I dislike Tom Mitchell, was just replying to someone's hypothetical question,.

Any club that is at least 5 years away is at least 10 years away.

A 5 year plan is what Melbourne and Carlton had 15 years ago.

Personally I hate these sort of threads, but I'm gonna answer it seriously for once. Honestly, I don't think we trade anyone - but if we were going to consider anything it'd be one of Mitchell or Worpel, particularly if they continue to struggle finding a second role this season. They struggle to perform in the same midfield, given that they're both ball players and go to ground too often.

Edit: Just read the thread properly and noticed HR beat me to it. It truly is end times.

Worpel had a great 2019, but he was afforded a huge amount of freedom on the back of JO'M's defensive work.

There's some mitigating circumstances, but we can't really bank on those being his regular output levels as he's just not consistently shown it since.

Maybe by 25, if he's had 3yrs consistent quality then you could consider trading out a Mitchell but from today's perspective you'd be losing a Brownlow Medallist & replacing him with a lesser player without defensive nous & questionable disposal.

We'd be mad to do it.

Probs also pretty handy to have 2x guys that play this position well, or at least 1x guy that plays it very well whilst the other develops.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
It is an interesting question, "who should we trade?", i dont know if we should trade anyone, but maybe we could trade a couple of players to maximise our likelihood of success in the future, there are a few players we could consider imo, i do think our midfield isnt as strong as we need it to be to be a top 4 challenger and premiership threat, i think Shiels is solid without being great and then we have 2 of the same type in Mitchell and Worpel, one could definitely be traded if we need to freshen up the midfield and if that were the case Worpel could be traded, not sure if i want that as he is young and has a decent future ahead of him?, im also not sold on Howe in the midfield, so i think theres options to improve our midfield in the near future, as for the half back line, i think 1 player i would contemplate trading would be Impey, i like his speed off half back and occasional bravery is good, but his average disposal and a few times when he shirks the contest makes me think our depth in that area of the ground could see him either move forward or be an option for trade if the club thinks it prudent.

we dont need to trade any of these players, but we could move them on for better assets in the future if we choose to imo.

Oct 23, 2006
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chi Bulls, LV Raiders
If we finish low, as expected, this is the off season to make a high value trade out.

Another first plus our first and second plus the Pies second gives us a good shot at 4 kids in the top 25 to 30 perhaps. Great springboard for growth.

Worpel is the trade out I'd choose.

Last edited:
From what I've seen this year, we have swapped their roles a reasonable amount, it looks to me like Worps is doing the defensive work to free up Jaegar this year.
No he is not. The last game we went man on man. He was assigned to Guthrie in the last and couldn't impact. The game against Richmond Worps was found out defensively quite a few times especially when taking the center bounce. JOM and shiels and the rest of our defensive structure were buggered chasing tail and filling holes. Worps is struggling. He is trying really hard to have an impact but his kicking has also gone to s**t. I am not suggesting we trade him btw

Back