AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Opportunities are very hard to come by and last year was the year for Freo or us; and I think we were better placed than them, apart from their home ground advantage.

In my opinion the competition will be tougher next year and we will need to improve, not least in attack where I think we need another tall marking option.

It appeared to me that we tried to use Emma King as our tall, going forward most of the time after taking the centre bounces and Vivien Saad doing most of the around the ground work. I wonder if they contemplated using Vivien more as a key forward and leaving Emma to play a more kick behind the play role? While Vivien may not be as a strong a mark as Emma, she is always hard at the ball and would be likely to give our small forwards lots of opportunities to crumb and goal.
I reckon Viv is actually a pretty good contested mark and she does hold her ground well she just isn't a very good, consistent kick. I think she lacks penetration and accuracy, I can see her improving a bit but I am not sure she would ever get it good enough to be the forward we need.

On the forwards I hope Kashy works on kicking those goals where she runs down the wing and gets a long range shot. I reckon she had half a dozen but missed them, albeit a couple of posters. If she nailed those regularly that would be amazing.

Serious question (seriously)...

In last week's game, the Collingwood girl, Tarni Brown had a brain fade and picked up the ball in the backline, turned towards goal and had a shot. She was maybe 15 or 20m out and not under pressure.

North were awarded a behind of course.

But should there not have been a free kick from the goal line paid to North?

It shouldn't matter if it was a dumb-* moment from Brown. The rule is there to be paid.

That changes the result of the match in one fleeting moment.

In last week's game, the Collingwood girl, Tarni Brown had a brain fade and picked up the ball in the backline, turned towards goal and had a shot. She was maybe 15 or 20m out and not under pressure.

It shouldn't matter if it was a dumb-fu** moment from Brown. The rule is there to be paid.

I think you might be on the money there SoS. I never gave it a thought at the time and instead had a good laugh.

If I understand the rules correctly and it was deemed to be insufficient pressure to rush a behind, then it should have been a free to us. I don't think she was under pressure.

I think you might be on the money there SoS. I never gave it a thought at the time and instead had a good laugh.

If I understand the rules correctly and it was deemed to be insufficient pressure to rush a behind, then it should have been a free to us. I don't think she was under pressure.
I reckon you're correct. I demand a recount!
Commentators had a laugh at the time as well. Not one person in the broadcast box mentioned the rule.

It would have been a cruel blow against Brown but the rule was clearly broken and not correctly officiated.

It shouldn't matter if it was a dumb-fu** moment from Brown. The rule is there to be paid.

To me that's the same as calling it deliberate out of bounds if you have a shot at goal and it goes out for a throw in. Not really the intention of the rule.

I like your thinking but you couldn’t rule that she was deliberately forcing a behind.

I like your thinking but you couldn’t rule that she was deliberately forcing a behind.
I guess the best option for a defender in future is for them to boot the ball through the oppo goal, do a fist pump then run back towards the centre high fiving team mates, then pretending to be absolutely stunned when they "realise" they kicked the ball through the wrong goal.

Last edited:

That was halfway through the quarter. There is no way known that a football player forgets which way they are kicking so deep into the quarter, or whether they are 20 metres from their attacking goal or the opposition's goal. Not even an Under 12 footballer would make that mistake. Granted it very occasionally happens out of the centre at the start of a quarter, but never deep in defence and halfway through a quarter. She is either the dumbest person to ever pull on a football boot, or that was the most cynical rushed behind.

If anyone was watching Lions v Pies - those two run to far decisions could have cost the Lions there spot in the Grand Final.

Brown ran a marathon for not too far, the Lions player possibly marginally over the distance & called for too far. Exactly same spot on the ground. Not sure if same umpire.

Anyway, Lions trying for third time lucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone was watching Lions v Pies - those two run to far decisions could have cost the Lions there spot in the Grand Final.

Brown ran a marathon for not too far, the Lions player possibly marginally over the distance & called for too far. Exactly same spot on the ground. Not sure if same umpire.

Anyway, Lions trying for third time lucky.
Umpiring standards as poor in finals as the rest of the season. The week off looked like a clear advantage today, Lions looked fresher - also sharper in front of goal. Entertaining game to the end, anyway, where the Crows game was only watchable if you wanted to see a dominant team do its thing. Adelaide at home looks unbeatable.

The ladies B&F is on Wednesday the 28th (tickets $135 for memers). Should be a great night. Anyone involved in the AFLW player Sponsor program head over to that thread and enter the draw if you're keen to come along.

Should be a pretty close race for the honors this year, my tip is the Captain to take it out from Jas Garner with Kashy a bit of a dark horse after a very consistent season.

From The Age:

It makes me who I am’: Girls relieved to be back on the footy field
By Jackson Graham
April 17, 2021 — 6.00am

As their heroes take centre stage for the AFLW grand final on Saturday, the future of the game is being played on local ovals.

Girls and women are once again lacing up their boots after a year without club footy.
The number of female football players nationwide has jumped from 380,000 in 2016 to 600,000 now, and some clubs are reporting even greater enthusiasm from teams than before the pandemic.
The coronavirus cancelled last year’s Victorian community league seasons and left new teams wondering if the growth would continue.

But at Moonee Valley Football Club there are 30 more junior players this year and an extra junior and senior team. The club now has more than 170 female players, after starting with just 17 in 2016.
“I was worried with a year off from football it’s quite easy for senior and junior players to lose their love of the game,” club secretary Hannah Greasley said. “It is extremely pleasing to see more numbers come back this year.”

I hope Jazzy polls well in the AFLW B 'n F tonight, deserves recognition for an outstanding season.
Kearney has a better shot of winning the whole thing than what Jasmine has of polling 5+ votes, or so history tells us.

In any case, hard to see either not getting recognition via the AA team. Perhaps the more pertinent question will be whether Emma King undeservingly gets in ahead of Breann Moody. And, if so, whether that will be offset by a couple undeserving Carlton inclusions in other positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back