Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep. Both supporter bases would feel they had part of their old identity in any merge. Melbourne have the name, the home base and the basic jumper. Fitzroy have the Fitzroy Lion emblem and the colours. Plenty of opportunity to watch the side play in Melbourne.

It's the only way a merger of Melbourne clubs could work. The only other compatible clubs in this regard would be North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

Fully agree. That’s what a true merger is.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Didn't sound like that with the talk of the new stadium in Hobart
That's because Hobart needs a new stadium. Bellerive isn't big enough and can't be upgraded further because it's surrounded by houses. York Park can and will be upgraded.

The plan is for Launceston to host the big drawing games in the first few years with Hobart the others. Then, once a new stadium is built in Hobart they would switch.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
That's because Hobart needs a new stadium. Bellerive isn't big enough and can't be upgraded further because it's surrounded by houses. York Park can and will be upgraded.

The plan is for Launceston to host the big drawing games in the first few years with Hobart the others. Then, once a new stadium is built in Hobart they would switch.
I hear the Showgrounds is to become a housing development. Imo nows the time in conjunction with the GCC, I know big ask, to consider an intergrated plan for the city of Glenorchy to include KGV as a possible sight for an upgraded redevelopment of the ground going forward to include a possible tassie side. Imo get on the front foot.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
I hear the Showgrounds is to become a housing development. Imo nows the time in conjunction with the GCC, I know big ask, to consider an intergrated plan for the city of Glenorchy to include KGV as a possible sight for an upgraded redevelopment of the ground going forward to include a possible tassie side. Imo get on the front foot.
I still think Mac Point is the perfect spot for it. Walking distance to CBD/Salamanca. Would appeal greatly to tourists.

Glenorchy would have good access from the highway, but is a bit of a shithole.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I still think Mac Point is the perfect spot for it. Walking distance to CBD/Salamanca. Would appeal greatly to tourists.

Glenorchy would have good access from the highway, but is a bit of a shithole.

I fully agree but try getting anything past the HCC is impossible. You’ll find they’ll drag it out so long that we’ll all be dead before the first sod of earth is moved.

in regards to Glenorchy. It won’t be a shithole for long with a new housing development at its doorstep. It’ll change dramatically imo.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
I fully agree but try getting anything past the HCC is impossible. You’ll find they’ll drag it out so long that we’ll all be dead before the first sod of earth is moved.

in regards to Glenorchy. It won’t be a shithole for long with a new housing development at its doorstep. It’ll change dramatically imo.
Yeah. I think it's probably too late to make Mac Point work too. They will start building on the current plan for the site next year.

KGV could work well with the light rail if that ever happens.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I would think KGV would have similar issues to an extent as Bellerive oval being jammed in around suburban streets the only upside is walking distance to the bus mall and the rail line if it was ever to be put back into use

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah. I think it's probably too late to make Mac Point work too. They will start building on the current plan for the site next year.

KGV could work well with the light rail if that ever happens.

I have my doubts about the light rail because I’ve heard that proposal as long as I’ve heard about the cable car.

KGV works well because in conjunction with the DEC redevelopment they would piggy back off each other. Like I said imo I think Glenorchy is on for some change and now is the perfect time for the GCC to get on the front foot. Gets some stadium plans, infrastructure plans etc in motion so they’re ready when the time comes, which will be sooner than later imo

How much money have they wasted on Bellerive in the past few years then, if they don't plan on using it going forward? Remember back in the day when it was going to be cricket in Hobart and footy in Launceston? Now that they've stuffed up the cricket they'll want all the footy.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I would think KGV would have similar issues to an extent as Bellerive oval being jammed in around suburban streets the only upside is walking distance to the bus mall and the rail line if it was ever to be put back into use

It has some issues but is streets ahead of Bellerive. Like I’ve said imo Glenorchy is on the cusp of change. It’s closer to a transport hub, walking distance yo be honest. Eateries. Has DEC down the road that allows for duel use of infrastructure. It has way way more upside than Bellerive.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
How much money have they wasted on Bellerive in the past few years then, if they don't plan on using it going forward? Remember back in the day when it was going to be cricket in Hobart and footy in Launceston? Now that they've stuffed up the cricket they'll want all the footy.

That was in the old days of the old school north v south so political parties used it for their own purposes. The state has moved on since then. I always believed Bellerive would turn out to be a white elephant.

That was in the old days of the old school north v south so political parties used it for their own purposes. The state has moved on since then. I always believed Bellerive would turn out to be a white elephant.
I do not believe much has changed as far as the north/south thing is concerned. They will want all the games down in Hobart and will torpedo everything if they don't get it.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I do not believe much has changed as far as the north/south thing is concerned. They will want all the games down in Hobart and will torpedo everything if they don't get it.

I disagree. I speak to a lot of young people down there regularly, I’ll also be there for the GF, and they laugh at the old fellas & their north/south 1960’s stuff. It’s used as a political tool, as I’ve stated. The business case states what it’s going to be.it’s going to be a north/south split. There’s no way that will ever change, there’s to much money having the whole state involved than having half the population involved.

You sound like your from the north, my advice is stop listening to those local politicians they’re using scare tactics to get you thinking they’re the only ones that will look out for you. They’re not they’re looking after themselves. That’s what they’ve always done.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
The older guys (50+) still go on about north v south, but heaps of younger people don’t care. Many go to uni at different ends of the state and travel back and forth regularly.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Fox Sports B. Waterworth D. Zita 8.3

More details on Mc Guire's pro Tas.19 team Footy Classified comments, which he has discussed with other snr AFL figures (He didn't say they necessarily agreed with him).

Mc Guire apparently wants the "Northern Crocodiles" to be privately owned, paying a $100m licence fee, & to play at least 2 games pa in Los Angeles.

"Mc Guire reported a licence fee of $100m had been spoken about previously".

"Mc Guire received support for the move from former AFL Chief Executive A. Demetriou"- & Demetriou's quoted comments are included in the link.

Mc Guire said

Re Plans "...for a full Festival Of Football [in Tas.]...& a genuine show to Tas. that we love them".

Demetriou said there is "... no will, no stomach, for a team to be relocated" permanently to Tas.; & he supports a Tas. 19th team, as "Tasmanians prefer their own team, as they should". Demetriou also said a 20th team would eventually enter, the extra Rights' $ help pay for the Tas. 19th team.
Mc Guire said he agreed with Demetriou's comments, & "I think most in the AFL decision-making department do too".

Video of Mc Guire's & Demetriou's Footy Classified full comments

Last edited:

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Fox Sports B. Waterworth D. Zita 8.3

More details on Mc Guire's pro Tas.19 team Footy Classified comments, which he has discussed with other snr AFL figures.

Mc Guire apparently wants the "Northern Crocodiles" to be privately owned, & to play at least 2 games pa in Los Angeles.

"Mc Guire reported a licence fee of $100m had been spoken about previously".

"Mc Guire received support for the move from former AFL Chief Executive A. Demetriou"- & Demetriou's quoted comments are included in the link.

😂😂😂the plagiaristic plonker pinching the business case of an LA side that was proposed in the late eighties. What a dickhead.

So if North get demoted to the VFL, it makes you think should the AFL bring in a relegation system for the bottom 4 teams? I'm not sure it would sit well with North fans if they're stuck in the VFL forever at the expense of new teams.

YAYAYAYAY... GO THE BOROUGH!

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah the Glenorchy area is changing quite a lot you will also have the redeveloped entertainment centre with the nbl based there soon as well as the future developments that’s planned on the surrounding land and future Mona expansions it’s also only 6km to Hobart cbd

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Yeah the Glenorchy area is changing quite a lot you will also have the redeveloped entertainment centre with the nbl based there soon as well as the future developments that’s planned on the surrounding land and future Mona expansions it’s also only 6km to Hobart cbd
Glenorchy could do quite well if Kristie Johnston is elected and holds the balance of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back