Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haverchuck

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Beware the hyphenated names, Rhys-Jones

You sound rather jubilant about that. Smacks of I told you so, really won't know until he's given a go. It is just rd.3 for a start, for all we know he was being played as a forward. Anybody watch the game.
According to someone on another site he was playing forward and they reckon he got about 20 disposals...

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Firstly id like to say that you are most likely the best scum supporter i have seen for a while and your posts are considered and well thought out and beautifully constructed.

I think the Tigers will adapt and tweak the game plan to include 3 talls and 3 smalls with a tall going further up when Dusty rolls through and will compress the backline. But not going to be this week
Im not expecting a win against Port on their deck

Are you sure you are a scum supporter ? You sure your dad was not a Tiger
Replace most likely with certainly, please.

I have close family ties to some Richmond players of the 60s and 70s, when men were men, so there you go.

Richmond have as much good foot skills as other sides, they just haven't deployed that as much in their system. There is speed all over park, it needs to redeployed.

Finally, if you've ever been over to the Pies board, that's why I'm here.

amc11

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Looks like the very short kicking didn't go unnoticed by our coaching staff!

Damien Hardwick calls on the umpires to monitor the distance of Sydney’s kicking
Everyone in footy is in love with Sydney’s new game style. But do the umpires need to monitor one element a lot closer? Damien Hardwick thinks so.

Damien Hardwick says he will challenge umpires to closely monitor Sydney’s short-kicking game style after it picked apart Richmond’s defence.
The three-time premiership coach conceded his backline struggled to combat the Swans’ fast ball movement in the 45-point loss at the MCG, but questioned the distance of some of their passes.

“Their short probing game was evident,” Hardwick said.

“The distance of kick, the shortness, was really hard to defend.

“That’s something we’ll look at and we’ll challenge the umpires on, that distance of kick.”

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
My concerns are the age demographic of the team and the impact new rules have on our style of play.

Going by the last 21 yrs of history or since 2000, teams that have played in Grand Finals with a team average age of 27 years plus have invariably gone into decline.
Our 2020 premiership team averaged 27yrs and 43 days. Against Sydney we averaged 27yrs and 51 days and that was minus Houli and Vlastuin.

Going by the above I believe we are at a point where regeneration is a must. I also believe we are very close to the point where finding a way to bring in top end talent is becoming a must. Our top end is our veterans.

Imo to win the G/F this year we need to introduce some youth and we need to find some better skills and size.

Our mids were thrashed against Sydney and that problem is made worse with the loss of Prestia and Maybe Cotchin?. We also currently have a pile of role players who are not performing.

Changes this week are sort of no brainers. We need to change the fwd dynamic, we can't have three or four players who are so uninvolved.

For me one of Aarts or Rioli has to go, i lean towards Rioli as i dont think he has given a yelp so far this yr. I really would like to see RCD play in his place starting forward and rotating thru the midfield with Dusty.

No Cotchin Play Martyn.
No Prestia the obvious choice is Ross.
No McIntosh Play Ralphsmith suspension ?
Houli has to come in for DES again pretty clear cut imo.
RCD in for Rioli or Aarts.

Would also like to see a second ruck for this game, the most likely option is Chol i would say. Not hard to find someone to drop this week.
Thats a lot of changes. Some would say its throwing the baby out with the bath water!! I really think you could justify all of them.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Replace most likely with certainly, please.

I have close family ties to some Richmond players of the 60s and 70s, when men were men, so there you go.

Richmond have as much good foot skills as other sides, they just haven't deployed that as much in their system. There is speed all over park, it needs to redeployed.

Finally, if you've ever been over to the Pies board, that's why I'm here.

I got banned from the pies board without even posting there lol
I was debating with a silly pies supporter about the quality of the collingwood list and called Dayne Beams a money sucker just after he arrived on the main board and they banned me from the pies board. Now they all think exactly what i did back then.

Special breed that lot there but from my side your always welcome here mate

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond

Damien Hardwick calls on the umpires to monitor the distance of Sydney’s kicking
Everyone in footy is in love with Sydney’s new game style. But do the umpires need to monitor one element a lot closer? Damien Hardwick thinks so.

Damien Hardwick says he will challenge umpires to closely monitor Sydney’s short-kicking game style after it picked apart Richmond’s defence.
The three-time premiership coach conceded his backline struggled to combat the Swans’ fast ball movement in the 45-point loss at the MCG, but questioned the distance of some of their passes.

“That’s something we’ll look at and we’ll challenge the umpires on, that distance of kick.”
Put it this way, if the Sydney players ran without bouncing as far as their foot passes went, no way that they'd have been penalised.

Last edited:

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Welcome aboard tiger , ignore the drivel the mods are on Easter holidays. I personally hate arguing , I’d much rather people agreed with everything I said , carry on
Say something agreeable then!!!

;)

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Most of all pleased Martyn was selected.
Have been suggesting it for some weeks.
He has a fearless tough quality.
Can instill fear in the leading Port mids.
Pleased for Mansell too.
Houston is the player who must be stopped, he breaks through the lines when Port plays well.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Sydney certainly an outlier in terms of high scores.
They like to isolate the defender.
Matches will probably revert to the Geelong v Hawthorn style of crowded defence and lower scoring.

daird

All Australian
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Practically no one on here was predicting RCD to be picked this week at the start of the thread. Now he is filthy, upset, leaving, requesting a trade because he should have been picked.
Peak Bigfooty
I don't think it's too big of a stretch to imagine he might be upset. He himself admitted he 'spat the dummy' back in 2019 when others debuted ahead of him. Then another kid drafted after him debuted last year, and now another 2?

For a young kid who keeps being spoken about as 'close' to breaking through for the last couple of years I reckon it'd be pretty deflating.

Tony Stark

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Would be good if during the telecast they could use the same measuring graphic they use for the cricket to determine how far the short kicks are going. I would doubt many of the Swans kicks exceed 10 metres let alone 15.

What I did notice though is one of the few times they called play on and not 15 was for one of our passes, their consistency is laughable.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Is it just me or has the last 4 years just made me totally blasé about footy now?
There’s just no disappointment when we lose nor real excitement when we win it’s just a calm whatever will be type of feeling for me now, probably because I got to see us do something I’d seriously already accepted I’d never experience.
I sort of miss getting all shitty though!
I still get shitty when we lose, no matter how we lose.

Every time. I just hate it when we lose...to anyone.

I still get shitty when we lose, no matter how we lose.

Every time. I just hate it when we lose...to anyone.
I knew I was in trouble when I wasn’t even angry or stressed when we lost a final last year.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
I knew I was in trouble when I wasn’t even angry or stressed when we lost a final last year.
Was it just confidence in the team to turn it around? After my initial anger and disappointment, I realised that the extra game that the team had to play would be a blessing in disguise for the players who had only just come back into the side (Prestia, Edwards, Astbury).

Once I'd taken that into consideration I was confident we'd win the flag.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't think it's too big of a stretch to imagine he might be upset. He himself admitted he 'spat the dummy' back in 2019 when others debuted ahead of him. Then another kid drafted after him debuted last year, and now another 2?

For a young kid who keeps being spoken about as 'close' to breaking through for the last couple of years I reckon it'd be pretty deflating.
And a returning delisted player got a game before him.

And a returning delisted player got a game before him.
That one is more positional than anything we needed a rebounding defender to come into the side not an inside mid/fwd so his omission is understandable

This week however is different but I guess his form in the vfl practice games this season isn’t as good as Martyn’s

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
That one is more positional than anything we needed a rebounding defender to come into the side not an inside mid/fwd so his omission is understandable

This week however is different but I guess his form in the vfl practice games this season isn’t as good as Martyn’s
I’m sure you’re right but the conversation was how it would be from his point of view.

I reckon any young player on our list would be deflated seeing Egg get a game before them.

Been saying this for freaking years.
Marks constanting being paid when the ball travels no more than 10 metres.
If the umpire is in any doubt, call play on.
Better still (and I can't believe I am saying changes the rules) change it so the minimum distance is at least 20 metres.

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Reckon Mansell and Martyn probably seen as more plug and play players that will come in and do the job right off the bat. RCD probably seen as needing a few games to find his feet at the level which with key personnel out isn't an ideal situation for him. He's a logical sub candidate though, no idea why they haven't gone that way.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Been saying this for freaking years.
Marks constanting being paid when the ball travels no more than 10 metres.
If the umpire is in any doubt, call play on.
Better still (and I can't believe I am saying changes the rules) change it so the minimum distance is at least 20 metres.
And it’s worse with passes inside the 50. They are regularly 7 - 10 metres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back