Status
Not open for further replies.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
NAB League SuperRankings: Top 50 performers after Round 2
The NAB League is back after a year hiatus, with a Magpies father-son and a Bulldogs academy member among those to shine in the opening rounds.

Chris Cavanagh

3 min read
April 7, 2021 - 5:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
2 comments
Nick Daicos was the top performer in week two of the NAB League. Picture: Getty Images

Nick Daicos was the top performer in week two of the NAB League. Picture: Getty Images

Potential No. 1 draft pick Nick Daicoswas the head-turner for Oakleigh Chargers in the NAB League’s Easter Monday clash at Moorabbin.
However, the Northern Knights also packed a one-two punch in the Round 2 of the competition on Good Friday as Ned Long and Joel Fitzgerald put their names up in lights.
Midfielder-forward Long was best afield in the Knights’ win over Western Jets, logging 26 disposals, nine marks, six clearances and three goals rotating between the midfield and forward line.
The Melbourne Grammar student is targeting a big first three games for the Knights before heading back to school football.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Geelong Falcons midfielder Noah Gribble was a standout in week two of the NAB League. Picture: Michael Klein

Geelong Falcons midfielder Noah Gribble was a standout in week two of the NAB League. Picture: Michael Klein
Rebounding defender Fitzgerald also shone brightly with a game-high 32 disposals, as well as 12 marks and four score involvements.
Eastern Ranges forward Corey Preston also had a sharp first outing, booting four goals from 18 disposals and five marks.
Preston had trained with the Western Bulldogs AFL team over the off-season in search of a list spot, after missing selection in last year’s AFL National Draft.
Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy member Cody Raak, who also trained at Whitten Oval over the summer, had a second impressive game for the Western Jets with 18 disposals, five rebound 50s and seven intercept possessions.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Supergirl now streaming on BINGE New customers get a 14 Day Free Trial
A 192cm key defender, Raak has settled down back after being a forward until midway through the 2019 season and also best afield for the Jets in Round 1.
NAB AFL Academy member Ben Hobbs made his presence felt for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels in their win over Geelong Falcons.
A 182cm inside midfielder who loves the contest, the Horsham product had 22 disposals (14 contested), along with eight clearances, eight tackles and three score involvements.
Western Jets’ Harrison White makes the top 50 NAB League SuperRankings. Picture: Andy Brownbill

Western Jets’ Harrison White makes the top 50 NAB League SuperRankings. Picture: Andy Brownbill
Fellow NAB AFL Academy member Tyler Sonsie starred for Eastern Ranges in their win over Calder Cannons.
The smooth-moving Sonsie had 34 disposals, six marks, eight clearances and kicked two goals.
Mac Andrew was one of the standout big men of the weekend, the 200cm ruckman finding plenty of the ball to log 22 disposals, 12 hit-outs, six clearances and three marks for Dandenong Stingrays.
NAB LEAGUE WEEK 2 SUPER RANKINGS
Ranking, Player, Club, Position, 2021 Games, 2021 Ave. KFC SuperCoach Points
1. Nick Daicos (Oakleigh Chargers), MID/FWD, 1 game, 177 points
2. Joel Fitzgerald (Northern Knights), MID, 1 game, 172 points
3. Ned Long (Northern Knights), KEY FWD, 1 game, 168 points
4. Corey Preston (Eastern Ranges), FWD, 1 game, 156 points
5. Ben Hobbs (Greater Western Victoria Rebels), MID, 1 game, 151 points
6. Tyler Sonsie (Eastern Ranges), MID/FWD, 1 game, 150 points
7. Sam Conforti (Bendigo Pioneers), MID, 1 game, 146 points
8. Noah Gribble (Geelong Falcons), MID/DEF, 1 game, 142 points
9. Mac Andrew (Dandenong Stingrays), RUCK, 1 game, 140 points
10. Cody Raak (Western Jets), KEY DEF, 2 games, 137 points
11. Connor MacDonald (Dandenong Stingrays), MID, 1 game, 135 points
12. Jacob Edwards (Sandringham Dragons), FWD, 1 game, 134 points
13. Cameron McLeod (Murray Bushrangers), DEF, 1 game, 130 points
14. Hugh Hamilton (Bendigo Pioneers), MID, 1 game, 126 points
15. Sam Clohesy (Calder Cannons), MID, 2 games, 124 points
16. Patrick Parnell (Murray Bushrangers), DEF, 1 game, 124 points
17. Marc Massarotti (Eastern Ranges), FWD, 1 game, 123 points
18. Joshua Gibcus (Greater Western Victoria Rebels), KEY DEF, 1 game, 122 points
19. Nick Hodgson (Greater Western Victoria Rebels), MID, 1 game, 121 points
20. Lachlan Riley (Sandringham Dragons), DEF, 1 game, 120 points
Nick Daicos was dominant in his first game of the season. Picture: Alex Coppel.

Nick Daicos was dominant in his first game of the season. Picture: Alex Coppel.
21. Darcy Wilmot (Northern Knights), MID, 1 game, 120 points
22. Flynn Gentile (Calder Cannons), MID, 2 games, 118 points
23. Logan Young (Sandringham Dragons), MID, 1 game, 117 points
24. Eren Soylemez (Sandringham Dragons), FWD, 1 game, 115 points
25. Liam Conway (Western Jets), DEF, 2 games, 113 points
26. Flynn Lakey (Calder Cannons), MID, 2 games, 113 points
27. Miller Bergman (Dandenong Stingrays), DEF, 1 game, 110 points
28. Campbell Chesser (Sandringham Dragons), DEF, 1 game, 110 points
29. Giacomo Thomas (Calder Cannons), DEF, 2 games, 110 points
30. Max Walton (Gippsland Power), MID, 1 game, 109 points
31. James O’Connor (Eastern Ranges), FWD, 1 game, 109 points
32. Harrison Keeling (Eastern Ranges), FWD, 1 game, 108 points
33. Charlie McKay (Sandringham Dragons), MID, 1 game, 108 points
34. William Kilpatrick (Geelong Falcons), DEF, 1 game, 107 points
35. Joshua Rachele (Murray Bushrangers), MID/FWD, 1 game, 107 points
36. Harrison Schumann (Western Jets), FWD, 2 games, 107 points
37. Harrison White (Western Jets), DEF, 2 games, 107 points
38. Ned Moyle (Oakleigh Chargers), MID, 1 game, 106 points
39. Scott Beilby (Oakleigh Chargers), DEF, 1 game, 106 points
40. Max Gregory (Dandenong Stingrays), MID, 1 game, 106 points

41. Ryan Eyers (Murray Bushrangers), FWD, 1 game, 105 points
42. Jack Evans (Bendigo Pioneers), MID/FWD, 1 game, 104 points
43. Mitchell Moschetti (Gippsland Power), DEF, 1 game, 104 points
44. Sam Butler (Greater Western Victoria Rebels), FWD, 1 game, 103 points
45. Archie Hildebrandt (Geelong Falcons), MID/FWD, 1 game, 103 points
46. Harry Sullivan (Dandenong Stingrays), DEF, 1 game, 103 points
47. Judson Clarke (Dandenong Stingrays), FWD, 1 game, 102 points
48. Chance Doultree (Gippsland Power), DEF, 1 game, 102 points
49. Daniel Turner (Murray Bushrangers), DEF, 1 game, 102 points
50. Sam Witherden (Geelong Falcons), KEY DEF, 1 game, 101 points

Last edited:
#36 Scott Beilby

The St Kilda NGA prospect provided a lot of spark down back for Oakleigh, often taking the kick-outs and always looking to attack with them as well. Although Beilby showed great rebounding ability, he also took some really strong intercept marks to prove he isn’t just a running receiver, or one who uses kick-outs to inflate his figures. Beilby finished the game with 21 disposals and nine rebound 50s to be amongst his teams best players, despite some shaky moments at the death.

#2 Josiah Kyle

The St Kilda NGA prospect has some very nice traits around the ground that make him a high-impact player whenever he’s around the contest. There were just times where he’d evade two or three opponents and then deliver a handball out to a teammate, or a damaging kick forward to a leading teammate, highlighting his vision and composure in traffic. Being a smaller forward he was naturally good at ground level, but his presence aerially was also impressive, getting on shoulders when he could but also out-bodying opponents through smart positioning in one-on-ones when he was a deeper target. He was dangerous when he went into the midfield as well, with his pace a real asset around stoppages and on the outside, where he’d get himself into space and deliver damaging kicks forward.

#22 Mac Andrew

Another NGA prospect for Melbourne, he showed some really good signs as a forward that rotated through the ruck, where he displayed a good understanding of the role, timing his leaps and placing his taps well to the advantage of teammates around the ground, leading to Dandenong’s scoreboard pressure. He also positioned well in marking contests, being in spots just outside the forward 50 that he’d create a contest for Dandenong to get it back in.

Melbourne gets another good ruck it would appear.

#36 Scott Beilby

The St Kilda NGA prospect provided a lot of spark down back for Oakleigh, often taking the kick-outs and always looking to attack with them as well. Although Beilby showed great rebounding ability, he also took some really strong intercept marks to prove he isn’t just a running receiver, or one who uses kick-outs to inflate his figures. Beilby finished the game with 21 disposals and nine rebound 50s to be amongst his teams best players, despite some shaky moments at the death.

#2 Josiah Kyle

The St Kilda NGA prospect has some very nice traits around the ground that make him a high-impact player whenever he’s around the contest. There were just times where he’d evade two or three opponents and then deliver a handball out to a teammate, or a damaging kick forward to a leading teammate, highlighting his vision and composure in traffic. Being a smaller forward he was naturally good at ground level, but his presence aerially was also impressive, getting on shoulders when he could but also out-bodying opponents through smart positioning in one-on-ones when he was a deeper target. He was dangerous when he went into the midfield as well, with his pace a real asset around stoppages and on the outside, where he’d get himself into space and deliver damaging kicks forward.

#22 Mac Andrew

Another NGA prospect for Melbourne, he showed some really good signs as a forward that rotated through the ruck, where he displayed a good understanding of the role, timing his leaps and placing his taps well to the advantage of teammates around the ground, leading to Dandenong’s scoreboard pressure. He also positioned well in marking contests, being in spots just outside the forward 50 that he’d create a contest for Dandenong to get it back in.

Melbourne gets another good ruck it would appear.

Apparently they have a gunSudanese ruck coming through next year as well.

Looks as though the top ten this year will likely be full with mids and flankers with a clear top 6 or 7.

I'd be very happy to end up with a mid but we desperately need to start investing in our key stocks down back.

Out of the 5 key defenders on our list of be surprised if Howard isn't the only one left in 2 years.

This kid sounds the most likely to go inside the first round of all the key defenders. Has pushed forward this year though but can obviously play either end

Rhett Bazzo

Club: Swan Districts/Western Australia

Position: Key Defender

Size: 194cm, 74kg

Foxfooty.com.au says: Bazzo turns 18 in October, with clubs hoping there’s plenty of development left in the tall. His intercept marking is exceptional and he will be one of the first few West Australians called out on draft night.

Serious question - if we were to have a disastrous season and finish 18th apart would we at least get pick 2 or would North get a priority pick to pip us?

This kid sounds the most likely to go inside the first round of all the key defenders. Has pushed forward this year though but can obviously play either end

Rhett Bazzo

Club: Swan Districts/Western Australia

Position: Key Defender

Size: 194cm, 74kg

Foxfooty.com.au says: Bazzo turns 18 in October, with clubs hoping there’s plenty of development left in the tall. His intercept marking is exceptional and he will be one of the first few West Australians called out on draft night.
Reads like Clav and is 74kg. I'm all for drafting one but we need a solution now..

Reads like Clav and is 74kg. I'm all for drafting one but we need a solution now..
It also reads similar to Aaron Naughton

The WAFL site has him at 81kg so I'm not sure his actual weight.

I agree we need something now but we also need to look to the future. We've drafted one key defender since Hugh Goddard.

Ideally I'd like us to find a good young key defender through trade and grab a mid through the draft but there aren't that many key defenders that look to be available and usually if you have a good young key defender your not overly keen to let them go.

Like we've discovered this year, depth is only good if it's of AFL quality, otherwise you may as well just play kids.
Since we need a Full Back and a 2nd Ruckman, I'd be happy to bight the bullet and put Ross, Dunny and Lonie on the table knowing we won't get much, but funding the previous to a large degree hopefully.

Try like all buggery to leave our future picks intact, but pull the future 1st into this year if possible.

I'd want to see a minimum of 5 kids, albeit we will probably take an NGA or two with late picks.

It also reads similar to Aaron Naughton

The WAFL site has him at 81kg so I'm not sure his actual weight.

I agree we need something now but we also need to look to the future. We've drafted one key defender since Hugh Goddard.

Ideally I'd like us to find a good young key defender through trade and grab a mid through the draft but there aren't that many key defenders that look to be available and usually if you have a good young key defender your not overly keen to let them go.
Well I'm all for Jack Payne as I've said many times, and Stew brought up Kieren Briggs as a likely type and both these boys are ready to go and would be relatively cheap.
So long as we protect our 1st round (and ideally 2nd round) picks and address our trade needs IDGAF

Well I'm all for Jack Payne as I've said many times, and Stew brought up Kieren Briggs as a likely type and both these boys are ready to go and would be relatively cheap.
So long as we protect our 1st round (and ideally 2nd round) picks and address our trade needs IDGAF
Briggs is a ruckman

I'm all for Payne too but he's contracted and would be hard to get out of Brisbane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Briggs is a ruckman

I'm all for Payne too but he's contracted and would be hard to get out of Brisbane
Yes Briggs is a Ruckman.
I don't think Payne would be that hard to extract.
He's depth at Brizzy for the rest of his days or starting 22 with us.
As an academy kid he's been there for a good 6 years already and good clubs are pragmatic about letting players seek opportunity.
I'd hope we could get him for what Seb would get for us.

Yes Briggs is a Ruckman.
I don't think Payne would be that hard to extract.
He's depth at Brizzy for the rest of his days or starting 22 with us.
As an academy kid he's been there for a good 6 years already and good clubs are pragmatic about letting players seek opportunity.
I'd hope we could get him for what Seb would get for us.
Time will tell I guess. If he's available I'm sure we'll be chasing him.

We'll know before the draft anyway.

I just hope we don't end up with another Logan Austin type. We need a genuine gun key defender.

Josh Sinn
Captain of Vic Metro's Under-16 premiership winning group, Sinn looks at his most damaging across half-back. Sinn generates drive from defence with his run and carry and clean ball use on his left foot, but while he is most recognised for this, he can push up through the midfield in either an outside or inside role. Sinn can win some of his own ball, but it's his outside run and endurance that stand out most.

Tyler Sonsie
The MVP for Vic Metro during the Under-16 Championships, Sonsie is a classy midfielder and forward. One of the very best kicks inside 50 in this year's draft pool, his ball use, composure and decision making under pressure are his points of difference. Sonsie is a smart footballer who combines his skills with line-breaking capabilities.

Campbell Chesser
A speedy half-back flanker, Chesser generates substantial drive from defence and on the outside with his run and penetrating kick. Chesser combines this with intercepting capabilities. While looking most comfortable across half-back at this stage, it is expected that we see Chesser looking to develop his ball winning capabilities this year so that he can push through the midfield more.

Attachments

• 52A42916-9120-4AF6-8DF5-3950DC45E9EF.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
From 2 games back

St Kilda have a prospect in Next-Generation Academy chance Scott Beilby. Impressing for Oakleigh across half-back, Beilby was lively, demonstrating high end pace and chase down tackling; he was also intercepting everything. Beilby collected 12 disposals and seven marks (two contested), in a high impact per possession showing.

From 2 games back

St Kilda have a prospect in Next-Generation Academy chance Scott Beilby. Impressing for Oakleigh across half-back, Beilby was lively, demonstrating high end pace and chase down tackling; he was also intercepting everything. Beilby collected 12 disposals and seven marks (two contested), in a high impact per possession showing.
Looking at his numbers, seems like he's had a good start to his season.

Another 17 disposals and 5 tackles last week.

From 2 games back

Doubt we don’t draft him .......takes the game on.

Josh Sinn
Captain of Vic Metro's Under-16 premiership winning group, Sinn looks at his most damaging across half-back. Sinn generates drive from defence with his run and carry and clean ball use on his left foot, but while he is most recognised for this, he can push up through the midfield in either an outside or inside role. Sinn can win some of his own ball, but it's his outside run and endurance that stand out most.

Tyler Sonsie
The MVP for Vic Metro during the Under-16 Championships, Sonsie is a classy midfielder and forward. One of the very best kicks inside 50 in this year's draft pool, his ball use, composure and decision making under pressure are his points of difference. Sonsie is a smart footballer who combines his skills with line-breaking capabilities.

Campbell Chesser
A speedy half-back flanker, Chesser generates substantial drive from defence and on the outside with his run and penetrating kick. Chesser combines this with intercepting capabilities. While looking most comfortable across half-back at this stage, it is expected that we see Chesser looking to develop his ball winning capabilities this year so that he can push through the midfield more.

Like Chesser

Like Chesser
Do you think he has a future in the middle of the ground or is he a genuine half back?

Doubt we don’t draft him .......takes the game on.
Probably fits a need too. If we are ever going to play Clark on the ball, Geary is on his last legs, Webster just can't stay on the paddock, questiom marks around Long, will Paton still be the sake player after the leg break...

I like the sound of him

Do you think he has a future in the middle of the ground or is he a genuine half back?

Probably fits a need too. If we are ever going to play Clark on the ball, Geary is on his last legs, Webster just can't stay on the paddock, questiom marks around Long, will Paton still be the sake player after the leg break...

I like the sound of him

Both ...including wing ...we just need speed & skill..think both boys like to take the game on
and both like tackling and running ..both elite running types.

Both ...including wing ...we just need speed & skill..think both boys like to take the game on
and both like tackling and running ..both elite running types.
Do you know much about our other academy prospects?

All of Mitch Owens, Jack Peris, Angus McLennan, Marcus Windhager and Josiah Kyle have also played all 3 opening games of the Nab League with some decent looking stats among them.

With that many playing, surely we can land 2 to 3 decent prospects for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back