- Collingwood @ MCG
- Sydney @ SCG
- Bulldogs @ Manuka Oval
- Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
- Essendon @ Giants Stadium
- Richmond @ Marvel Stadium
- West Coast @ Giants Stadium
- Brisbane @ The Gabba.

Looking at that, on current form it's possible they could go to the mid season bye 0-11.

He is to slow in the middle they just run off and leave him he has been bashed to much
13th highest ranked mid in the game after round 3 according to CD, terrible start to the year.

He is to slow in the middle they just run off and leave him he has been bashed to much
You mean the guy who's averaging the second most tackles at the club - seems his opponents aren't doing a good job of running away from him

You mean the guy who's averaging the second most tackles at the club - seems his opponents aren't doing a good job of running away from him

That just means he's 2nd to the ball a lot, which goes to show he's just too slow nowadays. :drunk:

That just means he's 2nd to the ball a lot, which goes to show he's just too slow nowadays. :drunk:
I guess he's clearance avg of 4.33 per game this season just isn't good enough, especially when it's behind Dangerfield & Guthrie who are averaging 6 each, and return even Merrick now has him covered with 4.67 per game

edit: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

"Stop the boo culture". :rolleyes:

Yeah, good idea Damo, let's round out every sharp corner that exists in the sport. Let's just do away with anything which has even the slightest negative connotations. No booing, no hostility towards umpires, no "demonstrative" outbursts from players at any time, no bumping whatsoever, no sledging, no stern looks from Chris Scott towards the opposition.

Just total sanitisation of the game.

I mean, sure, it will make for an objectively more boring product, but hey, at least Damo won't be offended by incivility. :rainbow:

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah, good idea Damo, let's round out every sharp corner that exists in the sport. Let's just do away with anything which has even the slightest negative connotations. No booing, no hostility towards umpires, no "demonstrative" outbursts from players at any time, no bumping whatsoever, no sledging, no stern looks from Chris Scott towards the opposition.

I mean, sure, it will make for an objectively more boring product, but hey, at least Damo won't be offended by incivility. :rainbow:
Just trying to get clicks I wouldn’t get too invested in what they have to say

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Just trying to get clicks I wouldn’t get too invested in what they have to say
I never click on those articles. Even when I am starved for footy.
The local news market here is saturated with all the cable stations so they just endlessly put out crap to get eyes on. Half of it is just showing youtube vids it seems.
The AFL media is similar. Way too many outlets pumping out content vying for clicks. I won't support it by consuming it.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs

I thought the booing of a three-time premiership player by his former club's fans on Monday was both puerile and pathetic. Having said that, if people want to behave like imbeciles by booing the very same player that brought them incredible joy in the past, there's really nothing you can do to help them get past that. Apart from telling them they can't. Which will only make them do it all the more, as we all know.

In the end, you can't legislate for stupid. And you really shouldn't ever try to do so.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought the booing of a three-time premiership player by his former club's fans on Monday was both puerile and pathetic. Having said that, if people want to behave like imbeciles by booing the very same player that brought them incredible joy in the past, there's really nothing you can do to help them get past that. Apart from telling them they can't. Which will only make them do it all the more, as we all know.

In the end, you can't legislate for stupid. And you really shouldn't ever try to do so.

He went to their hated rival, of course they're going to boo him. Is there any sport with big rivalries in which that would not be the case? If an Arsenal player goes to Tottenham, he'll be booed relentlessly, and vice versa (see: Sol Campbell). If a Barcelona player goes to Real Madrid, he'll be public enemy #1 (see: Luis Figo). This is a well-established convention of sporting rivalries. The only way to eliminate that kind of reaction is to eliminate emotional tribalistic rivalries....and why would you want to do that? They're one of the best things about sport. The Cats/Hawks rivalry is predicated on the utter hatred the teams and fans have of one another, and that hatred is one of the things that makes the games great and the atmosphere electric.

Last edited:

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
He went to their hated rival, of course they're going to boo him. Is there any sport with big rivalries in which that would not be the case? If an Arsenal player goes to Tottenham, he'll be booed relentlessly, and vice versa (see: Sol Campbell). If a Barcelona player goes to Real Madrid, he'll be public enemy #1 (see: Luis Figo). This is a well-established convention of sporting rivalries. The only way to eliminate that kind of reaction is to eliminate emotional tribalistic rivalries....and why would you want to do that? They're one of the best things about sport. The Cats/Hawks rivalry is predicated on the utter hatred the teams and fans have of one another, and that hatred is one of the things that makes the games great and the atmosphere electric.

Clearly not every Hawks fan joined in, though. So it is actually possible to be an adult about all this. You can support your team (and be vehemently opposed to your rivals) without having to behave like a child when your former player gets the ball.

Anyway, each to their own. I enjoy the atmosphere of a massive game (where both sets of fans are highly engaged) as much as anyone. But I still find booing to be both entirely unimaginative and incredibly petty. I do get that you'll never stop it. But I don't see it adds anything to the contest, other than a sense that watching grown adults behave like infants is a rather pitiable spectacle to witness.

As they used to say on 'Fat Albert'. it's all a bit like school holidays, really.

No class.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Then a few weeks later, "The crowds seem to be so quiet".

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Ah yes, but don't you enjoy everyone in the media acting like it's new and hasn't been happening since........forever? It's always gone on.

Credit to them, it takes a long to make people not care about a game they once loved, but they're getting there. One insane idea at a time.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Ah yes, but don't you enjoy everyone in the media acting like it's new and hasn't been happening since........forever? It's always gone on.

Credit to them, it takes a long to make people not care about a game they once loved, but they're getting there. One insane idea at a time.

Their continuing efforts to sanitise the game and make it so PC are steadily eroding its soul and throwing off the ropes of engagement with its fans, one by one.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Their continuing efforts to sanitise the game and make it so PC are steadily eroding its soul and throwing off the ropes of engagement with its fans, one by one.
You really do seem to hate the modern game with most of your posts...why bother watching if all you’re going to do is whinge about the “lack of physicality” and the rules of the game

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

Totally agree it's not new. I also absolutely believe it's not clever. Or that it's a fantastically estimable or necessary aspect of going to games or being a supporter.

It will go on, though. So I don't think those that believe it's great 'theatre' or that it's 'their right and privilege' should fear being overtaken by a runaway train of opinion on this matter.

In the end, stacks of people love to boo. And they have no reason to be anxious that anyone will ever take that collapse into collective idiocy away from them.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Clearly not every Hawks fan joined in, though. So it is actually possible to be an adult about all this. You can support your team (and be vehemently opposed to your rivals) without having to behave like a child when your former player gets the ball.

Anyway, each to their own. I enjoy the atmosphere of a massive game (where both sets of fans are highly engaged) as much as anyone. But I still find booing to be both entirely unimaginative and incredibly petty. I do get that you'll never stop it. But I don't see it adds anything to the contest, other than a sense that watching grown adults behave like infants is a rather pitiable spectacle to witness.

As they used to say on 'Fat Albert'. it's all a bit like school holidays, really.

No class.
Footy's not meant to be classy or clever.
It's footy FFS.
Its the whole point.
This is what happens when too many nerds get involved in stuff.
They completely suck all the fun out of it and want to turn it into something it's not.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Footy's not meant to be classy or clever.
It's footy FFS.
Its the whole point.
This is what happens when too many nerds get involved in stuff.
They completely suck all the fun out of it and want to turn it into something it's not.

Nothing's changing, SC. I don't know why you're getting so wound up. People will go on being classless and not clever at the footy.

And everywhere else they go as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back