List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. The way I see it, we're at least one tall short, but other than Roughy and Cox I wouldn't assume that any of the other talls are locked in to one end of the ground. It's a fair chance that we'll have a new coaching group next year, who may view how to best use our KPPs differently to the current coaching group.
We can only hope.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
From the mix that played Thursday we had Cameron, Kelly, Lynch and McMahon to come in as tall options that can role through if required. At the other end it’s Keane. Any more and you start stifling development. I’m already over the Kelly to defense talk it’s almost as played out as the Moore forward line.
Yeah because talking about a bloke who has played one game as a forward and spent the rest of his time down back is so ridiculous.

Also when forwards don’t make it they often end up down back.

You have Wilson training down back, Keane plus the option of Kelly

Investing in a key defender who is already established at another club would be a big mistake

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Adam Cerra. Jesus. I’d be keen.

2CC61A1F-FE89-443A-B734-BACBBB267697.png

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some interesting out of contract players:

Jarryd Lyons
Sam Flanders
Tom Green (yes!!)
Jacob Hopper
Jake Riccardi
James Worpel
Clayton Oliver
Harrison Petty
Sam Weideman
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Shai Bolton
Callum Coleman-Jones
Sydney Stack
Jack Billings
Will Gould
Tom McCartin
Ed Richards!
Our chance now to correct our mistake of not taking Jake Riccardi. Trading in Petracca and Riccardi would be a massive win this next trade period.

Our chance now to correct our mistake of not taking Jake Riccardi. Trading in Petracca and Riccardi would be a massive win this next trade period.
It would be an impossibility without giving up a serious player in return, because we sure as s**t don’t have the draft capital to get both those guys.

It would be an impossibility without giving up a serious player in return, because we sure as sh*t don’t have the draft capital to get both those guys.

Probably making a Stupid Trade that we did not have to do

mwhop

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

While it is a need, I think it somewhat over rated, as compared with mids, small fwds, and changes to gameplan. As I see it, when we lose, its because of our mids. And when our mids get on top, our key forwards perform adequately.

Although, with changes to the rules and the resurgence of kPFs, it might be something to watch going forward.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Yeah because talking about a bloke who has played one game as a forward and spent the rest of his time down back is so ridiculous.

Also when forwards don’t make it they often end up down back.

You have Wilson training down back, Keane plus the option of Kelly

Investing in a key defender who is already established at another club would be a big mistake

It is when it’s as clear as the nose on your face that the club rate him as a forward...

mwhop

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You'd think the pockets and flanks are the best places to develop young players
But it seems to be where we have the most cloggers

It is when it’s as clear as the nose on your face that the club rate him as a forward...

It's clear with the current coaching group, but are they likely to be the coaching group next year? I personally think our group pidgeon holes players too much and too quickly.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
While it is a need, I think it somewhat over rated, as compared with mids, small fwds, and changes to gameplan. As I see it, when we lose, its because of our mids. And when our mids get on top, our key forwards perform adequately.

Although, with changes to the rules and the resurgence of kPFs, it might be something to watch going forward.

Sounds like you have changed your mind mid stream!!! These rule changes might be something to act upon immediately, not just “watch going forward “, which really means watch other teams move ahead.

mwhop

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sounds like you have changed your mind mid stream!!! These rule changes might be something to act upon immediately, not just “watch going forward “, which really means watch other teams move ahead.

Well I still think at the moment at collingwood its about the mids
and that in general, people over rate the importance of KPFs
and in any case, i think cox, mihocek, (and de goey ) would be quite a sufficient combo in a forward line with decent smalls

We've basically got to guess which way the game is going to go. You always do, but even moreso. We're only four weeks in. There will be more to make a decision on by the end of the year, but it will still be a fair bit of a guess.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have a super draft coming.
And I’ve posted previously that we therefore need to get games into our kids urgently, so we have a clear picture of how our list stacks up.
We then can make clearer decisions on trades and the draft than if we hold back the kids.
IMO there is such urgency here ( because of the quality of the super draft), that somethings got to give.

I can only see giving Buckley “a play the kids” 1 year extension as the solution.
But I’m keen to hear the views of others on this - and if my underlying belief that the quality of the draft justifies such an unorthodox solution.

An acceleration of our list assessment/development is certain, but it does delay a Coaching change, which others I’m sure believe is more pressing.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
And I’ve posted previously that we therefore need to get games into our kids urgently, so we have a clear picture of how our list stacks up.
We then can make clearer decisions on trades and the draft than if we hold back the kids.
IMO there is such urgency here ( because of the quality of the super draft), that somethings got to give.

I can only see giving Buckley “a play the kids” 1 year extension as the solution.
But I’m keen to hear the views of others on this - and if my underlying belief that the quality of the draft justifies such an unorthodox solution.

An acceleration of our list assessment/development is certain, but it does delay a Coaching change, which others I’m sure believe is more pressing.

Only real way we can trade into this draft now is on draft day after the daicos bid.

If you do it before then Nick bid will eat it.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers

we wont be a part of the "super draft", we gave away our 1st rounder and will use our 2nd and 3rd rounders for Nick Daicos, who could go #1

well left

Premiership Player
May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Only real way we can trade into this draft now is on draft day after the daicos bid.

And I think this is what we should do, particularly if through the year it becomes apparent that the 5 we drafted this year are going to be players.

If we have 3 or 4 from last year, say McRae, McCreery, Henry and Reef, force their way in this year then once Nick Daicos is locked away and picks used we should load up if we can with another top 20 pick using 2022 picks.

We could rebuild on the run pretty quickly in this case.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

we can trade players for picks - hence my keenness to really get a good assessment of our kids this season.
Or if we uncover kids to fill existing holes in the list, we can then repriortise how we use our cap space.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
we wont be a part of the "super draft", we gave away our 1st rounder and will use our 2nd and 3rd rounders for Nick Daicos, who could go #1

yes - hence my point that we need a comprehensive assessment of our kids/list so we can decide who we trade for picks.
It will be a lost opportunity if we don’t have this assessment before the Super draft.

Of course we’ll also have future picks to use to trade back into this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back