List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

No, no he didn't. But you could imagine what it'd be like if he did right?
SerpentineDisastrousItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
People sleeping on Waterman.

He's got that wicked F.Gehrig shoulder thing going on and his mullet is sublime.

Going to be an excellent AFL player.
so he's going to the Saints, put on 20kg's and move from wing/HFF to FF?

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Listening to Simmo- I kind of get the feeling he does feel a bit sorry for Brander, (rather than cold on him) that they have had to mix up his roles a fair bit, just because we’ve had consistent A Graders in our key posts. It can’t be easy trying to settle when your role keeps changing.

I don’t think we really realise just how lucky we have been to have a complete set of key position players.

Most clubs have 2, maybe 3 Locked into those FB/CHB/CHF/FF spots. We have 4, (Gov/Barrass/JK/Darling) plus who Allen could realistically play back or forward. Plus a wealth of supporting cast of guys who can play taller like Waterman/Hurn/Shep etc. At most clubs, they would be able to slot Brander into one of those empty slots and let him develop his game either back or forward, but because we’ve had such consistent performances from the 4 it’s not easy to break into the side. Especially last year which was really a write off for development given the lack of quality in the lower levels.

If we’ve given him a midfield role with an idea to play more inside and he likes it- that has to be his role this year, at WAFL and at AFL level. Let the guy settle, develop in the areas he needs to in this role & let him have some consistent feedback about how he can get better in a set area. clearly got the running power to play in the middle, and he’s got good skills and size. I think we will see results.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Listening to Simmo- I kind of get the feeling he does feel a bit sorry for Brander, (rather than cold on him) that they have had to mix up his roles a fair bit, just because we’ve had consistent A Graders in our key posts. It can’t be easy trying to settle when your role keeps changing.

I don’t think we really realise just how lucky we have been to have a complete set of key position players.

Most clubs have 2, maybe 3 Locked into those FB/CHB/CHF/FF spots. We have 4, (Gov/Barrass/JK/Darling) plus who Allen could realistically play back or forward. Plus a wealth of supporting cast of guys who can play taller like Waterman/Hurn/Shep etc. At most clubs, they would be able to slot Brander into one of those empty slots and let him develop his game either back or forward, but because we’ve had such consistent performances from the 4 it’s not easy to break into the side. Especially last year which was really a write off for development given the lack of quality in the lower levels.

If we’ve given him a midfield role with an idea to play more inside and he likes it- that has to be his role this year, at WAFL and at AFL level. Let the guy settle, develop in the areas he needs to in this role & let him have some consistent feedback about how he can get better in a set area. clearly got the running power to play in the middle, and he’s got good skills and size. I think we will see results.
I know flags are incredibly hard things to win but gee, it's crazy how this group only has 1 premiership when you look at the quality of our KPP.

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I know flags are incredibly hard things to win but gee, it's crazy how this group only has 1 premiership when you look at the quality of our KPP.
This group really should end up with at least 1 more or it'll be a big * up on the club's behalf IMO. Really no excuse not to win either 19 or 20, have to make up for it this year.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

I think we are already seeing results.

The 21 possessions were nice, but not the standout thing about his game. What stood out most was increased physicality and increased poise in traffic. Regardless of where he ends up playing in the future (back, forward or mid) those traits will serve him well.

As much as we have stuffed around his development to this point, the current step is really improving some of the skills that are transferable across multiple positions (and at the end of the day, he has talent and may just end up an elite inside mid which would be perfect timing).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
This group really should end up with at least 1 more or it'll be a big fu** up on the club's behalf IMO. Really no excuse not to win either 19 or 20, have to make up for it this year.
I still feel the biggest F Up was getting just one out of one of the greatest mid-fields ever assembled some 15 odd years ago and the mistakes made that F'd it all up.

Last edited:

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I still feel the biggest F Up was getting just one out of one of the greatest mid-fields ever assembled some 15 odd years ago and the mistakes made that F'd it all up.
Agreed, but if we had won 2005 it probably would have just brought all the problems forward by a year. The list was a ticking time bomb.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
This group really should end up with at least 1 more or it'll be a big fu** up on the club's behalf IMO. Really no excuse not to win either 19 or 20, have to make up for it this year.
A lot of football comes down to timing, I guess. A lot has to go right in order to win one, let alone multiple. I think we are a good shout this year and next with some luck on injuries and hubs and form.

It could be worse though, like imagine having a midfield line consisting of:

Sandilands
Fyfe
Neale
Walters
Mundy
And not being good enough to get a flag.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
True.

But to be fair, it was paired with the worst forward line in the competition. What a difference a fit Brad Smith would have made to that side. Big Q becomes the secondary, and Phil Matera goes out on a high. Still a major lack of depth forward, but add one fantastic player as a target for that midfield...

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Well you just need that 1 bad game and its season over so its not that easy.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Agreed, but if we had won 2005 it probably would have just brought all the problems forward by a year. The list was a ticking time bomb.
if we win 05 I doubt we win 06 so those years worked out ok in my mind

Injuries and s**t off field killed us in 07 which we couldve really contended.

I feel like 2019/20 are similar to 07.

Lets hope we have 1 last shot at it before our inevitable rebuild

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
A lot of football comes down to timing, I guess. A lot has to go right in order to win one, let alone multiple. I think we are a good shout this year and next with some luck on injuries and hubs and form.

It could be worse though, like imagine having a midfield line consisting of:

Sandilands
Fyfe
Neale
Walters
Mundy
And not being good enough to get a flag.

Pav

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
This group is cooked.

No intent.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wanted at least one positive thread going.

I was impressed with Brander today, never stopped trying and created some good contests in the air. Showed some intent and solidified his place in the side further for me.

Well done on your development this year JB.

Back