Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the “poor rookies” had 10% paid to them BY THE AFL on top of their standard rookie contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

Just like Tippett and Buddy had 10% paid on top of their contracts BY THE AFL with their standard contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

That’s how the cost of living allowance operated.

So buddy got 10% of a million a year as Cost Of Living

But a rookie got 10% of * all?

And you think that was fair? lol

Their workplace is in Sydney. If you think a commute from Campbelltown to there is reasonable you’re delusional and have never been to Sydney.

I live in Sydney.........so i know exactly how bullshit it is for them to only want to live in the eastern suburbs.

There are plenty of places to live in between Campbell town and Coogee mate.......

I live in Sydney.........so i know exactly how bullshit it is for them to only want to live in the eastern suburbs.

There are plenty of places to live in between Campbell town and Coogee mate.......

You poor bugger! Shocking joint.

Garbage. You don’t think there is an advantage for Essendon in being able to house their players 5 minutes from the ground in a nice leafy suburb when for the same price Sydney players would be housed 40 minutes away in an industrial suburb?

yeah i guess its pretty mediocre when you never leave the ES bubble.

.. am very lucky to get on with most ex's. Unhappily there are two in the ES bubble with Horrie voodoo dolls.

Marrickville, half an hour west of Moore Park, median house price $1.4 million.
Tullamarine, where the Bombers train, median house price $640,000.

No cost of living difference. 🙄
And Richmond’s median is $1.3 million are you suggesting Richmond get salary cap relief as well?
Pretty substantial difference compared to Tullamarine

Half the things you have quoted me as saying I have never said champ

I said father son’s shouldn’t be gotten rid of and I never said academies should be scrapped just the first two rounds protected. The only thing that has to go are NGA’s they are the biggest joke
You still havn't answered the question as to what benefit having a f/s system has... If you want the first 2 rounds of academies scrapped then it has to be the same for f/s, no daicos for you because why are you allowed that concession? despite academies serving to stem a very obvious inequity, you're jumping on it. F/s serves nothing yet you defend it. LOL. Listen to yourself.

Drive half an hour to Clayton and it’s $1 million. That’s the comparison.
Or we can do Kensington? $2.7 million.
You are cherry-picking examples to fit your narrative
There would be still sub 1M suburbs within a half an hour radius to Sydney’s facilities
As good as the intentions were with COLA Sydney ruined it for themselves by pushing the envelope and working the system
If they purely used it for the manner it was intended for it would of had it taken off them
The players it was intended to help badly saw any of the benefits while the top earners at the club got the lions share defeating the purpose

So buddy got 10% of a million a year as Cost Of Living

But a rookie got 10% of fu** all?

And you think that was fair? lol
Yes. Because it was a loading we couldn't manipulate, despite claims in here to the contrary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would be still sub 1M suburbs within a half an hour radius to Sydney’s facilities
As good as the intentions were with COLA Sydney ruined it for themselves by pushing the envelope and working the system
If they purely used it for the manner it was intended for it would of had it taken off them
The players it was intended to help badly saw any of the benefits while the top earners at the club got the lions share defeating the purpose
I don't think there's any sub 1m suburbs in Sydney, let alone a half hour radius to training.

Find me one. Not on the bottom of the harbour.

Scroll up.

Nice answer.

The point is Josh Kelly commutes 50 mins across Sydney every day.

Boomer Harvey commuted 40kms through Melbourne’s Northern suburbs every day for his entire career.

There’s no reason they have to buy a property in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, than can commute from somewhere more affordable or rent in the Eastern suburbs.

You still havn't answered the question as to what benefit having a f/s system has... If you want the first 2 rounds of academies scrapped then it has to be the same for f/s, no daicos for you because why are you allowed that concession? despite academies serving to stem a very obvious inequity, you're jumping on it. F/s serves nothing yet you defend it. LOL. Listen to yourself.
Victorian advantages are tradition. Untouchable.....

Nice answer.

The point is Josh Kelly commutes 50 mins across Sydney every day.

Boomer Harvey commuted 40kms through Melbourne’s Northern suburbs every day for his entire career.

There’s no reason they have to buy a property in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, than can commute from somewhere more affordable or rent in the Eastern suburbs.

Right. So if you want to play for Sydney on equal financial terms as Victorian players you must commute 45 minutes plus.

No. That’s not a disadvantage to Sydney at all! 🙄

Right. So if you want to play for Sydney on equal financial terms as Victorian players you must commute 45 minutes plus.

What?

My point is you assume that Sydney players are at a disadvantage if they have to travel so far to find affordability.
Plenty of Victorian players have to do the same level commute every morning.

Why can’t they just rent? There’s no unconditional clause in the AFLPA contract that says these AFL players are entitled to own a home near their training base.

You claim 90% of the games talent pool is in Melbourne * off and try and get an idea about what you are saying.

My view on the father son is irrelevant but seeing as you want it so much

I would go back to all clubs having zones like the NRL does and then let F/S join the academy of their old mans club even if they live outside the zone

In the draft it does throw up such an issue as academies as it’s a pathway open to every club (admittedly not yet to the Suns or Giants) and not a strategic hand out given to advantage some clubs

On the flip side the Sydney property market for years has been growing at the fastest rate. So you can buy when you play sell when you move out and have all that capital gains

Their workplace is in Sydney. If you think a commute from Campbelltown to there is reasonable you’re delusional and have never been to Sydney.

To be fair, I used to live in Helensburgh for a couple of years, about 10 years ago and commute to the Blue Mountains every day lol. The train ride from Helensburgh to the city was around 50-55 minutes each day - which is pretty reasonable and in line with a lot of Melbourne train services (except when there's track work *shudder*).

If your work is around an hour to an hour and a half away by transport each day, but you're getting paid over 100K a year - as most AFL players do (barring some rookies), then it really isn't that big a deal if that's your travel schedule.

Now travelling from the South Coast to the Blue Mountains every day which takes about 2.5 - 3 hours each way...that is a different story...

Back