Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Merrett is after monster contract 1m+ a season. Joel wouldn't be close to that these days

Like with any player ... they will have to juggle demands and desires depending on who and where they want to play. I think Kelly got offered significantly more to be at Freo for eg.

How much would trigger a band 1 comp.. and how much is he really worthy.... I doubt Ess would let him go for anything less than band1

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Putting aside such a difference in player... Darcy V Stanley , on paper its very similar. One might even argue that Darcy , as a ruck , is more valuable than Stanley at StK who was still trying to find a role.

That we have to pay .."whatever" is a consequence of not doing what we did last year ... 5 or 6 years ago. If We say that Geelong is very good at spotting underlying Rookie B type talent... Blitz, MOC etc. ... than Tsap maybe be ready in about 3-5 years. Neale show forward potential..he might be earlier than that in another role. He seems to me to be potentially a good match to Darcy as a ute ruck forward... so great if we can work out a way to keep him ....

but I suspect most will not like the cost of Darcy, just like most did not like what we paid for Stanley....yet now the P21 we paid has reaped us near 100 games.. which is probably better than average for a p21, certainly better than Goddard and Bundy.
If Geelong considers Darcy will improve with age, and if he is not too immobile for the predicted future game, and if the trade doesn't cost too much, getting an AFL experienced 22 year old ruckman from our area doesn't seem a bad idea. If we end up with too many good ruckmen at some point in the future, then we can trade one out. Last season, Stanley, Fort, Sav and Jenkins were all injured, or just back from injury, at the same time.

Is henderson on the rookie list still? I think the max is 3 years so he would have to retire next year no matter what coz we aint upgrading him at his age.
If Henderson keeps going as he did last year and how he's started this year, there's no reason they wouldn't put him back on the senior list if he's wanting to continue playing

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Jack ..a little while ago we agreed we would both like the kid from the Giants... do you think we would have the money to look at him?

Which kid, if you don't mind me interjecting, haha - XOH, Taranto, Hopper, Riccardi, Daniels, Taylor?

I just do not feel the club thinks like that they, seem to look at multiple ways to add talent .. and we look at having added Cameron and Smith and perhaps Higgins to add to Danger and others already here. Its more about ensuring that all the otehr talent is not deprived of a chance thru not having a ruck. With all those players already on our list , adding Darcy compared to another kid probably is seen as a more targeted approach . Sure if we could add Merrett , it would fit the list build, do we have the money without someone else going?

Id sy looking at the contribution of Smith so far , is sort of an example of why they like in system players. And he cost zero. So I could see us liking to add knowns like Darcy and Tucker and Merrett rather than a kid... what stops us going that way 100% is SCap and the collateral to get deals done.

An interesting question would be is a what we would be prepared to do to add merrit if he said he wanted to come. He would be 26 and about the 22nd oldest on our current list, nearly all our best player are older than him
It pains me to say it but I don't see Selwood going around again unless it's a Travis Boak minimum chips contract and we pay him mostly off half back or similar.

That's 900k and a spot in the midfield right there.

Like with any player ... they will have to juggle demands and desires depending on who and where they want to play. I think Kelly got offered significantly more to be at Freo for eg.

How much would trigger a band 1 comp.. and how much is he really worthy.... I doubt Ess would let him go for anything less than band1
Band 1 at his age would be around 850k. He'd get that anywhere he went easily

Sean Darcy keen to get home and Darcy Tucker in for the cats? according to Peter Sumich.

Sean Darcy keen to get home and Darcy Tucker in for the cats? according to Peter Sumich.
Could be total BS.
Could be an elaborate plot to get Neale.
Could be a good way to give our developing mids some support.
Could be a good way to throw good picks away on a ruckman who doesn't fit 2021 football.

Could be anything, will be fun finding out

Is henderson on the rookie list still? I think the max is 3 years so he would have to retire next year no matter what coz we aint upgrading him at his age.

He only went to the rookie list in 2020 he can do one more year there in 2022.

Jack ..a little while ago we agreed we would both like the kid from the Giants... do you think we would have the money to look at him?
Maybe. I'd be doing everything it takes to get him here though.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe. I'd be doing everything it takes to get him here though.

I like him..and the way the game may be heading , it only make s him more appealing.

I think as a previously posted... players like him are the only way we have a chance to get into the type of players you get as early picks. Add that he may have a preference to play for Geelong and Id expect us to establish a constant ongoing dialogue. I certainly would be willing to pay up for a kid like him.

My only issue is paying big ..for backmen.. ..however I suspect he could be elite so he is one of the few id be prepared to go hard for.

It does seem to change each year ..but I suspect you are close to it......
I spent a lot of time digging into it when people were saying Brad Crouch was going to net band 1. It changes year on year because breakdown of TPP changes each year but it won't deviate much from the average.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I spent a lot of time digging into it when people were saying Brad Crouch was going to net band 1. It changes year on year because breakdown of TPP changes each year but it won't deviate much from the average.

Its about the top 5% of of 25yo+ players... and that changes yearly.. so we are talking about 20-30 players

but I suspect your 850 would probably be close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back