Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fine with the decision.

Pistol has had three games to prove he belongs in the side and hasn't really taken opportunities in any of them in a big way, especially the Wet Toast game. Needs to go dominate in the SANFL to get another shot.

Hoping Aliir and Chuck are the ones to cover his ruckwork.

20/11/4 with 5,000 score involvements in his penultimate game having just turned 25, but was delisted at the end of that season despite the fact Schulz’s back was cooked and he was going to retire.

The following season saw Jackson Trengove shoehorned into the KPF2 role with limited success, which eventually saw him out of the side in favour of baby Todd Marshall in a final we lost in extra time.

Magic.

Even if you believe everything naysayers will say about Butcher, the decision to delist him at the same time Schulz retired, leaving us with only Dixon as a recognised key forward with experience was a list management crime from which we've never recovered. Marshall has had to come in as a 2nd KPF and deal with better quality defenders because we couldn't ease him in as a 3rd tall like every other club does.

The fact that we're trying to win a flag playing 2 developing key forwards each week for the 2nd year in a row is a list management crime. We're ready to go everywhere else on the field but we neglected the key forward position so hard. Nobody will ever be able to convince me that we wouldn't have been in a better position in that 2020 Prelim with a 130-150 gamer, 29yo John Butcher taking the 2nd key forward role.

Sack Hinkley.

Good to see Bergman’s been thrown to the curb after two games. Mayes isn’t the answer, Bergman could be. Dumb selection. Also confused bringing jones in ahead of Bergman. Bergman better with the ball at this stage. Jones has looked lost pre season.

as others have pointed out, it’s likely they want to give Bergman a full game in the magpies after being sub, and want to blood jones cause they like his workrate and aggression against a fleet of Richmond small forwards.

I like mayes for the sub. He doesn’t need game time to develop or a run fitness wise and is ready to go if we need him on the field.

Interesting that Jones has come in ahead of Bergman.

Nothing against Piston going out, he was poor against WCE. But after the abysmal effort on Sat night, it’s piss weak if that’s the only change.

That isn’t surprising though, it’s the typical Hinkley token change. Drop the in-experience kid and leave in the underperforming senior players.

I'm worried Ladhams will never pull his finger out.

Last year should have been a huge kick up the arse.

If he was at the centre bounce surely you'd be watching the opposition ruck.

I'm worried Ladhams will never pull his finger out.

Last year should have been a huge kick up the arse.

If he was at the centre bounce surely you'd be watching the opposition ruck.
Permanently Party Pete you reckon.

Good to see Bergman’s been thrown to the curb after two games. Mayes isn’t the answer, Bergman could be. Dumb selection. Also confused bringing jones in ahead of Bergman. Bergman better with the ball at this stage. Jones has looked lost pre season.

Bergman is probably better off playing a full game in the SANFL than 10 minutes as the medical sub tbh. Medical sub is exactly what we should be using the likes of Mayes, Lienert, Rockliff etc for.

Mayes and Jones in. Marshall and Bergman to miss is the word.

Not sure how this works as we then have a lot of half backs. One of Hartlett/Burton or Houston will need to push up the ground to allow Jones to play HB. Alternatively, does Jones play as a pressure forward?

*Barney Gumble voice* I hate it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladhams was beaten by Oscar Allen as 2nd ruck. If he can't win the 2nd ruck position, and isn't clunking some marks up forward he's really pointless. His form has really dropped off from what he showed last year, hopefully after a spell in the Maggies he'll get his confidence back. I'm fine with Mayes as the sub but disappointed Bergman is out, hopefully full run for the Maggies and back in.

ladhams had a really good year and had plenty of clubs chasing him. We had Hayes in the wings and we knew of Ladhams behavior problems.
Maybe the trigger should have been pulled to avoid Lobbe mk 2

No problem with Ladhams being dropped, has been in poor form. Jones coming in is ok, but Bergman should have replaced Hartlett, who's been all at sea. Hinkley says "If you're not in form ... you're probably going to pay a price." . Just words unless he starts putting the heat on under-performing experienced players.

Bergman is probably better off playing a full game in the SANFL than 10 minutes as the medical sub tbh. Medical sub is exactly what we should be using the likes of Mayes, Lienert, Rockliff etc for.
yes, this exactly.

i see no benefit for him wasting his time as a sub. i'd much rather he had gotten the hit-out at the parade last week.

Even if you believe everything naysayers will say about Butcher, the decision to delist him at the same time Schulz retired, leaving us with only Dixon as a recognised key forward with experience was a list management crime from which we've never recovered. Marshall has had to come in as a 2nd KPF and deal with better quality defenders because we couldn't ease him in as a 3rd tall like every other club does.

The fact that we're trying to win a flag playing 2 developing key forwards each week for the 2nd year in a row is a list management crime. We're ready to go everywhere else on the field but we neglected the key forward position so hard. Nobody will ever be able to convince me that we wouldn't have been in a better position in that 2020 Prelim with a 130-150 gamer, 29yo John Butcher taking the 2nd key forward role.

Sack Hinkley.

Butch got to the stage where our players would not use him. Never at any stage of his career did a half decent opposition club come looking for him. Butcher played to his potential in the under 18 comp and he cashed in when we drafted him and then carried him for the next 6 years. He's still only 29 he was 27 when the Crows picked up Billy Frampton.

Brave choice to bring in Lachie Jones when he's only shown glimpses of his AFL qualities in a Port guernsey, so far, but looking forward to seeing how he goes. I'm guessing selectors felt playing Richmond is likely to be contested / physical sort of a game (not Bergman's forte at this stage). Houston might bolster midfield? Good call to drop Ladhams on form - it was effectively 21 v 22 last week, given his output (from about 63% game time) last week. Hope Marshall plays to see if the Dixon/Marshall/Georgiadis combo can improve on last week. Don't care about height, it's about ability and team smarts. Can we unlock the magic combination this week?

Butch got to the stage where our players would not use him. Never at any stage of his career did a half decent opposition club come looking for him. Butcher played to his potential in the under 18 comp and he cashed in when we drafted him and then carried him for the next 6 years. He's still only 29 he was 27 when the Crows picked up Billy Frampton.

In his second to last game he had 20 touches, 11 marks and 4 goals. I'd suggest his teammates were using him there.

As I used to post ad nauseum when he was on our list, he never played more than 5 games in a row and as such was never able to build momentum. Key forwards take time to develop.

The fact that he was wildly underdeveloped and then delisted by a s**t Port side was obviously going to make him less attractive to other AFL clubs and he probably felt burnt out on being delisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back