2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshall seems to have caught Port Development Disease like Wingard, Wines etc. Flat lining after promising starts.

I thought he was going to be a gun of the comp a couple of years ago.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Early days and plenty of time to turn it around, but both Rozee and Duursma have both struggled to translate a hot start into something more.

Just a shame Butters has so far overcome that.

What ip?

Alternating dark and white stripes?
The black and white colours?
There is no ip

The afl have shown colour and guernsey clashes mean nothing but a means to merchandise

Not arguing for Port to have black and white exclusively

The black and white vertical stripes are their IP in the AFL.

I don't think it's as simple as it just being a colour clash, Collingwood use the black and white stripes to market their club and it's part of their identity and it's on their emblem etc.

Eddie's point is valid is that Port just seem to keep coming back demanding for more and it's time for the AFL to put it's foot down and make a decision on it.

Collingwood have allowed Port to use it for heritage games in the past. Now that's not enough and the club is demanding to use now twice a year. I am willing to bet that once they get approval for twice a year suddenly they will then be demanding to wear it for every home game.

Eddie just wants the AFL to make a decision on it and get it over and done with rather than let Port continually try to gradually erode away at their IP

Marshall seems to have caught Port Development Disease like Wingard, Wines etc. Flat lining after promising starts.

It's the same old problem where the likes of Dwayne Russell, Kane Cornes etc (who I suspect have been asked by Port to do it) continually pump up the tyres of every young Port player and talk them up as some sort up and coming superstar before they have ever proved anything.

Sam Powell-Pepper plays one half of footy in Round 1 and Kane was already declaring that "He's the best player in the draft and every other club in the AFL has egg on their face for not picking him".

I've been calling out Todd Marshall for years for not living up the undeserved hype he's been getting, statistically Elliott Himmelberg has delivered more despite playing less games. Yet if you ask any Port supporter they'll tell you that Himmelberg is a dud while Marshall is an up and coming superstar of the comp.

I've come to learn very quickly that the hype that continually comes out of Alberton is usually nothing more than just hot air.

It's the same old problem where the likes of Dwayne Russell, Kane Cornes etc (who I suspect have been asked by Port to do it) continually pump up the tyres of every young Port player and talk them up as some sort up and coming superstar before they have ever proved anything.

Sam Powell-Pepper plays one half of footy in Round 1 and Kane was already declaring that "He's the best player in the draft and every other club in the AFL has egg on their face for not picking him".

I've been calling out Todd Marshall for years for not living up the undeserved hype he's been getting, statistically Elliott Himmelberg has delivered more despite playing less games. Yet if you ask any Port supporter they'll tell you that Himmelberg is a dud while Marshall is an up and coming superstar of the comp.

I've come to learn very quickly that the hype that continually comes out of Alberton is usually nothing more than just hot air.
Had an argument with a Port mate saying their kids are ridiculously over hyped he didn't like it too much

Had an argument with a Port mate saying their kids are ridiculously over hyped he didn't like it too much

It's true though

The problem is that Port supporters have become accustomed to hearing Dwayne commentating Port games where he spends the game trying to tell everyone how amazing their youngsters are and tuning into Kane on the radio who essentially does the same thing and they just buy into the hype and believe it's true.

When they're told the opposite they normally don't handle it very well.

Honestly don't care if they wear their prison bars.

Already plenty of teams with similar colours.

All clubs make money out of new merchandise sales.
But its a matter of principal isnt it.. they agreed when they joined the comp that they would be identifiably different from the collingwood magpies.

they called themselves Port Power. They had a lightening bolt as a mascot.. their colours were black, white and teal.

In recent years they changed it to call themselves “port adelaide” and seem to have distanced themselves from the “power” name.. now they want to be able to wear the port adelaide magpies guernsey..

If they are granted this then what next?.. they ask to wear the magpie symbol on their guernsey for all games except the ones they dont play against Collingwood?... and then later they demand that they can wear it against Collingwood when it is ports home game and the pies have to wear something else.

sounds far fetched?.. maybe.. but this is a club and a supporter base that thinks its better then everyone else.. a club that is so entitled because it has historically always been given what it demands.

you give this club a finger and they will take a ******* arm.

If I was a Pies supporter or someone involved at The collingwood club, I’d be saying no too.

what they AFL should do is either tell port to give it up or, if they really wanted to settle it, they should put it to a vote amongst Collingwood fans and see what they feel about it.

but can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and this was Collingwood joining the SANFL and then later demanding to wear the traditional pies black and white guernsey!... the meltdowns and tears from the powa snowflakes would drown half the *in planet..

I honestly really dont care either.

However, because they wont it, I dont want them to get it.

If the AFL says it's okay then I am fine with Port wearing them for their home showdown.

I don't see why our home game also has to turned into a Port Adelaide sideshow.

The fact that they're desperately wanting to wear against us in Showdowns shows their mentality with the whole thing and that this whole thing is nothing more than Port supporters trying to engage in another pointless piss fight against us.

Geez, once again Ports home Showdown is a Saturday night game.

Be nice if we ever get the night game and not the Sunday arvo home showdown.

Haven't played a night home Showdown in 14 years. Port have had the last eight

If the AFL says it's okay then I am fine with Port wearing them for their home showdown.

The fact that they're desperately wanting to wear against us in Showdowns shows their mentality with the whole thing and that this whole thing is nothing more than Port supporters trying to engage in another pointless piss fight against us.

Wish we could go down to one showdown per season. I'm tired of them being all about Port.

Haven't played a night home Showdown in 14 years. Port have had the last eight

That's because the AFL know that they can give us s**t time slots and we'll still turn up.

Whereas they're continually giving Port prime time slots to bump up their crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's because the AFL know that they can give us sh*t time slots and we'll still turn up.

Whereas they're continually giving Port prime time slots to bump up their crowds.
I wish it was a standalone game on say even a Thursday night.

Youre right, any slot the AFL gives us will ensure crowds.

Hell if they could give us a 11am games to finish in time for games in Victoria starting at 2pm, they would.

Yes, absolutely - but that's not the point of the discussion.

The point was a comment by a Port supporter that our kids are no good (my paraphrasing). This was countered by the argument that our kids had won 2 of our first 3 games this season. I was countering that argument by pointing out that it was our senior players who won those games, and that those wins are therefore hardly evidence regarding the quality of our kids.

Based on the AFLCA votes, only Butts & Scholl (no c in SHOLL) have made a significant contribution to either of our wins.

So you're telling me that there were only seven significant contributors in the win against Geelong then?

Rightio then. Must have been watching different games.

Put it this way... without Tex, we lose the Geelong & Gold Coast games by 5 goals, and the Sydney game by 10 goals. Without Tex & Sloane, we lose by 8 & 13 goals. That's how important they have been to our team so far this year.

How good are our kids? I have no idea at all. I think some of them have been really good - Scholl & Butts most notably. The rest of them haven't done more than the odd cameo here and there, showing glimpses of what we can expect to see in the future. The point is that the two wins we've had so far aren't evidence that our kids are actually good, because the kids haven't made significant contributions to those wins.

I hope our kids will be really good, but aside from Sholl & Butts there's little evidence either way for any of them. This means that there's little evidence that they're duds (aside from Frampton), just as there's little evidence that they're future guns.
Does this mean with Crouch and Talia back in and career best form like tex and sloane are we wouldve won by 5 goals against sydney and 10 or 15 against Geelong and GC??

Just checking my vaderlogic

Does this mean Crouch and Talia back in installs us as premiership faves by a mile? Lucky for the rest of the comp Talia's out for another 10 rounds.

That's because the AFL know that they can give us sh*t time slots and we'll still turn up.

Except our own crowd numbers aren't too flash atm either.

I believe the AFC have said no to Port wearing it for our showdown, regardless of whether Collingwood will allow it. IOn the basis that it is our game and it would be making the game about them.

I have no problem with Port wearing it for theirs though

Xavier Duursma seems to be heading down the same path... Still only young, but doesn't seem to be coming on as quickly as the other 2 he got drafted with after a bright start. Roezee could follow if he doesn't get his body right.

Port debuting lachlan Jones..having seen this kid live a few times last year, he more than many of their younger players in my opinion will become a very very good player and could be the best of the lot. What a free hit they got last draft
Is he the Tony Antrobus clone? The Port commentators were fapping over him through those pre-season matches we played.

he would be about a foot taller..but tough as nails and reads the play very well.
This is what I was referring to:

Lachie-Jones-head-shot.png
1617853768223.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back