Not open for further replies.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Could be...

Looking at their fixture, the only game I see them possibly winning before we play is maybe * (but who knows the way *they played on the weekend)
Shiel is out isn't he? That makes * a better team.

Might be the first game Brad Scott has wanted us to win for a while.

Is that because Scotts is being groomed by the AFL to replace Cameron in a mid season Coup d'état?

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As for Geelong...They have players keen to play there and it’s so cheap to live there. They are spending 300 bucks a week to live in an eight-bedroom house. The bottom line is it has never been a level playing field.

Yeah g'day Prid's just wondering if you know where these $300p/w rentals are cos I'm telling you right now they don't have 8 bedrooms and they aren't where the footballers want to live. Campaigner.
The genuinely cheapest places to rent near me are all rented by crooks to cook meth, that's not even a joke. Cookers don't set up in Corio, it's the new pop up suburbs where rent is cheaper than Corio that they want to be.

Some Geelong footballer sold his house in my street last year after doing some renovations. The new idiots paid over $1m for it. Why anyone thinks a weatherboard workers cottage is worth that much I will never know. So shove that in your pie hole Pridham, Sydney isn't the only place with stupidly priced homes. Anyway it's across the road from a gear den, neighbours have their trailers broken in to every few months, and my car gets side swiped without a note left so smb idiots paying top dollar to live here. Big city COLA campaigners that think the rest of the place is some sleepy hollow that exists only for them to come and put up an AirBnB with the change in their pocket.

SMDH should I keep going? (Friday and Saturday really got to me).

Just heard it mentioned that Witts becomes knee injury #8 for Gold Coast, wonder if Metricon surface is a factor
It's a horror show

1617696737825.png

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Now let's see, Geelong Player and gear den across the road? Nah. I can't guess which one of them lived in your street. Too many to choose from.
Haha would be a surprising guess to get it right. Pick two names in your head and the second name you pick was floating around the other end of the street a few weeks ago. His Ford was due for an upgrade tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sydney boss Andrew Pridham says Victorian clubs bleating about the Swans’ academy system should look at their own generous AFL concessions first.

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has lashed out at critics of the club’s academy system, adamant the league would have to disband the father-son system before it watered down the Swans’ talent pathway.

Pridham told the Herald Sun Victorian clubs bleating about Sydney’s development were always silent about the huge advantages of their own father-sons and next generation academies.

No one wanted Sam Wicks, so the Swans swooped. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

No one wanted Sam Wicks, so the Swans swooped. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

He said Geelong and Collingwood had accepted huge concessions regarding the draft and cost of living without complaint from rival sides.

Sydney must bid for their players in the same way as the father-son system, having injected $10 million into their own academy over 11 years.
The Swans have only drafted or rookied 13 of the 3000 players to go through that system, with Pridham saying the criticism was tired and predictable.

“Collingwood have five father-sons and another on the way and two next generation academy picks,” he told the Herald Sun.

“We have outrageously rookied a kid like Sam Wicks who no one else picked. Go figure. As for Geelong if you talk about advantages, my god they have (Patrick) Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, (Gary) Rohan, (Isaac) Smith, they are in a town that houses the Geelong Falcons. They have players keen to play there and it’s so cheap to live there. They are spending 300 bucks a week to live in an eight-bedroom house. The bottom line is it has never been a level playing field.

So anyone who is attacking us and wants to see anything happen to the academies, you could say goodbye to the father-son system.”

Geelong coach Chris Scott said on Monday night he supported generating young talent in NSW but said the question was how much Sydney paid in draft value.

“If we look through it logically, a lot of the population is in Sydney and a lot of the talent is there and if they can harness the sporting talent – I think most of us would know who played when we were in Year 10 or 11, the best cricketers were also the best footy players, who are best rugby players,” he said.

“I think the key question for the competition is ‘what price do they pay?’’

The Swans secured best mates Braeden Campbell (pick 6) and Errol Gulden (pick 32) as academy selections this year, with Gulden’s father saying he wouldn’t be playing AFL if not for the academy.
Pridham said the only reason the academy system was introduced a decade ago was because there were barely any players being produced from out of NSW.

Carlton’s Luke Parks made his AFL debut this week having graduated from the Sydney academy.
“No kids were getting drafted from NSW or Queensland. So you have got to develop talent. They go into the draft and people can pick them up and if they don’t, they forever hold your peace,” he said.

“We have 780 kids in the academy. 480 are boys and the rest are girls. We have had 3000 kids through academies. And less than half of one per cent make their way to the AFL. So the rest go to local leagues, they umpire, some go to play SANFL or WAFL. Everyone has an academy and we actually do something for our kids.

“Strategically it’s pretty important and there was noise about it which is why the AFL brought in a bidding system. We have had some very limited success in winning three games and then clubs start throwing stones.

“The thing that has always frustrated me is that if you look at things through a Victorian lens, if it is seen to have advantaged non-Victorian clubs it’s an unfair advantage.

“If it benefits a club like Geelong or Collingwood, it’s tradition. Like the father-son system.”
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan backed the northern academies system last month.

“The debate in Victoria has been the price you pay. I think the success of the academies is there for everyone to see.”
Didn’t even read past the bit about “Sydney having injected 10 million......” FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back