Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters
That was how it worked. I’m simply responding to “Eddie”.

so surely you can see it wasnt for COLA at all....

It was simply a means to give players more money to attract them to Sydney...

THe new system, which mainly targets rookies and juniors is a much more understandable system relating to COLA.

Garbage. You don’t think there is an advantage for Essendon in being able to house their players 5 minutes from the ground in a nice leafy suburb when for the same price Sydney players would be housed 40 minutes away in an industrial suburb?

Mate, Essendons home Ground is in Tullamarine.......

Most of the Essendon players live in Albert Park.........which is ******* 25km's away.......

you are proving my point they can travel to work!

Marrickville, half an hour west of Moore Park, median house price $1.4 million.
Tullamarine, where the Bombers train, median house price $640,000.

No cost of living difference. 🙄

None of Essendon's players live in Tulla rofl

they all live in inner city Melbourne. Albert Park etc.

they all travel over 20km to get to training. it actually makes your argument even more stupid because Albert Park is considerably MORE expensive than Tullamarine.

Why cant Sydney players do the same? Answer? Cause they don't ******* want too

I could easily find a suburb 20min from the SCG that has the same house price as Albert Park

Last edited:

they all travel over 20km to get to training.

Dylan Grimes lives at Mount Macedon that’s a good 80km plus commute

Pretty sure quite a few Melbourne based players live around Geelong and Torquey on the surf coast
That’s about 100km

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

they all travel over 20km to get to training. it actually makes your argument even more stupid because Albert Park is considerably MORE expensive than Tullamarine.

I could easily find a suburb 20min from the SCG that has the same house price as Albert Park

Oh ok so they get to afford affluent suburbs? Must be lovely for the WAGS.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Find me one then.

Oh ok so they get to afford affluent suburbs? Must be lovely for the WAGS.

So unless Sydney's Players can live in the most expensive real estate in the Southern Hemisphere than that's it, comps not fair?

Lol get real mate.

There are plenty of suburbs in Sydney that are affluent that cost the exact same IF NOT LESS as the suburbs in Melbourne that Melbourne AFL players live in. In which many Melbourne AFL players commute further.

Albert Parks Median House Price is 2 Million.

Alexandria (5km away from the SCG) in Sydney's Median House price is 1.8 Million

You are embarrassing yourself defending COLA.

Last edited:

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
You claim 90% of the games talent pool is in Melbourne fu** off and try and get an idea about what you are saying.

My view on the father son is irrelevant but seeing as you want it so much

I would go back to all clubs having zones like the NRL does and then let F/S join the academy of their old mans club even if they live outside the zone

In the draft it does throw up such an issue as academies as it’s a pathway open to every club (admittedly not yet to the Suns or Giants) and not a strategic hand out given to advantage some clubs
You keep saying f/s is available to every club blah blah. That doesnt answer the question. What BENEFIT does it provide anyone by having a f/s system? Why have it for? Why have something for the sake of nothing that throws a spanner in the works? Getting rid of it completely would also be fair across the comp.

And again, it still doesn't address the fact that despite being open to everyone, the amount of f/s players clubs get will always be skewed. So here you are supporting a system that can see a team have 10 f/s players in 10 years whilst another club has 0. You're argument is completely flawed. And any point you make about the academies from then on becomes null and void because its purely and simply a double standard. And the funny part is you keep reiterating it despite making the hypocrisy very clear to everyone in your own words.

Alexandria. Ha. You thought I wouldn’t look.

you don't like Alexandria?

haha

Take your pick then

Mascot 1.5m
Surry Hills 1.8m
Zetland 1.9m
Kingsford 2.0m

Seems if it isn't the most exclusive suburb than you don't think its fair.

Maybe I should have a sook because Essendon players cant afford to live in Toorak or Brighton? We should get 10% extra too!

Your Argument is falling to pieces.

Last edited:

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
There are a lot of people labelling Father/Son in the same catergory as academies, where I think this is a completely different argument. One of the main arguments posted above is that Swans supporters keep saying about the financial and time burden and the work that they put into maintaining academies. Yes, but all these burdens are maintained as they know it gives them a direct advantage to do so.

Whilst the Father/son rule has advantages (we have had one father son in nearly 30 years) there is also human emotion that comes in, not just for the fans but for the people it impacts most. Take Pavlich or Mundy for example for us, how much did he give up to stay loyal to the Dockers, he could have moved at any point for just about any contract throughout his career, but he stayed loyal to his club. If Pavlich/ Mundy's son was good enough to make it don't you think he/they would relish the opportunity to watch his son run out in the colours that he made so many sacrifices to? Whilst it would be an advantage to the dockers (or whatever club) doesn't the narrative and human emotion need some factoring in. The game has already become a business and there is next to no loyalty from clubs it would be great to at least honour the players that do this.

If we are able to tighten the restrictions significantly move from 100 games to 150, 175 or even 200 games and they must not have played for another club, this would ensure that it only affects the one club long term servants and ultimately would only happen every so often, but it would be a great story when it did.

Obviously, the elephant in the room is the Gold Coast and GWS and any other new AFL licenses to come in, whether you have a smaller game total to begin with or you factor in their lower leagues... or they just need to wait? I mean for us we have had one father son player join our club Brett Peake.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

haha

Take your pick then

Mascot 1.5m
Surry Hills 1.8m
Zetland 1.9m
Kingsford 2.0m

Maybe I should have a sook because Essendon players cant afford to live in Toorak or Brighton? We should get 10% extra too!

Don't bother mate.

Didn't you realise when you sign a Swans rookie contract it entitles you to a swank new terrace with a big backyard in Paddington, or a waterfront apartment with 180 degree views in Bronte?

Anything else is borderline homelessness.

10's of thousands of full time UNSW students manage to live and rent in the area for multiple years, absolutely no problem. I did it myself for over 5 years.

But I'm somehow led to believe that it's impossible for a full time professional footballer to do it, even on those on a base wage with all of their food, medical etc provided to them during their work hours?

Lol.

Last edited:
Don't bother mate.

Didn't you realise when you sign a Swans rookie contract it entitles you to a swank new townhouse with a big backyard in Paddington, or a waterfront apartment with 180 degree views in Bronte?

Anything else is borderline homelessness.

10's of thousands of full time students manage to live and rent in the area for multiple years, absolutely no problem. I did it myself for over 5 years.

But I'm somehow led to believe that it's impossible for a full time professional footballer to do it, even on those on a base wage?

Lol.

That isn't even really the argument. They aren't limited to renting, well the junior guys are but that's the same over any state.

There are plenty of AFL players who live in Melbourne, in affluent suburbs who get by, some no doubt even bought there and not renting. There are comparable suburbs price and location wise in Sydney that Swans players can live and buy in. The Melbourne players commute FURTHER to training the the swans players would have to rofl. That is the stupid thing.

The issue it seems is, that unless the Swans players can live in the most affluent suburbs of Sydney, right next to the SCG than its not fair and they need more money. There are suburbs in Melbourne that AFL players wouldn't be able to afford yet that's not an issue at all.

Its a bizarre argument

Last edited:

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That isn't even really the argument. They aren't limited to renting, well the junior guys are but that's the same over any state.

There are plenty of AFL players who live in Melbourne, in affluent suburbs who get by, some no doubt even bought there and not renting. There are comparable suburbs price and location wise in Sydney that Swans players can live and buy in. The Melbourne players commute FURTHER to training the the swans players would have to rofl. That is the stupid thing.

The issue it seems is, that unless the Swans players can live in the most affluent suburbs of Sydney, right next to the SCG than its not fair and they need more money. There are suburbs in Melbourne that AFL players wouldn't be able to afford yet that's not an issue at all.

Its a bizarre argument

Josh Kelly lives in Coogee and drives to Blacktown every day.

It's a 1hr drive in current Sydney traffic.

1617858396270.png

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
You keep saying f/s is available to every club blah blah. That doesnt answer the question. What BENEFIT does it provide anyone by having a f/s system? Why have it for? Why have something for the sake of nothing that throws a spanner in the works? Getting rid of it completely would also be fair across the comp.

And again, it still doesn't address the fact that despite being open to everyone, the amount of f/s players clubs get will always be skewed. So here you are supporting a system that can see a team have 10 f/s players in 10 years whilst another club has 0. You're argument is completely flawed. And any point you make about the academies from then on becomes null and void because its purely and simply a double standard. And the funny part is you keep reiterating it despite making the hypocrisy very clear to everyone in your own words.
Are you always this dumb? Seriously?

You have stated you are pro the father son I have told you my preference of moving away from a draft and moving back to zones.

Having full scale zones at some clubs and not others perverts the drafting system.

To all those who say a zone system wouldn’t work look at the NRL you can count the number of Victorians who have played there in 20 odd years on one hand

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

haha

Take your pick then

Mascot 1.5m
Surry Hills 1.8m
Zetland 1.9m
Kingsford 2.0m

But if you play at the Swans you must buy Bondi waterfront

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Are you always this dumb? Seriously?

You have stated you are pro the father son I have told you my preference of moving away from a draft and moving back to zones.

Having full scale zones at some clubs and not others perverts the drafting system.

To all those who say a zone system wouldn’t work look at the NRL you can count the number of Victorians who have played there in 20 odd years on one hand
I'll ask you for the 4th time. What is the point or benefit of having a f/s system?

I've given you a purpose for the academy yet you refute it. You support the f/s despite it being unequal, but don't even have a reason for it.

Just like Essendon players...…..
Wasn't the argument that you don't have to live by the beach you can live far away and travel to training like Kelly who *checks notes* lives by the beach?

Back