Preview Changes: R4 2021 vs North Melbourne

What will the AFC do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Within one minute of the press conference: "Lynch is experienced, it's up to him, he knows if he's right to go".

Well well well, look at us refusing to learn from our mistakes.
Club hasn't pulled too many poor levers this season .....you have to admit that

Club hasn't pulled too many poor levers this season .....you have to admit that

It hasn't, but this club has been stupid about leaving it up to the players for at least the last decade, so it doesn't get a pass from me. The only thing we've seen is players will always put their hand up to play unless they're physically incapable.

You can even see it in the Kelly presser last week where he said if it wasn't for the concussion ruling, he said he would have indicated he's right to go last week.

It hasn't, but this club has been incredibly stupid about this for about 20 something years. It doesn't get a pass from me.
The past is the past .....history no reflection on decisions moving fwd ....there's a new group of decision makers in place now

The past is the past .....history no reflection on decisions moving fwd ....there's a new group of decision makers in place now

And there are plenty of lessons to learn from the past, and also it is very reflective of decisions moving forward. We know the decision to leave it up to the players will burn a coaching group because you're leaving it up to the worst possible judge in this situation, the player. Under no circumstance will they say they're too injured or need the week off, they can't afford to (and no, it's not selfishness either, the right thing is to front up if you're able too).

Damn naive to think this coaching group can't learn from the failures of past groups instead of spinning the hamster wheel.

And there are plenty of lessons to learn from the past, and also it is very reflective of decisions moving forward.

Damn naive to think this coaching group can't learn from the failures of past groups instead of spinning the hamster wheel.
Maybe they have mate .....no evidence to suggest otherwise

It hasn't, but this club has been stupid about leaving it up to the players for at least the last decade, so it doesn't get a pass from me. The only thing we've seen is players will always put their hand up to play unless they're physically incapable.

You can even see it in the Kelly presser last week where he said if it wasn't for the concussion ruling, he said he would have indicated he's right to go last week.
To be fair, he was pretty bloody good in his return game (vs Gold Coast) - arguably the best game of his entire career. Who is to say that he wasn't ready to go a week earlier, when he was forced out by the concussion protocols?

"Fogarty" and "Fit" are not two words commonly associated with each other. Maybe you should have gone with "uninjured" or "available"?

I went down to the South game last week.
He is certainly fit and raring to go. Was a class above the rest out there.
Doesn't help that he is playing deep forward and the midfielders cant get the ball down there for him.
When he did get moved on ball, he improved the team a lot and actually the team started to play better and get the ball forward.
Maybe give him a chance this year before you write him off

Doesn't help that he is playing deep forward and the midfielders cant get the ball down there for him.
When he did get moved on ball, he improved the team a lot and actually the team started to play better and get the ball forward.
The problem is that he's only fit enough to play the odd cameo on ball, he's nowhere near fit enough to play as a full-time midfielder... and that's at SANFL level. The problem is even worse at AFL level. Granted, this is a massive improvement on where he's been in previous years, but he's still a mile off being properly AFL fit.

Lynch's great strength is his gut running, which allows him to play that "connector" role that he does so well. Fogarty is nowhere near fit enough to play this role.

Didn't he spend a lot of time on ball?

Didn't he spend a lot of time on ball?

No, unfortunately.
It was strange as that week they talked about Fog becoming our 'Dusty'. I thought he was going to playing 50/50 mid /fwd but it didn't happen.
They then played him deep forward for 90% of the first half. And not much more in the 2nd half.
Strachan was average in the ruck so our mids were already behind the eight ball. They played Hately and O'Connor on ball mainly, Jones on the wing

The problem is that he's only fit enough to play the odd cameo on ball, he's nowhere near fit enough to play as a full-time midfielder... and that's at SANFL level. The problem is even worse at AFL level. Granted, this is a massive improvement on where he's been in previous years, but he's still a mile off being properly AFL fit.

Lynch's great strength is his gut running, which allows him to play that "connector" role that he does so well. Fogarty is nowhere near fit enough to play this role.

I think he is fit. He looked good last weekend.
It's not his fault that the midfield cant get the ball to him in the forward lines. If the balls not down there, you cant do much about it.
That's why it's hard for Himmelberg and Thilthorpe along with Fog as we have 3 KPF and a crap midfield.
I don't believe the club think he will be a midfielder and the reason why he plays forward so much, compared to the commentary they come out with.
I agree he isn't a Lynch type, he is the Walker replacement but Tex is in such great form at the moment, he doesn't get to play what I think is his best position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The connector role was probably more important when we generated most of our score from defence. Right now it seems like we generate most of our scores from stoppages.

Subsequently I don’t think you need to worry about replacing that role 1 for 1. Change the forward line up to have 2 lead up first kPF’s who can kick dead straight 60m bombs.

It didn’t work in the past, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work this year, and in this style of game where lead up forwards are worth their weight in gold.

I think he is fit. He looked good last weekend.
It's not his fault that the midfield cant get the ball to him in the forward lines. If the balls not down there, you cant do much about it.
That's why it's hard for Himmelberg and Thilthorpe along with Fog as we have 3 KPF and a crap midfield.
I don't believe the club think he will be a midfielder and the reason why he plays forward so much, compared to the commentary they come out with.
I agree he isn't a Lynch type, he is the Walker replacement but Tex is in such great form at the moment, he doesn't get to play what I think is his best position.
If he was fit enough to play midfield then he wouldn't be spending 90% of his time in the forward line (as per your previous post). At present he's only fit enough for the occasional cameo in the SANFL midfield, which is miles short of being ready to play any kind of midfield role at AFL level.

If he was fit enough to play midfield then he wouldn't be spending 90% of his time in the forward line (as per your previous post). At present he's only fit enough for the occasional cameo in the SANFL midfield, which is miles short of being ready to play any kind of midfield role at AFL level.

As I said, I don't believe the club think he is a midfielder, that's why they don't play him there

Well he's definitely not a forward, so if he can't be turned into a midfielder then where does he play at AFL level?
Oh boy, talk about tempting fate. This is the kind of comment that could very very quickly come back to bite you on the butt Vader... Like Sunday at around 4pm

Pretty funny saying Fogarty is "definitely not a forward" and can't replace Lynch when Lynch himself has averaged 0.3 goals a game over his past 15 games
He's even less suited to playing Lynch's role as the "connector", which involves a hell of a lot of gut running all day. Fog just isn't fit enough to play Lynch's role.

I think deep down we all know the answer to this question.

Reminds me of when Jacobs did his ankle.
ROB came in for two games and then Jacobs declared himself fit, only to hobble around for the next 3 matches until he recovered from the injury.
Those senior players don't like giving a younger team mate a go, scared they may outperform them and lose their spot in the team

He's even less suited to playing Lynch's role as the "connector", which involves a hell of a lot of gut running all day. Fog just isn't fit enough to play Lynch's role.

Lynch's role as the "connector" as I've described earlier in this thread, is not what you are saying it is. He used to be the connection from the midfield to the forward line, playing both roles.

Now he's just a midfielder. He basically plays as a forward half wing. None of this "connector" stuff, because he is literally ineffective as a forward. He just does not impact the scoreboard.

In fact Lynch is actually less effective as a "connector" than Ben Keays. He averages the same score involvements as Keays, but fewer inside 50s, goals, clearances, meters gained and effective disposals.

So our actual "connector" right now is Ben Keays. Not Tom Lynch. And Keays is also doubling up his roles by playing inside midfield at times AND being more of a scoreboard threat.

It would be trivial to reorganize our team to ditch Lynch and play an actual forward. Bring a player like Schoenberg, Berry or McHenry further up the field, insert Fog into the forward line.

This "connector" bullshit is just an excuse not to play Fogarty and a gross exaggeration of Lynch's inability to be replaced (he is very replaceable)

Back