Scape Goat Who should we trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

You usually get the currency when someone wants to leave for another club. We pay overs for JOM, * pay overs for Shiel but get overs for Saad, Geelong get overs for Kelly, etc. You just don't really get the currency when you are looking to trade out. And that is on top of having to have that player agree to leave.

Trading out lower valued players (I'm expecting the TOB/Howe hatred to appear here) gets you draft picks that aren't really worth it.

As much as I hate the * they took a risk last year and were able to get three early first round picks in what would seen to a COVID compromised draft. We chose not to do something similar but could we do it this year? Do you want one player in the top five or 2-3 in the 8-18 range?

No he is not. The last game we went man on man. He was assigned to Guthrie in the last and couldn't impact. The game against Richmond Worps was found out defensively quite a few times especially when taking the center bounce. JOM and shiels and the rest of our defensive structure were buggered chasing tail and filling holes. Worps is struggling. He is trying really hard to have an impact but his kicking has also gone to sh*t. I am not suggesting we trade him btw
I'm not saying he is doing the defensive work well. He is doing it to free up Jaegar though & you can see that working on that end but we are getting burnt the other way.

Considering Worpels game has gone down dramatically since Mitchell came back into the team would it be stupid to suggest you trade Mitchell and get good currency and have a younger inside mid like Worpel for the next 10 years?
I’m not here for bait and if you don’t want an outsiders opinion just delete

This isnt such a silly idea

I would pull the trigger on this trade in a heartbeat if say Cerra wanted to come back to VIC (which has been rumored). Fits our structure more and covers the ground better and kicks more accurately (on face value) which is the aim of the game so far this year given the game is more free flowing

I wouldn't want to trade him however if we couldn't see what was coming back given draft picks are a lottery and i cant see him being worth a top 10 pick

The question is, who do we consider are our untouchables?

Put that list together.

Anyone not on it is tradeable.

Just a matter of if there is a market and if the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Market price is never going to be right for those on that list

The question is, who do we consider are our untouchables?

Put that list together.

Anyone not on it is tradeable.

Just a matter of if there is a market and if the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actual list of untouchables under the age of 30?
- W.Day
- B.Hardwick
- J.Sicily
- J.Impey
- C.Jiath
- J.Scrimshaw
- C.Wingard
- M.Lewis

Those who are young or still have something to prove but could be on the list above by the end of the year/unlikely to be considered for trade this year:
- All 2020 draftees (D.Grainger-Barass, C.Downie, etc)
- F.Maginess
- E.Jeka
- J.Koshitske
- N.Reeves
- D.Greaves
- D.Moore
- H.Morrison

I think everyone else is fair game.

Actual list of untouchables under the age of 30?
- W.Day
- B.Hardwick
- J.Sicily
- J.Impey
- C.Jiath
- J.Scrimshaw
- C.Wingard
- M.Lewis

Those who are young or still have something to prove but could be on the list above by the end of the year/unlikely to be considered for trade this year:
- All 2020 draftees (D.Grainger-Barass, C.Downie, etc)
- F.Maginess
- E.Jeka
- J.Koshitske
- N.Reeves
- D.Greaves
- D.Moore
- H.Morrison

I think everyone else is fair game.

I don't believe Hardwick is untouchable - though having said that I don't think we would ever get true value for him in a trade.

The only players we would possibly get good value for are Worpel (though as that stands it's declining by the day) and Day. Neither of which I'd be keen to trade at the moment.

If we can't trade fringe players then I think we'd have to trade someone like Shiels, and probably settle for a second/third rounder. That won't happen though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever the list of untouchables is, it probably includes all the players who are actually worth trading.

Yeah. We aren't blessed with an abundance of tradeable assets ATM and we are hitching our future on our group of youngsters - so there is no point in trading them unless they are wanting to move home.

So with that in mind of Greaves and/or Brockman wanted to return to WA we'd probably have to look at making a trade.

Definitely. But doubt anyone would take him.
Brisbane (fragile ruck division)
Dogs (Martin might have another year, they like the 2 ruck dynamic with English)
Gold Coast (they have 1 ruck outside of Witts)
St Kilda (Ryder last year, Hunter not AFL Standard, Marshall more ruck/fwd)

Brisbane (fragile ruck division)
Dogs (Martin might have another year, they like the 2 ruck dynamic with English)
Gold Coast (they have 1 ruck outside of Witts)
St Kilda (Ryder last year, Hunter not AFL Standard, Marshall more ruck/fwd)

If anyone of those teams would do it for a third/fourth rounder then I'll drive him over myself.

If anyone of those teams would do it for a third/fourth rounder then I'll drive him over myself.

What would be the point, though? If the club doesn't like the way he plays, they can just drop him, which they've shown very little interest in doing thus far. Even then, he'd still likely be more useful as a back-up option who at least knows the game plan already.

If you want to trade your way to a better list in the medium term, you need to make actual sacrifices. And a lot supporters - and maybe even some players - are just not going to be able to cope with the kind of names that would need to be given up to get they kinds of players the club needs.

Given where we are (bottom 4 last year) I don't think anyone is "untouchable" - but given players have to agree to be traded, I think it's also irrelevant.

Nailing (ie not just having) multiple higher picks in the same draft I think is a path to success, but you're never going to get higher picks trading out guys who are only getting a game because you're a bottom 4 team and wouldn't get many games in a top team.

But if someones in our team who could attract high end picks comes at season's end and nominates somewhere, I think we should go for it. And hope to * it wasn't Essendon that was nominated.

Three picks in the top 20 would be pretty nice - provided we nail 'em

What would be the point, though? If the club doesn't like the way he plays, they can just drop him, which they've shown very little interest in doing thus far. Even then, he'd still likely be more useful as a back-up option who at least knows the game plan already.

If you want to trade your way to a better list in the medium term, you need to make actual sacrifices. And a lot supporters - and maybe even some players - are just not going to be able to cope with the kind of names that would need to be given up to get they kinds of players the club needs.
No but part of a list rebuilding is also identifying list spots that provide greater value depending on who takes the spot, and having Ceglar on the list rather then a player like Walsh or Heath who have genuine future promise and youth on their side, and Ceglar is also taking up cap space

Just consider for a moment that it's been reported multiple times that the young guys at the club are quite a close group and a lot of our good performance from them this year has likely come from the enjoyment and familiarity they have playing together.

Morrison in particular is apparently very popular amongst that group. Force him out in a trade and you don't just lose a rising talent but probably a heap of club morale.

No but part of a list rebuilding is also identifying list spots that provide greater value depending on who takes the spot, and having Ceglar on the list rather then a player like Walsh or Heath who have genuine future promise and youth on their side, and Ceglar is also taking up cap space

Not convinced that trading out players who have no real value, especially those in a position where the club isn't flush, would be very high on the priority list at this point in time ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back