Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't trade as we need to keep the top 5 pick.
Throw the coin at Merrett and be done with it.

I agree. Either get him or make the drug cheats pay through the nose (Dildo is not going to make it a pleasant experience). Then use the picks in the next two drafts on good midfielders and IF one of our current KPF prospects turns out ok we can be back in contention by 2023.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree. Either get him or make the drug cheats pay through the nose (Dildo is not going to make it a pleasant experience). Then use the picks in the next two drafts on good midfielders and IF one of our current KPF prospects turns out ok we can be back in contention by 2023.
Dodo wants the extra pick I reckon. As long as we pay what band 1 compo is, he'd open the gates.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can’t see the point of taking Callow when we already have Jeka, Kosi, Lewis and TOB.

if we want to grab a tall forward, they need to a superstar.
I’d be looking to add Callow as a defender in the short term to replace Hartigan when the time comes.
If he comes on as a forward then great.
Gunners is getting on, Timmy is not the answer as much as I like him in the side atm. Hartigan is a stop gap and Hartley... I haven’t seen or heard enough reports to say that he is a back up.
Patton is gone, surely, Cegs and BB are on the wrong side of 30.
Lewis and Kosi both show promise but not proven. Essentially he’d be an insurance policy that we can develop. You can’t have enough good talls IMO.
And he comes from the club I played at for a short period :)

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd be wanting Darcy from Freo. Hate to see him gifted to the Cats.

It be nice to sort out our ruck stocks for a decade too. (although Reeves seems to be developing well at BHH)

Despite being out due to injury the new rules have also not been kind to ruckman like darcy . He also has never recaptured his form since he got injured in 2018.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looking at our previous relationship with Port Adelaide and trading
I would be looking at Peter Ladhams, been dropped again this week

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I'd be wanting Darcy from Freo. Hate to see him gifted to the Cats.

It be nice to sort out our ruck stocks for a decade too. (although Reeves seems to be developing well at BHH)

We could do with both Darcy and Cerra. Both are urgent positions of need (unless Reeves really kicks on).

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Don't think he's been dropped but more so rested. If Port play their cards right and rotate their players and can get to September relatively injury free then there's no reason they can't win it all.

ML4Hodgy

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sam Hayes from Port is the other one I’d be targeting - let him and Reeves fight it out for the #1 spot.
Out of contract, and there have been a few people giving him wraps as a young ruckman - Matt Rendell said he was the one they identified to replace Grundy if he left.

Merrett looking very good tonight. Pay.

If the club was willing to pay Coniglio 800-900k per year, then I don’t see why Merrett wouldn’t be worth a contract that is similar. He’s also 2 years younger.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I will give the unpopular opinion z.merret is not the answer. Definatly a very handy footballer.
-Goal scoring mid. No
-high effiencey. No
-long penterating kick. No

While he would be a good pick up I wouldn't pay the farm for someone who is very similar to our current mids, outside his leg speed in traffic.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Zerrett and the Chad would be a handful for the oppo mids to handle imo all the while Jag and Mitchell go about their work without fuss! Do it!!!!!
He would balance out our midfield very well, as a free agent we can get him without ruining our draft hand. It’s just money. And we have to meet the cap minimum after years of “front loading” and failing to land free agents. We have to have the room. Pay

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He would balance out our midfield very well, as a free agent we can get him without ruining our draft hand. It’s just money. And we have to meet the cap minimum after years of “front loading” and failing to land free agents. We have to have the room. Pay
Spot on.
He's exactly what our midfield needs. Class.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
800-900k over 5 front loaded seems about right. Can't see us offering more. Chad cornes the other day went on a rant about mega contracts and it was the one intelligent thought he had: unless it's a proven difference maker i.e., dusty or fyfe etc., then don't go over the mill. You see it with carlton now paying zac Williams 900k when his value is likely closer to 650-750. Over valuing can really handicap you. Just look at Dan hannebury and Brad Hill. Hope he is a Hawk but on our terms...

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
800-900k over 5 front loaded seems about right. Can't see us offering more. Chad cornes the other day went on a rant about mega contracts and it was the one intelligent thought he had: unless it's a proven difference maker i.e., dusty or fyfe etc., then don't go over the mill. You see it with carlton now paying zac Williams 900k when his value is likely closer to 650-750. Over valuing can really handicap you. Just look at Dan hannebury and Brad Hill. Hope he is a Hawk but on our terms...

I've been told on good authority that Williams contract is substantially less than that.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have heard multiple times that Williams is on "significantly less" than what was reported in the media - from a good source.

I wonder what Saad and Martin are on though. And what will they do with Cripps, Walsh and McKay - who are all going to command good money.

Unfortunately I think Curnow is pretty cooked. He won't be getting any kind of payday.
lol of course they are all going to say he is on less then reported, no benefit to the public knowing his crazy salary that also has incentives to push it over a mill a year

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Brad Hill on 900k is just mind boggling, on current form I wouldn't pay him 300k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back