Crowds a concern

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
is it more than vic's arent used to having to pre-book stuff like all other states? just used to rocking up and sitting with mates in a GA area if not members ? and if are members, just not happy with extra steps involved?
Pretty much all of this, the added hastle of having to book a ticket via Ticketek even if you're a member, Allocated seating makes organising to go with people harder etc. It sounds like petty stuff but it has no doubt contributed to lesser crowds.

is it more than vic's arent used to having to pre-book stuff like all other states? just used to rocking up and sitting with mates in a GA area if not members ? and if are members, just not happy with extra steps involved?
Is that the same everywhere? Can’t see it in Brisbane or Sydney. Adelaide and Perth make more sense

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Pretty much all of this, the added hastle of having to book a ticket via Ticketek even if you're a member, Allocated seating makes organising to go with people harder etc. It sounds like petty stuff but it has no doubt contributed to lesser crowds.
ive had to do the same up here both last year and this year for suns games. im a member and have a seat in one block. but have to go online and redeem my free tickets (free as in i have already paid) to get my seats each game - but system works perfectly and on my phone it takes 60 second now as it has my password and email address and phone number for text tickets and email invoice. i know less demand up here so system not under pressure but its all thru same central ticketmaster servers so if i am redeeming at same time a melb game come on, i do get delays in system ticking over.
one plus fo rme is that my seats i am getting game by game are slightly better location than my usual seats - so im not complaining!

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Is that the same everywhere? Can’t see it in Brisbane or Sydney. Adelaide and Perth make more sense
not sure of sydney or brisbane, but at metricon pre-covid there are some blocks of GA behind goals (and they are usually full) but the empty seats you see on tv are all $50 plus hence empty - people in melb like to bag our crowds and empty seats up here but i really think they dont understand that they are not just $20/$25 seats you can just rock up in and sit - you need to pay big $ for them.

anyway thats pre-covid - maybe going fwd they will make metricon like mcg/marvel and more GA seats

not sure of sydney or brisbane, but at metricon pre-covid there are some blocks of GA behind goals (and they are usually full) but the empty seats you see on tv are all $50 plus hence empty - people in melb like to bag our crowds and empty seats up here but i really think they dont understand that they are not just $20/$25 seats you can just rock up in and sit - you need to pay big $ for them.

anyway thats pre-covid - maybe going fwd they will make metricon like mcg/marvel and more GA seats
That really surprises me.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
That really surprises me.
it always does my friend, whenever i post it in a thread on here and melb people read it they are surprised.....
its shocking in growing market.
the AFL - who get walk up sale revenue dont they? - should just open up at least half the blocks as GA, not 1/4 as they do now

Ticketmaster is worse.

First you click the team. Then the game. Go to the member page. Put your bar codes in. Then you have to log in again. Put your details in as if youre actually buying it and finally you get your tickets

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Ticketmaster is worse.

First you click the team. Then the game. Go to the member page. Put your bar codes in. Then you have to log in again. Put your details in as if youre actually buying it and finally you get your tickets
the suns use ticketek. they send us a link and the barcode numbers to put into the space.
i click on link and it goes to the right page. i then copy the numbers from the email, paste into the box and click next. and then i click redeem my seat (one for each barcode). click next, it knows my logon and password, and next and email /text sent. tickets on my phone.

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whe do we think at the MCG and Marvel the zones will finish up i feel in 2 weeks time. I think its time to open it up a bit more. Not a fan of the zone system.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Not a nightmare just stupid. One minute they are selling back rows on level 4, 20 minutes later they are selling much better seats the next bay over for the same price

No doubt some people would be turned off in going if they see that they are going to sit right up the back. It is not like they are selling tickets to finals which can sell out quickly

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Whe do we think at the MCG and Marvel the zones will finish up i feel in 2 weeks time. I think its time to open it up a bit more. Not a fan of the zone system.
Zones would be fine if there was also some general admission areas so groups can sit together or members can sit with non member mates. Zones and all reserved seating is overkill

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
I thought 40k on that timeslot was impressive for Richmond Hawthorn when you consider how poor our turn out normally is with 160k members between us

A lot of people cash strapped and still a lot of uncertainty and variability in every day life means crowds will probably take a hit

hebog

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Swansea
I thought 40k on that timeslot was impressive for Richmond Hawthorn when you consider how poor our turn out normally is with 160k members between us

A lot of people cash strapped and still a lot of uncertainty and variability in every day life means crowds will probably take a hit
people who cannot cope with Ticketmaster and Ticketec are not going to go either.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
people who cannot cope with Ticketmaster and Ticketec are not going to go either.
Yeah honestly as a tech savvy person who is comfortable with online transactions, apps and ticketing even i get turned off at having to use ticketmaster....

It sucks a lot that there are venues with ticketmaster deals in the world because their whole platform is garbage - espeically the club specific platform.

Ticketek is like a 5 star hotel comparatively :D

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Buy club home game membership ticket

Scan membership ticket at ground entrance and find a seat in GA section

Anything more involved than this in going to the footy and i just won’t bother with any of it
lucky you were born and/or live in melbourne!

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
the three or so hours you never thought you had... doing a trip along the wide open road that will carry you towards a
more intense gratification... celave...

Back