Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo already have the 'not West Coast' market covered and they do a terrible job of it and haven't grown in any meaningful way for 15 years now whilst the West Coast brand just gets bigger and bigger.

When they finally gathered some momentum in concert with the rise of Pavdilands and also mopped up some inevitable generic West Aussie footy fan-spillover from nominal Eagles supporters who couldn’t get within a bull’s roar of a membership at Thimbleiaco, and rather than taking it for what it is as a whole, our marketing gurus figured it had a lot to do with making purple and ‘Freo’ the cornerstone of their identity, and we should do a similar thing with teal and ‘Power’.

The noughties, man.

20 teams what a joke. Eddie finding any excuse to push a future that maintains 10 Vic clubs.

Seems like yesterday there was widespread concern about the shallow talent pool resulting from 18 teams.

Start culling unloved VFL relics like Norf first.

And Tassie's stadium needs a roof? Why???
I like his Finals system.
Would go even further and propose a Final 18.
More games.
More tv sponsorship.
Everyone's a winner folks.

I like his Finals system.
Would go even further and propose a Final 18.
More games.
More tv sponsorship.
Everyone's a winner folks.
That’s the US college basketball system. In the conference tournaments, all teams qualify.

20 teams what a joke. Eddie finding any excuse to push a future that maintains 10 Vic clubs.

Seems like yesterday there was widespread concern about the shallow talent pool resulting from 18 teams.

Start culling unloved VFL relics like Norf first.

And Tassie's stadium needs a roof? Why???

because a tassie stadium would be too much of a home ground advantage to the Tasmanian team and not in favour of the Collingwood or the big Victorian clubs?

There is no reason why it needs to have a roof. Tasmania in winter is cold, but so is Canberra and GWS plays there without a roof.

Maguire’s plan is headline grabbing and people are eating it up.

because a tassie stadium would be too much of a home ground advantage to the Tasmanian team and not in favour of the Collingwood or the big Victorian clubs?

There is no reason why it needs to have a roof. Tasmania in winter is cold, but so is Canberra and GWS plays there without a roof.

Yeah it probably would have been easier to ignore his suggestions and call it out as the cry for relevance it was.

At least he's changed the record from "we own black and white".

Quotas are bullshit.
Not when there's a closed shop.
They'd be bullshit if they were picking the very best regardless of background, or even that those selected were able to understand the issues facing those not represented, but they aren't.

Instead they are full of the 'all boys private school' types wearing their Xavier tie.

Last edited:
2.7m people shared between 2 teams, Vic 6.6m 10 teams, SA 1.7m 2 teams, Tassie 0.5m 1 team in the heartland.

Plus it potentially weakens WCE over 20 years. They are a Goliath and if they ever have a Prez who roars like Kennett or McGuire, the Vics would piss themselves.
I said other than finances.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said other than finances.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
There are plenty of people in footy who think the WCE will become too powerful - on and off the field. Is that finances or paranoia reasons?

What's the logic behind a third Perth team other than financial feasibility? Is there some demographic unrepresented? I think SA would have more claim for a third team, finances aside.

The Crows (the mistake, wannabe state/city team)
Port (Port)
Traditional or merged SANFL clubs (the rest)
SA is actually pretty similar in problems for expansion as Perth.

Where in WA they have the franchise West Coast juggernaut and the not-West Coast group.

Here in SA we started with the not-Ports group, then added Ports.

Like the WA audience, the SA audience is basically catered for because of how the city is split. Its not like we have one western suburbs side and one eastern, with Adelaide being able to support an expansion of a northern or southern suburbs side.

Not that it will happen, but I think a 3rd SA team would damage the crows more than it would damage us. It will split the non-Port supporters, and a lot of disenfranchised crows fans would jump over the crows mk II.

Not that it will happen, but I think a 3rd SA team would damage the crows more than it would damage us. It will split the non-Port supporters, and a lot of disenfranchised crows fans would jump over the crows mk II.
That is the sort of thinking by some in Victoria re weakening the WCE. TeeKray wrote that he can't see it happening and those living in WA would know better than the rest of us, but I suspect some people in power at the AFL in Melbourne are hoping like hell it would weaken them before one day they say enough is enough we are going to stand up even stronger for ourselves.

After spending $60m+ on their new facility, $10m grant from both WA and the feds and spending $40m of their own cash reserves, then covid hits and cuts their revenue in half they still had $32m cash in the bank and $32m invested in shares and bonds as at 31st October 2020. They are a Goliath. Could you imagine if McGuire was their President or someone as passionate about the Eagles like McGuire is for the pies?? He would be haranguing the AFL daily for better concessions across all issues and have the financial muscle to push harder than he does now.

That is the sort of thinking by some in Victoria re weakening the WCE. TeeKray wrote that he can't see it happening and those living in WA would know better than the rest of us, but I suspect some people in power at the AFL in Melbourne are hoping like hell it would weaken them before one day they say enough is enough we are going to stand up even stronger for ourselves.

After spending $60m+ on their new facility, $10m grant from both WA and the feds and spending $40m of their own cash reserves, then covid hits and cuts their revenue in half they still had $32m cash in the bank and $32m invested in shares and bonds as at 31st October 2020. They are a Goliath. Could you imagine if McGuire was their President or someone as passionate about the Eagles like McGuire is for the pies?? He would be haranguing the AFL daily for better concessions across all issues and have the financial muscle to push harder than he does now.
I think the WC brand in WA is stronger than the crows brand in SA. I can't see many WC supporters jumping ship to a 3rd WA team. If anything, they might end up splitting the non-WC supporter base, to the detriment of Freo. But I can see lots of crows supporters having another go at supporting a state franchise. It's all rhetorical anyway.

Its more than that. He was on the Covid panel that oversaw the comp last year.

He has seen that GC and GWS were gifted a licence. He has seen how much red ink there is at AFL clubs, that the expansion clubs will be on big handouts from the AFL for at least a decade, North don't want to move down there and that whilst Tassie morally deserve a team and people are lobbying for one, what is the point of another GC that struggles to survive and players don't really want to be there.

So if we are going to expand, lets have a big bang and make sure Tassie have time to get ready, and thrive from day 1 - not surviving on AFL handouts, but government ones. ;)

Storwood Bluelegs be gettin all their supporters back from the crows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back