Roast Club Traitors: the new list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Higgins.
Supported him through his issues then decided it was too tough to break into our side and took the easy option.

I got the impression the split between Higgins and Richmond was mutual ie Tigers asked him to seek more opportunities elsewhere. You are being way too harsh.

Stewie Maxfield is one that springs to mind to Richmond, was a great player for the Tigers who became an even better one at the Swans.

Tom Lynch and Steven May

joining fellow turncoat Leigh Colbert in exiting their clubs and while captains

May at least did the right thing by Gold Coast and didn't mind which Vic club he got traded too, and ensure the Suns didn't get ripped off in a trade.

I don't begrudge Ablett taking the godfather Suns deal. Colbert another obvious one, but I think the Colbert side of that story is that he was being undermined, Kim Hughes-style by people who resented that he got the nod as captain.

Justin Murphy's a bit more under the radar as a Geelong example. But Bomba Thompson would just about have to top the list: wouldn't have minded him leaving, but it was pretty distasteful for him to be at Ablett all season to commit to the club, only for it to come out that he (Thompson) had been in conversations with Watson and Essendon for months during the same season.

He won you two flags and GAJ was always going to leave for the money at Gold Coast anyway.

Bomber T is a flog but I cannot see how can possibly he described as a traitor to Geelong in any way.

I thought the Bulldogs would have more vitriol for Cal Ward , no?
Speaking of Bulldog traitors, no mention of Nathan Brown's defection to Richmond?

With Carey, I remembered him getting nuclear heat in his match against the Roos down at Docklands stadium
We screwed up the Ward negotiations, could have signed him early that year but waited. Then GWS came along with an offer around double ours.

Brown hurt at the time but we were tight for cash and basically offered him a paycut after an AA-quality year so we could keep other stars. I don't think any player would stay under the same circumstances.

As mentioned elsewhere, Talia and Griffen would be the Bulldog traitors and after all these years Griffen is still friends with a lot of the older bulldog crew. Talia not so much.

Leaked game plan secrets to his brother Daniel on the eve of the 2015 finals series. The result was instantly noticeable and obvious to all. Amongst others, Jake Stringer’s role was nullified almost instantly drawing immediate question marks.

Yeah so instantly noticeable that Adelaide had inside knowledge when W.B kick the first 3 goals of the game in the first 5 minutes -

Jack Gunston was given the most promising player award at Adelaide then stripped of it when he requested a move to Hawthorn.

These are seemingly times where the club cared far more than the supporter base however.

bit hard to give him the award when his manager rocks up to the club alone the day before B&F (with the club under the assumption it was to re-sign with the Crows) to tell Adelaide that Jack has flown home to Melbourne already and isn't coming back, trade him to Hawthorn

Just exactly how was he supposed to collect his award in that circumstance? Don't think zoom was quite around yet

I got the impression the split between Higgins and Richmond was mutual ie Tigers asked him to seek more opportunities elsewhere. You are being way too harsh.

Stewie Maxfield is one that springs to mind to Richmond, was a great player for the Tigers who became an even better one at the Swans.
Maxy is on the AFL for giving the Swans privilege to strip uncontracted players.

I got Brad Ottens, Matty White, Jack Higgins on my list. Only three players I can think of who left RFC when still required, to varying degrees.

Brad Ottens towers over the others in treachery, even showed up at the '17 QF to ring a cowbell to antagonize us. I reckon the booing is still ringing in his ears today...and then we shoved it right up his beloved Cats on the field.

A thing of beauty.

Higgins going was no big deal, a very limited player and a poor set shot at goal, fell behind the pecking order of smalls at Rich and with Maurice coming in was going to fall even further down. Im all for him seeking opportunities elsewhere.

Carey absolutely qualifies. Off field actions shouldn't detract from the achievements of one of the all-time kick arse teams of the AFL era (half the premierships in the Roos' history were claimed in the mid to late 90s and North could have easily won three or four during that period), but unforunately they do.

Sorry to say, but when most people are asked about their memories of that champion team, the first thing that comes to mind would be the Carey/Stevens affair. And that's all down to Carey's selfishness and utter disregard for a close friend and 200+ game teammate.

Sorry to say, but you aren't a North supporter and I doubt the majority of North fans put Carey on a "club traitor list" despite what he did in the toilet, as per the OP.

He still achieved a shitload for the club and never actively wanted to leave the club.

It was a ****ed up situation, but we were well compensated at the time given Carey's age.

We screwed up the Ward negotiations, could have signed him early that year but waited. Then GWS came along with an offer around double ours.

Brown hurt at the time but we were tight for cash and basically offered him a paycut after an AA-quality year so we could keep other stars. I don't think any player would stay under the same circumstances.

As mentioned elsewhere, Talia and Griffen would be the Bulldog traitors and after all these years Griffen is still friends with a lot of the older bulldog crew. Talia not so much.

Going back a bit, would have thought Brad Hardie was a pretty big Doggies traitor

Going back a bit, would have thought Brad Hardie was a pretty big Doggies traitor
I loved Hardie but IIRC that was more a coaching relationship breakdown than anything. Losing Luke Penny hurt at the time because I rated him and thought he'd develop into a gun KPD, Tony McGuinness too although that was a unique circumstance with the Crows entering the competition.

There are some players we've lost I'd welcome back in a heartbeat - Joel Hamling would be my no 1 right now.
Marcus Adams is AFL quality too in those brief moments he can get on the paddock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Mitchell. Swans had to up his contract the day we drafted him so he wouldn't go to the Giants.

Keep him on a high wage while he plays in reserves. Uses his dad at Carlton to put pressure on the Swans to up his contract further.

Finally cements himself in the team, playing the last 45/50 games then requests a trade to Hawthorn of all clubs.

Sook of the highest caliber

Tom Mitchell. Swans had to up his contract the day we drafted him so he wouldn't go to the Giants.

Keep him on a high wage while he plays in reserves. Uses his dad at Carlton to put pressure on the Swans to up his contract further.

Finally cements himself in the team, playing the last 45/50 games then requests a trade to Hawthorn of all clubs.

Sook of the highest caliber

Longmire didn't rate him. Simple as that.

I wouldn’t say blessings. He had a promising start, we nursed him back from his medical issues and he bailed on us almost a short time after he was healthy again. Traitor is too harsh a word, but I don’t think blessings are in order either. I’d say most thought he was a bit of a selfish campaigner, but we wouldn’t be bothered booing him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They all seem to go with the club's blessings nowadays Goon. We're just in that fortunate position where all the blokes that have left recently have been surplus to our ongoing needs (without the context of staying within the confines of the salary cap, at least). I genuinely cheer on the likes of Conca, Ellis, Lloyd, Butler, Markov, Higgins, Towner, Menadue etc at their new clubs when they're not playing against us. Anyone who boos them is not worthy of attaching themselves to the current Richmond success.

We have no modern day equivalent of Craig Lambert who left when we most needed him, or Raines/Cloke/Taylor/Wood who all got caught up in a stupid ego battle between once powerful men trying to cling onto relevance.

What's more, I never begrudged Ottens his flags at Geelong - he gave us his all and deserved better than Tigerland was able to offer at the time. We got a great hand of draft picks from the Cats for him, and just because we effectively pissed them up against the wall was no reason for me to hold it against Otto.

Luke Ball I'll give you, but Hudgton? He retired and became an assistant coach.

If that is your logic then surely Robert Harvey is also on your list.

Max retired after the 2009 GF and became an Assistant Coach at the Pies almost the next day.

I imagine he took some fairly valuable IP that allowed Collingwood to gain an extra edge.

The vision of him smiling and laughing at the post 2010 GF replay after the Pies won was hard to handle.....

He won you two flags and GAJ was always going to leave for the money at Gold Coast anyway.

Bomber T is a flog but I cannot see how can possibly he described as a traitor to Geelong in any way.

Ablett: unless you're unclear on the definitions of "begrudge" and "godfather deal", I'm not sure why you're arguing with my post. We're pretty much saying the exact same thing.

Thompson: demonstrated breathtaking hypocrisy at the very least with his treatment of Ablett in 2010. For some, that may have crossed over to outright treachery when Thompson himself left in the same offseason.

An unusual one for Geelong - Justin Murphy....while he was still at Geelong. The game v Carlton at Princes Park when Milburn knocked Silvagni out. Murphy did not want to be associated with the Geelong players when they left the field that day.

"Although he had been an ardent Geelong fan throughout his childhood, Murphy had whole-heartedly embraced the Blues.... he knuckled down at Sleepy Hollow and had a good season (in 2001), averaging 21 disposals in 18 games to finish third in the club’s Best and Fairest. But his heart was still at Carlton, as he had clearly shown late in the season during a physical encounter at Princes Park, when Geelong defender Darren Milburn smashed Blues champion Stephen Silvagni to the turf with a front-on charge as Carlton’s full-back stretched for a mark. While Silvagni was carried from the field, Murphy made his disgust at Milburn’s actions clear to everyone – including Milburn himself – so it came as no surprise when Justin was traded back to Carlton at the end of that one season."

Last edited:
They all seem to go with the club's blessings nowadays Goon. We're just in that fortunate position where all the blokes that have left recently have been surplus to our ongoing needs (without the context of staying within the confines of the salary cap, at least). I genuinely cheer on the likes of Conca, Ellis, Lloyd, Butler, Markov, Higgins, Towner, Menadue etc at their new clubs when they're not playing against us. Anyone who boos them is not worthy of attaching themselves to the current Richmond success.

We have no modern day equivalent of Craig Lambert who left when we most needed him, or Raines/Cloke/Taylor/Wood who all got caught up in a stupid ego battle between once powerful men trying to cling onto relevance.

What's more, I never begrudged Ottens his flags at Geelong - he gave us his all and deserved better than Tigerland was able to offer at the time. We got a great hand of draft picks from the Cats for him, and just because we effectively pissed them up against the wall was no reason for me to hold it against Otto.
A healthy attitude like that has no place on BF.

The difference with the ones bolded above is that they had all either served time or were fully developed and not near breaking into the starting 22. Perhaps Markov aside. But Higgs was a fan favourite and left after the club showed him a ton of support but hadn't yet developed to his potential. No doubt the club wished him well but as far as the Tiger supporters are concerned (what you originally said) my feel is that we were on the whole pretty disappointed in his decision.

Other than that pretty much agree with what you said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back