Discussion 2021-Fantasy General-Discussion-Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts ?

Why are women excluded from fantasy sport?
Take "fantasy sport" for example. For those who don't know, it's effectively an online game where you are given a salary cap or budget to assemble a virtual team of real players in your chosen sport. Each week those players are assigned scores according to their real-life performances, and, like tipping competitions, you compete against friends or colleagues in leagues.

Fantasy sport is fun, but it's also big business.

By 2027, Allied Market Research estimates it will be worth $48.6 billion worldwide. And while it's still in its relative infancy in Australia, 60 million people were playing in North America in 2017.

It's well established that fantasy sport grows fans' interest in particular sports or leagues, increasing the number of games they watch as well as their knowledge of teams, players and tactics. In other words, it's a perfect marketing tool.

The problem is, there are no official fantasy leagues for women's sport.

Thoughts ?

Why are women excluded from fantasy sport?
Take "fantasy sport" for example. For those who don't know, it's effectively an online game where you are given a salary cap or budget to assemble a virtual team of real players in your chosen sport. Each week those players are assigned scores according to their real-life performances, and, like tipping competitions, you compete against friends or colleagues in leagues.

Fantasy sport is fun, but it's also big business.

By 2027, Allied Market Research estimates it will be worth $48.6 billion worldwide. And while it's still in its relative infancy in Australia, 60 million people were playing in North America in 2017.

It's well established that fantasy sport grows fans' interest in particular sports or leagues, increasing the number of games they watch as well as their knowledge of teams, players and tactics. In other words, it's a perfect marketing tool.

The problem is, there are no official fantasy leagues for women's sport.

My missus despises the amount of time I spend on fantasy. That in itself would probably mean she wouldn’t play. Plus I feel like the majority of women don’t like games as much as blokes

My missus despises the amount of time I spend on fantasy. That in itself would probably mean she wouldn’t play. Plus I feel like the majority of women don’t like games as much as blokes
I think the reference was having Fantasy applied to Women’s Sports like the AFLW

I think the reference was having Fantasy applied to Women’s Sports like the AFLW
Oh yeah for sure, I was sort of still replying to reference of that. I guess it's a big money business and there's still not enough money coming through for WAFL? Could be one aspect. From personal experience, I don't know any women that watch WAFL, but I know plenty of blokes who do

Is draft settings stuffed for anyone else? When I try to change something it comes up with an error saying my fixtures need to be set to Flexible even though they are :drunk: . I even paid for Draft Pro but can’t select an emergency TOG Threshold 😒

Yep, games dont have a "point" is the common argument - well they certainly have more of a point that numerous other time sinks ladies stereotypical pour into (reality television, social media scrolling etc).

Has anyone been able to access Selby's weekly support stuff yet?. I subscribed last week but haven't noticed a change to the website yet.
Same here, yet to see anything since his last podcast and fairly interested in him this year since he's the goat and all

Yep, games dont have a "point" is the common argument - well they certainly have more of a point that numerous other time sinks ladies stereotypical pour into (reality television, social media scrolling etc).

Haha I certainly cop this. I can't find much of an argument PRO the time I spend on fantasy. But its certainly enjoyable and gives way more enjoyment in any match of footy.

I'm also guilty of staring at my phone while watching football (trawling through bigfooty chats and fantasy live stats)... which leads to "you're not even watching the football!"

Haha I certainly cop this. I can't find much of an argument PRO the time I spend on fantasy. But its certainly enjoyable and gives way more enjoyment in any match of footy.

I'm also guilty of staring at my phone while watching football (trawling through bigfooty chats and fantasy live stats)... which leads to "you're not even watching the football!"
As a Crows supporter last weekend, was it wrong of me to barrack for Dangerfield as an owner ?

I didn't select a utility because i thought you didn't have to and I didn't get any points for round 1 LOL . such a dumb system , utility is just a waste of money
Holy hell - that sucks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone been able to access Selby's weekly support stuff yet?. I subscribed last week but haven't noticed a change to the website yet.

Selby's advice hasn't exactly been great this pre-season/Round 1, haha. Advised everyone to 'set and forget', chose De Goey and had a few other shockers too. I've got his guide, but I think he's not as reliable as he was in previous years, given the drastic changes in trends we're already starting to see

Selby's advice hasn't exactly been great this pre-season/Round 1, haha. Advised everyone to 'set and forget', chose De Goey and had a few other shockers too. I've got his guide, but I think he's not as reliable as he was in previous years, given the drastic changes in trends we're already starting to see

Agreed. I think he's good on the principles of playing Fantasy (ie not trading your premos, chasing under-priced improvers) rather than on specific players necessarily. Which is probably how it should be, would be very dull otherwise with everyone picking identical teams based on his advice.

Was pretty funny hearing how far wrong his non-fantasy predictions look at end of round 1...

Flag: Geelong
Spoon: Adelaide
Most improved: De Goey
Rising star: Rowell
Coleman: Jez Cameron

But with his fantasy advice, he was very upfront about how uncertain the ruck situation was. And also goes to show how good he is (or was??) at trading decisions during the season - and how it's much more important than just getting your starting side right.

Holy * this post should have come with a trigger warning.

I'm glad my wife has been getting into footy hardcore in the last few years because she used to complain how much I watched it while spending hours, and hours watching reality tv, and further hours listening to podcasts reviewing said reality tv.

Hey Guys,

First year our league is using AFL Fantasy Draft due to their changes.

Having major issues with the Free Agents and RFA setup, Can anyone please explain correctly how this works? or am I right in saying there is current issues?

My understanding is that after a round All players not in a team are restricted free agents and need to go through the waiver before before becoming free agents during the week and then can pick freely picked up.

What we've had happen, is at the end of a round teams have been able to pick up free agents for a brief amount of time. These teams have put in a free agent trade during the round and at the end of said round they get their player.

Surely this is a massive glitch and shouldn't happen.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues?

Hey Guys,

First year our league is using AFL Fantasy Draft due to their changes.

Having major issues with the Free Agents and RFA setup, Can anyone please explain correctly how this works? or am I right in saying there is current issues?

My understanding is that after a round All players not in a team are restricted free agents and need to go through the waiver before before becoming free agents during the week and then can pick freely picked up.

What we've had happen, is at the end of a round teams have been able to pick up free agents for a brief amount of time. These teams have put in a free agent trade during the round and at the end of said round they get their player.

Surely this is a massive glitch and shouldn't happen.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues?
That's how it should work but yep same thing happened in my league. I'm a commissioner and having heaps of issues with draft settings this year. It's a mess.

How do we go about predicting upcoming DPP additions? Wouldn’t mind getting in early on a ruck announcement
Here's the round 3 DPP additions for ultimate footy:

Apr 7Jack Ziebell NM - B,F Drop PlayerAdded B
Apr 7Jayden Laverde ES - B,F Named to PlayAdd PlayerAdded B
Apr 7Callum Mills SY - B,C Named to PlayPropose TradeAdded C
Apr 7Tim English WB - R,FPropose TradeAdded F
Apr 7Jayden Hunt ME - B,FDrop PlayerAdded B
Apr 7Tom Atkins GE - B,FAdd PlayerAdded B
Apr 7Shaun McKernan SK - R,FAdd PlayerAdded R
Apr 7Jacob Koschitzke HW - B,FAdd PlayerAdded F
Apr 7Jarman Impey HW - B,FPropose TradeAdded B
Apr 7Nick Hind ES - B,F Named to PlayPropose TradeAdded B
Apr 7Peter Wright ES - R,F Named to PlayAdd PlayerAdded R
Apr 7Errol Gulden SY - C,F Named to PlayPropose TradeAdded F
Apr 7Sean Lemmens GC - B,FAdd PlayerAdded B
Apr 7Kane Lambert RI - C,F Named to PlayPropose TradeAdded C
Apr 7Cale Hooker ES - B,F Named to PlayAdd PlayerAdded F

Is it possible to VC loophole Taranto who plays on Saturday and if I don’t want to take his double score can I move the C onto a player set to play on Sunday? Also Does it matter what day the game of the non playing player is on?
Thanks guys

Is it possible to VC loophole Taranto who plays on Saturday and if I don’t want to take his double score can I move the C onto a player set to play on Sunday? Also Does it matter what day the game of the non playing player is on?
Thanks guys
You won't be able to move the captain on/off your non-playing player if their team has already played. That locks them out - even if the player wasn't involved. So you need a non-playing player with a Sunday game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back