Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm guessing they have to leave West Lakes sooner than later and Thebarton is available now and ready to use.
Acquiring the land for a new headquarters will take time as will the new infrastructure. Buildings, training facilities and ovals have to be designed, established and built.
The parklands would meet future AFL requirements in terms of room for two ovals.
The proposed new club rooms/headquarters are close to the city near public transport i.e. the tram / train and roads.
The actual site mentioned is not subject to city council approvals.
As for training facilities on the parklands that is all up for negotiation.
Adelaide University has modest facilities on the parklands, SACA has a visible structure on it's ovals and the Soccer club on West terrace has newly built clubrooms.
As long as the club is not trying to build a Taj Mahal there are areas where such a facility could be placed on the parklands that blend into the surrounds such as near the train lines.

This idea needs to be thought through but on first glance it does make some sense.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm guessing they have to leave West Lakes sooner than later and Thebarton is available now and ready to use.
Acquiring the land for a new headquarters will take time as will the new infrastructure. Buildings, training facilities and ovals have to be designed, established and built.
The parklands would meet future AFL requirements in terms of room for two ovals.
The proposed new club rooms/headquarters are close to the city near public transport i.e. the tram / train and roads.
Adelaide University has modest facilities on the parklands, SACA has a visible structure on it's ovals and the Soccer club on West terrace has newly built clubrooms.
As long as the club is not trying to build a Taj Mahal there are areas where such a facility could be placed on the parklands that blend into the surrounds such as near the train lines.

This idea needs to be thought through but on first glance it does make some sense.

2 ovals isn't an AFL requirement.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
The most hypothetical question one could ever ask is incoming:

Theoretically, would there be enough space for a training oval behind AO, you know, if all those pesky tennis courts weren’t there?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

Our lease at West Lakes expires in 2047 or something like that...but the developers are keen on getting us out for more housing.

If we really wanted to be assholes we could hold the developers to that contract and wait until then to move, but I think the move to a new facility (hopefully not as basic bitch as the one Rucci is suggesting) will be mutually beneficial to both the club and the developers.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who is this document directed at?
If it's a best practice suggestion who recommended it?
I'm just a little hazy on some of these details.

Community developments. So if a community oval was going to get a huge grant and be re-developed with an eye to hosting games, the document sets out the gold standard. But as a club in the league, we won't be hosting games, we just do whatever we want. And whatever we do will likely be at least equal of SANFL grounds, so we'll have no dramas hosting the AFLW if we choose to.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

See where I’m going with this...

Memorial Drive is a complete waste of space for what it is. It’s a half-assed tennis arena (the worst-equipped major tennis arena in the country by far) on one of the most premium stretches of land in the entire city.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t be a tennis arena/facility. There should be - a proper one - somewhere else.

See where I’m going with this...

Memorial Drive is a complete waste of space for what it is. It’s a half-assed tennis arena (the worst-equipped major tennis arena in the country by far) on one of the most premium stretches of land in the entire city.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t be a tennis arena/facility. There should be - a proper one - somewhere else.

No, it's excellently placed with connections to public transport and the city, and as part of a work in progress sports and entertainment precinct. They just need to provide the money to fund the rest of the upgrade, instead of this hilariously inept state government's plan to just pay for a cheap pergola over the decaying Memorial Drive, while spending an exorbitant $700m on a 15k seater' over the river that might be a tennis court, might be a concert stadium, might be an extension of the Convention Centre, but won't really be all that useful for anyone.

We're not getting a HQ next to Adelaide Oval, it will be blocked by the council with no recourse, let it go.

With the development of Karen Rolton Oval, the best thing they could do with Adelaide Oval 2 now is convert it (minus the chunk needed to develop the drop in pitches) back into grassed parklands, that can continue to be fenced off temporarily for matchday greens during the summer.

Last edited:

Jerome

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Centrals
In case you can't get over the Advertiser paywall this morning...

Crows Secret New Site
The Advertiser April 8, 2021

The Adelaide Crows want to use plans developed for its $60 m HQ at the Aquatic Centre on another site near the City.

Chairman John Olsen has confirmed the club is holding negotiations over a fifth possible location while continuing to investigate using Thebarton Oval as its new home.

He would not disclose details of the latest site.

Mr Olsen said the Crows proposed fifth site could not be disclosed because talks involved multiple parties.

"I prefer not to say where it is as a number of discussions are happening."

Olsen updated Crows members at a function before the Crows V Suns game last Friday night. This included briefing them about discussions with West Torrens Council regarding Thebarton Oval.

"There is a way to go with both sites."

"A lot of the work that was done for North Adelaide has been modified for a different site."

"Thebarton Oval is a work in progress. The other site is also a serious contender. we're working through the two options."

"There are a number of impediments and we need to go through a number of steps before anything is put in place. These things take time."

Article states the Adelaide Council rejected our plans to use the former SA Water depot on the corner of James Langdon Drive& Port Road for our new HQ.

Mr Olsen said the club has ruled out any move to build within the parklands, opting instead to focus on Thebarton Oval and the site identified by its consultants.

"There have been a number of sites we have been looking at, a dozen or so. We are working our way through the key points of what we need in the facility we want to build." Mr Olsen said any new facility had to include opportunities for the club to generate revenue such as commercial leases, have hospitality areas for members, feature a museum and be close to public transport. It also required indoor and outdoor training facilities, a pool, gym and sports medicine facilities.

A Federal grant of $15m towards the new build was not contingent on any deadlines he wanted to have a location chosen by the end of June. "We are keeping the Federal Government updated on what we are doing." Mr Olsen said we had to "make sure we get this absolutley right for the club, our players and our members."

Article speculates on sites such as the Wayville Showgrounds, Coca Cola and West End Brewery sites on Port Road. I thought Olsen had ruled all three out. It also mentions the old Le Cornu site at Forestville, which I believe the SA Government has brought.

With State and Federal elections 12 months away I wonder if our plans are tied in to election announcements.

flashcrow

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#weflyasone
In case you can't get over the Advertiser paywall this morning...

Crows Secret New Site
The Advertiser April 8, 2021

The Adelaide Crows want to use plans developed for its $60 m HQ at the Aquatic Centre on another site near the City.

Chairman John Olsen has confirmed the club is holding negotiations over a fifth possible location while continuing to investigate using Thebarton Oval as its new home.

He would not disclose details of the latest site.

Mr Olsen said the Crows proposed fifth site could not be disclosed because talks involved multiple parties.

"I prefer not to say where it is as a number of discussions are happening."

Olsen updated Crows members at a function before the Crows V Suns game last Friday night. This included briefing them about discussions with West Torrens Council regarding Thebarton Oval.

"There is a way to go with both sites."

"A lot of the work that was done for North Adelaide has been modified for a different site."

"Thebarton Oval is a work in progress. The other site is also a serious contender. we're working through the two options."

"There are a number of impediments and we need to go through a number of steps before anything is put in place. These things take time."

Article states the Adelaide Council rejected our plans to use the former SA Water depot on the corner of James Langdon Drive& Port Road for our new HQ.

Mr Olsen said the club has ruled out any move to build within the parklands, opting instead to focus on Thebarton Oval and the site identified by its consultants.

"There have been a number of sites we have been looking at, a dozen or so. We are working our way through the key points of what we need in the facility we want to build." Mr Olsen said any new facility had to include opportunities for the club to generate revenue such as commercial leases, have hospitality areas for members, feature a museum and be close to public transport. It also required indoor and outdoor training facilities, a pool, gym and sports medicine facilities.

A Federal grant of $15m towards the new build was not contingent on any deadlines he wanted to have a location chosen by the end of June. "We are keeping the Federal Government updated on what we are doing." Mr Olsen said we had to "make sure we get this absolutley right for the club, our players and our members."

Article speculates on sites such as the Wayville Showgrounds, Coca Cola and West End Brewery sites on Port Road. I thought Olsen had ruled all three out. It also mentions the old Le Cornu site at Forestville, which I believe the SA Government has brought.

With State and Federal elections 12 months away I wonder if our plans are tied in to election announcements.

Le Crows

le crows.PNG

Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really like the suggestion or rumor David Penberthy said on 5AA this morning.

He said, he had heard the idea about the Crows coexisting with North Adelaide at Prospect Oval and possibly building something on an old car yard site located on the Main North Road.

I think the idea has merit, except I don’t think we should look at coexisting with an SANFL club, but what about an amateur club close to the city?

we could coexist by upgrading and then using half the boundary to build something, as well as place the top up players in that team. Or use that team as a recruitment key for future SANFL top up players.

This would ideally give the Adelaide Crows 2 AFL teams, an SANFL team and an Amateur team on our books all based under the one ceiling on Crows HQ.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

He said, he had heard the idea about the Crows coexisting with North Adelaide at Prospect Oval and possibly building something on an old car yard site located on the Main North Road.

I think the idea has merit, except I don’t think we should look at coexisting with an SANFL club, but what about an amateur club close to the city?

we could coexist by upgrading and then using half the boundary to build something, as well as place the top up players in that team. Or use that team as a recruitment key for future SANFL top up players.

This would ideally give the Adelaide Crows 2 AFL teams, an SANFL team and an Amateur team on our books all based under the one ceiling on Crows HQ.

I think we have looked at all SANFL grounds. I don't think Prospect would be viable, while it might not be a set standard, we need two ovals and space. That won't work at Prospect.

Woodville - Lol
Unley - Lol
Norwood - Lol
Glenelg - Would upset too many locals by taking away tennis courts
Richmond - Would only work if a perfect storm hit and made all the companies in the retail shops out the back on South Rd insolvent
Nourlunga - Works, but defeats the purpose due to crap location
Elizabeth Oval - Works, but probably a little cramped unless you encroach too close to the outer boundary
Alberton - Would be near impossible to have two clubs share 1 oval and co-existing training wise

Prospect - Might actually work if they can buy the land that Chrysller/Jeep/Dodge is on Main North Road
Getting that 1 company to vacate would be a whole lot easier than the perfect storm you'd require at Richmond.
The issue would be the same issue North currently have. The Prospect Cricket Club.
The location to build the facilities would be where the practice nets are. ANd whereelse there do you move them? i dont think there is a spot.

Could Olsen get gauruntees from state government that if we built at Prospect, that the State government would build the Prospect Cricket Club brand new facilities at Broadview Oval?
Cause that'd probably be what stands most in the way.

I actually MUCH prefer this suggestion than Thebby.

Doing anything at Thebby would require either 1. Taking away considerable community space, or 2. Destroying the current facilities and make it not worth using for AFLw/potential ressies.
On the outer at Prospect would probably cost more than building on the community space at the North of Thebby. However, it wouldn't destroy anything fan wise and allow womens to move there (if they can **** off the Prospect Cricket Club)

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Woodville - Lol
Unley - Lol
Norwood - Lol
Glenelg - Would upset too many locals by taking away tennis courts
Richmond - Would only work if a perfect storm hit and made all the companies in the retail shops out the back on South Rd insolvent
Nourlunga - Works, but defeats the purpose due to crap location
Elizabeth Oval - Works, but probably a little cramped unless you encroach too close to the outer boundary
Alberton - Would be near impossible to have two clubs share 1 oval and co-existing training wise

Prospect - Might actually work if they can buy the land that Chrysller/Jeep/Dodge is on Main North Road
Getting that 1 company to vacate would be a whole lot easier than the perfect storm you'd require at Richmond.
The issue would be the same issue North currently have. The Prospect Cricket Club.
The location to build the facilities would be where the practice nets are. ANd whereelse there do you move them? i dont think there is a spot.

Could Olsen get gauruntees from state government that if we built at Prospect, that the State government would build the Prospect Cricket Club brand new facilities at Broadview Oval?
Cause that'd probably be what stands most in the way.

I actually MUCH prefer this suggestion than Thebby.

Doing anything at Thebby would require either 1. Taking away considerable community space, or 2. Destroying the current facilities and make it not worth using for AFLw/potential ressies.
On the outer at Prospect would probably cost more than building on the community space at the North of Thebby. However, it wouldn't destroy anything fan wise and allow womens to move there (if they can **** off the Prospect Cricket Club)

It won't happen at Prospect for a number of reasons you mention. I think Richmond could work but it would basically be a fresh build as you say. In the end none of them offer a great location either so none excite me too much.

I get Thebby has a bit to offer but it just doesn't excite me much and with the South Road works it makes it even less appealing.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Old news, I came up with this idea years ago.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
This is precisely what some of us have been saying. Going to Thebarton, we'd be moving from one suburban building site that's nearly finished to another that's just beginning.

If we move it should be to a central location that's not a building site for years on end.
Unfortunately I don't think there's any "perfect" site and there will have to be compromises made somewhere. Given the conservative nature of Adelaide in general it'll be like pushing s**t up hill to get anywhere with this sort of thing without dramatically altering what it should be.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any "perfect" site and there will have to be compromises made somewhere. Given the conservative nature of Adelaide in general it'll be like pushing sh*t up hill to get anywhere with this sort of thing without dramatically altering what it should be.
I think there's 1 absolutely perfect site.

University Oval

In 2020 there were changes with community sport setup in that area of the parklands.
Park 12 gained a footy field at the expense of 2 soccer pitches
While Park 10 gained 2 soccer pitches at the expense of a footy field

You have that setup now of 2 footy field right next to each other.

Get in cahoots with University Football club.
Build the facilities basically on the corner of Frome-War Memorial

But you are right, the city is extremely conservative. Will stop just about everything.

Or could the club push for park 16 and sell it "By letting us build here it means our presence blocks the superloop 500 returning, so even though it is a permanent presence, it's a smaller disruption than the racetrack would be when building and dismantling the stands for half the year"

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think there's 1 absolutely perfect site.

University Oval

In 2020 there were changes with community sport setup in that area of the parklands.
Park 12 gained a footy field at the expense of 2 soccer pitches
While Park 10 gained 2 soccer pitches at the expense of a footy field

You have that setup now of 2 footy field right next to each other.

Get in cahoots with University Football club.
Build the facilities basically on the corner of Frome-War Memorial

But you are right, the city is extremely conservative. Will stop just about everything.

Or could the club push for park 16 and sell it "By letting us build here it means our presence blocks the superloop 500 returning, so even though it is a permanent presence, it's a smaller disruption than the racetrack would be when building and dismantling the stands for half the year"
Getting University Oval is never going to happen in a million years.

And the parklands society blocked a permanent fixture around Vic Park, they're not going to let us build there.

I'm glad we aren't rushing into things though.

Back