NO TROLLS Should AFL players bend the knee before each match in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez mate,

You are just itching to find racism at every turn. Please, “Asians getting our jobs?” I don’t remember that being stated at all during the last election. It a disgrace that you would label blue collar workers collective as racists or bigots. Maybe, the left majority parties should start looking after their traditional base, rather than selling them out?

“Murdoch media”? The whole of MSM is controlled in the states and the UK. I give you a tip, majority of it isn’t pushing a conservative agenda. Did you not read the recent report Murdoch control of MSM in Aus?

Big tech via Search engines, social Media and other online media censor and influence political perspectives to a much larger extent. It’s a disgrace and dangerous.

This might be the single dumbest take I've seen. Literally pick up a major newspaper or watch a single second of FOX News/Sky News. The right push their ideologies. And it is happening on the major network morning shows here as well, Samantha Armytage was leading the way for that crap.

Er, no it has nothing to do with race, it has to do with unfair wages. Not many NZers/pommies will come to aus and work for peanuts, yet people from """"poorer"""" countries will, driving wages down and causing financial instability in an entire existing class. If you replaced, lets say, indian and chinese migrants with eastern europeans you would still have the same problems.

Yes, blame the employee for this. Not the employer who is willing to pay people peanuts. Sure.

Keep the politics out of footy pls

Okay if you want politics out of footy, how about we remove gambling?

This might be the single dumbest take I've seen. Literally pick up a major newspaper or watch a single second of FOX News/Sky News. The right push their ideologies. And it is happening on the major network morning shows here as well, Samantha Armytage was leading the way for that crap.

Yes, blame the employee for this. Not the employer who is willing to pay people peanuts. Sure.

Okay if you want politics out of footy, how about we remove gambling?

Fox and NewsCorp stand out because they promote opinions that differ to ABC, Fairfax, MSNBC, CBS etc.

Fox is right wing, but they do at least have left wing people on shows. You do get both views - but the right is dominant. The difference with CNN etc is you never get the opposing view - it is solely left talking points.

Like being free to kneel, people are free to watch what they want and what we need to stop is this outrage/cancel culture from both sides. If a player kneels for two minutes who cares?

Why do you think that is?
I am made deeply uncomfortable by the fact that increasingly the norm is disparate from my own views and thinking. To be unable to relate on this fundamental level to fellow human beings would be deeply uncomfortable for anyone.

I cannot fathom how, in Britain, the death of a felon who overdosed on deadly drugs and dies in police custody after failing to comply with simple requests can trigger mass rioting and protests on account of his race. I do understand there is an issue with the rate at which African Americans are incarcerated, however I cannot understand what that has to do with Britain. I cannot understand how British athletes can kneel in support of an organisation which advocate for the destruction of fundamental values and tarnish British history and heroes (i.e. by tearing down statues of Winston Churchill). I cannot understand that the kneel for an issue in another country but ignore much, much larger issues such as world hunger, poverty, war, dictatorships and even a genocide in China.

It made me uncomfortable when the AFL players did it too, because I don't understand why they choose that issue above all else, and because I know some players wouldn't want to but were effectively forced.

No,. Thats just called pandering. And we need to be stronger and better than that. it ABSOLUTELY can just be for what it is , sport. Leave the rest to imbeciles arguing and virtue signaling on soical media. Where the rest of of us can ignore all the constant look at me virtue bullshit.
Righto, no Australian anthem at the footy at all then. My dual citizenship says that is not about sport.

I am made deeply uncomfortable by the fact that increasingly the norm is disparate from my own views and thinking. To be unable to relate on this fundamental level to fellow human beings would be deeply uncomfortable for anyone.

I cannot fathom how, in Britain, the death of a felon who overdosed on deadly drugs and dies in police custody after failing to comply with simple requests can trigger mass rioting and protests on account of his race. I do understand there is an issue with the rate at which African Americans are incarcerated, however I cannot understand what that has to do with Britain. I cannot understand how British athletes can kneel in support of an organisation which advocate for the destruction of fundamental values and tarnish British history and heroes (i.e. by tearing down statues of Winston Churchill). I cannot understand that the kneel for an issue in another country but ignore much, much larger issues such as world hunger, poverty, war, dictatorships and even a genocide in China.

It made me uncomfortable when the AFL players did it too, because I don't understand why they choose that issue above all else, and because I know some players wouldn't want to but were effectively forced.

Doesn’t individual choice override though

If you believe we are a free country, if a player has earned the right to take the field, don’t they have the right to take a knee? It doesn’t interfere with the game. It represents their own view. You don’t have to agree with it.

I am sure Chief would support a BigFooty employee putting a Trump picture in their office at work - freedom of expression right Chiefy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn’t individual choice override though

If you believe we are a free country, if a player has earned the right to take the field, don’t they have the right to take a knee? It doesn’t interfere with the game. It represents their own view. You don’t have to agree with it.
But that has little to do with my comfort, does it?

My point is that if you want to remove something that you deem detrimental to the sport, then we should remove gambling as well.
It'd be great if the advertising was regulated, especially during games. It's out of control.
However, there's a whole debate there and I'm not sure whether a total ban is appropriate.

Regarding the footy, players can essentially do whatever they want within reason without compromising the code, but I'm not a fan of politics taking centre stage. Perhaps my initial post was a bit contrived.

It has created a generation of gambling addicts. But politics won't do that.

You said it was detrimental to sport. That is factually incorrect.

I don’t think it has created a generation of addicts. Australians have always been huge gamblers. It just made it easier

When people say they want politics out of sport, they simply mean politics they don’t like. If I may make a generalisation, a majority of people opposed to players taking a knee would lose their s**t if the AFL was told to drop Anzac Day. There would be cries of censorship, cancel culture etc. But the very nature of Anzac Day and how it relates to our history is political.

Politics is life, life is politics, you can’t separate it from anything.

This is accurate. An ordinary act to one person may be considered a politically-motivated act to another. And in sports, simple sporting competitions can take on whole new levels of political importance when you have country vs. country, or events that are billed as such.

Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics, Joe Louis knocking out Max Schmeling, and the Americans beating the Soviets in 1980 Olympic hockey all had huge political implications without being politically-motivated. Should the US have kept Owens at home so as not to tarnish Hitler's showcase event?

And at least here in America, the NFL and Nascar have no problem inserting politically-motivated messages (pregame flyovers, all the tearful made-for-TV welcome-home moments, enlistment ceremonies at halftime, ads for candidates on Nascar cars) pretty overtly. But then those same people lauding that completely flip their s**t when someone takes a knee for their political cause.

I don't really give a * but at the same time it kind of annoys me, Not sure why. Maybe im a closet racist :eek:

When people say they want politics out of sport, they simply mean politics they don’t like. If I may make a generalisation, a majority of people opposed to players taking a knee would lose their sh*t if the AFL was told to drop Anzac Day. There would be cries of censorship, cancel culture etc. But the very nature of Anzac Day and how it relates to our history is political.

Anzac Day is not political.

If you think it is, you need to spend some time with some of our returned soldiers, listen to their experiences and understand the impact it has had on them and their families.

Last week I spent 3 days trying to get government help for an ex-soldier whose job it was to recover, put together and identify body parts of people killed in Timor by Indonesia. The impact on him, his children and his wife would bring the manliest bloke to tears. Yet we do very little for these people who give everything up.

Politicians choose what wars we fight - argue with them the politics. Anzac Day is about honouring our soldiers, some of whom are the reason you and I can even have this debate on a message board.

Equating it with this kneeling nonsense isn’t just wrong, it’s disrespectful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back