Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
We did give it up. We just couldn’t unwind employment contracts in the timeframe they insisted on. It was that simple.

And the cost of living is a matter of mathematical fact. As a factor it is diminished now to what it was as the TPP has increased but it remains a real issue, particularly with the soft cap. The dollar doesn’t go as far in Sydney as it does in Melbourne, and every measurement points to that.
I agree with the footy department there should be extra money made available. A lot of people who are employees at AFL clubs are on bullshit money.

We did give it up. We just couldn’t unwind employment contracts in the timeframe they insisted on. It was that simple.

And the cost of living is a matter of mathematical fact. As a factor it is diminished now to what it was as the TPP has increased but it remains a real issue, particularly with the soft cap. The dollar doesn’t go as far in Sydney as it does in Melbourne, and every measurement points to that.
Cost of living is also lower in Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth compared to Melbourne so Melbourne based clubs should get more then them as well I guess

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cost of living is also lower in Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth compared to Melbourne so Melbourne based clubs should get more then them as well I guess
Exactly, one of the reasons Tassie keeps getting delayed is they worry about their ability to maintain and keep talent but the cost of living is even lower there

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
To say everyone 'benefits' from f/s is utter garbage. Ex players can have daughters you know? They can also have sons who have no interest in footy. Clubs can gain a massive advantage from f/s if they so happen to be lucky enough to have a goldmine of father sons whilst others have 0. So how that is in any way equal in that thick head of yours is actually a laugh.

I suppose the main difference is that one has a large element of luck (as you mention above). There is no planning for who will have a son that is talented enough to be afl quality let alone one at the top of the draft. If you bet on a coin toss, someone is going to get heads and some will get tails, hell you might even flip it 15 times and never win... but it is still fair, thats just how luck will have it.

The other is a calculated one that you would have percentages of if you develop x amount of kids you will generate x amount of footballers capable of playing the game. One is measurable, one is not. Sure still a little bit of luck to get the very top end of talent, but the %'s are still there or Sydney wouldn't bother.

Essentially every team has the "chance" to benefit (admittedly GWS and GC not as much Yet), where as with the academies only a selected few can definitely benefit.

In terms of what good does the FS do. It is a good thing for the Father that has sacrificed themselves for their team ( i had a lengthy post outlining this in detail a few pages back). Football is sold as a narrative, FS add to the narratives for fans.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suppose the main difference is that one has a large element of luck (as you mention above). There is no planning for who will have a son that is talented enough to be afl quality let alone one at the top of the draft. If you bet on a coin toss, someone is going to get heads and some will get tails, hell you might even flip it 15 times and never win... but it is still fair, thats just how luck will have it.

The other is a calculated one that you would have percentages of if you develop x amount of kids you will generate x amount of footballers capable of playing the game. One is measurable, one is not. Sure still a little bit of luck to get the very top end of talent, but the %'s are still there or Sydney wouldn't bother.

Essentially every team has the "chance" to benefit (admittedly GWS and GC not as much Yet), where as with the academies only a selected few can definitely benefit.

In terms of what good does the FS do. It is a good thing for the Father that has sacrificed themselves for their team ( i had a lengthy post outlining this in detail a few pages back). Football is sold as a narrative, FS add to the narratives for fans.
Don’t waste your time he has admitted to being a troll

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Possibly. But I’m not arguing for it’s continuation, certainly not for the top end players. I’m arguing for its justification when it was in place.

Geelong should have half the cap.😉

Possibly. But I’m not arguing for it’s continuation, certainly not for the top end players. I’m arguing for its justification when it was in place.

Geelong should have half the cap.😉

They should certainly be audited. The ATO could look at a selection of players.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United

And what good do the academies do? Equalsation for every other benefit VIC clubs have over us. It's fair, and the fact that it exists proves it.

And with the whole narrative thing. That means the AFL is rolling the dice where a team can end up massive winners with f/s and others don't get a sniff for what? A narrative? Is that it? That's a bit of a wild spanner in the works if you ask me and asking for trouble. Atleast you know what you're getting with the academies, and the reason why it has been implemented is clear and logical.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well at least if we lose this people will stop sooking about the academies for at least a week. ******* morons 😂
Nobody will ever respect the Sydney Swans while they continue to play by different rules to everyone else and receive leg-ups from the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Page8383

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Neither was Florent.
But it’s not the point.
Having first refusal on a large demographic of players is an advantage. You can get all defensive about it but it’s undeniable.
The fact that club sponsors have invested in it is a side issue. It’s an issue of opportunity not money. Club posted a $6 mill loss last year but put money into academies. That’s fine - anyone would do that if they could. But not everyone can because they don’t have the opportunity.
And the father / son thing is irrelevant as it’s the same rules for all clubs and how they are bid for.
Don’t understand the defensiveness on the issue. Just go “yeah, we’re lucky and making the most of it”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm just glad we have Heeney, Mills and Gulden to cover for the horror that was watching Foote, Jack, Robinson, Hiscox, Davis, Naismith and all the other spuds we were fortunate enough to grow in our backyard.

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
And what good do the academies do? Equalsation for every other benefit VIC clubs have over us. It's fair, and the fact that it exists proves it.

And with the whole narrative thing. That means the AFL is rolling the dice where a team can end up massive winners with f/s and others don't get a sniff for what? A narrative? Is that it? That's a bit of a wild spanner in the works if you ask me and asking for trouble. Atleast you know what you're getting with the academies, and the reason why it has been implemented is clear and logical.
What about the SA and WA teams? Do we just need to invent our own advantages?

Just because something exists and is implemented doesn’t mean it’s fair. Look at the grand final being at the G for the next 50 years as an example, or the fact that Geelong can’t play their finals at the cattery when playing a Melbourne team. Or that Nic Nat gets paid ambassador fees.

Narratives are why the majority of supporters watch football.It is the only form of entertainment where we don’t know how the story ends.

Very few clubs have benefitted several times in a short space of time with this initiative (unlike an academy). The randomness or the fact that a roll of the dice means that it is much more fair. Just like the randomness of players doing acls mid game, or getting draft bargains/duds or players having their careers ended through serious injuries.

The fact that one is so calculated and can only end in advantage for a handful of clubs is exactly why it needs to be addressed.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
So we don’t get the kids we want and put the resources into...why would we plonk millions of dollars into a programme to get a second rounder talent at best

Don't do it then. No one is forcing you to. WC and Freo pay royalties to the WAFC who administer footy in WA. I don't see you complaining about having Warner, McDonald and Franklin on your list.

I keep hearing how big an advantage it is to have 50-100 Victorian players playing in NSW/Qld each year for 10 clubs to poach. Is having more and more NSW/Qld players playing in Vic/SA/WA not also an advantage? Every time a player in Victoria requests a trade to WA, SA, Qld or NSW and nominates one club (out of the 2 available per state) people lose their s**t.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Please enlighten me. You're yet to answer any of my questions. Please for the love of God tell me how f/s is a fair and equal system. Answer it logically and you win

F/S is not a fair and equitable system, but it's not designed to be. With or without bidding there is no way of knowing who it will benefit.

West Coast had arguably the team of the 90s. We have 18 x 100 gamers over the age of 50 for a net return to date of Jacob Brennan, and Jake and Alec Waterman. Michael Tuck played 426 games, Travis played 38. Francis Bourke was a superstar, David a whipping boy. Russell Ebert is an immortal of SA football, Brett was a solid player but best remembered for his massive bonce. Who looked at Brian Brown and Andrew McGovern (the latter not eligible) and said their sons would be star key position players? Even Gary Ablett Sr who had a superstar son also had Nathan. Collingwood had to take the two dud Clokes to get Travis.

Would you rather have access to the sons or former WC players, or any junior athlete in WA?

Back