Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if they are, but they absolutely should. The first part of the draft should to be uncompromised or as close to as possible. Perhaps a mid first round pick for elite FA's is reasonable because clubs are probably accepting of having pick 11 being pushed back to pick 12, but picks 1-10 should be untouchable. The idea of a club pushing out a FA to gain a high end compo pick at the expense of other struggling clubs seems like a flaw in the system. Having said that at least Merrett is a genuine A grade player, which beats the same conversation we were having all last year about Brad Crouch, which was just ludicrous, and thankfully sanity prevailed.
If that's going to be the case, then teams finishing bottom 10 should have their Band 1 FA's off the table.
It would kill their rebuilds otherwise.

We would have lost Merrett (elite mid) & Daniher (elite KPF) for 2x Pick 11s.
Luke Pedlar, Sam Flanders, Wayne Milera, Oliver Florent, Aiden Bonar, Jye Caldwell are some of the recent pick 11's.

No 2 players on that list would equate to either Daniher or Merrett, let alone both of them.

The way to fix the system is to deduct the draft points of the FA Compensation pick from the buying club.
i.e. Lions lose Pick 15 and have 16 slide back in the draft for the cost of acquiring Daniher.
Essendon get pick 7 (impacting all clubs with picks after that in the first round), but the Lions losing 15 and 16 sliding back benefits the rest of the comp.

Sounds like he needs to stay in Melbourne to take care of his mum, and unless there's another Vic club pushing and can offer close to what Essendon will is there any real point? Still only 25, durable, and if Essendon's rebuild isn't prolonged he might be playing finals in a few years anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond move on some older players to have a crack though.
Wasn't aware of his mums condition. If she's in Cobden the cats might actually be a good fit. Should have plenty of cap with retirements, Selwood shaped midfield hole imminent, still get a couple of more years out of some of our older brigade, short drive to see the fam, could even live on a farm like Hawkins.

He'll have a bit to consider I guess

Wasn't aware of his mums condition. If she's in Cobden the cats might actually be a good fit. Should have plenty of cap with retirements, Selwood shaped midfield hole imminent, still get a couple of more years out of some of our older brigade, short drive to see the fam, could even live on a farm like Hawkins.

He'll have a bit to consider I guess
yeah, well we have.......a better jumper.
so there's that :p

Cats and Pies would be chances
But i'm starting to believe he'll stay and wind up captaining the club.
With the exception of 1 quarter this year, we haven't looked the basket case i assumed we'd be.

Zach is back in his best role. We aren't doing stupid things with positions and selections.
With the exception of a storm in a teacup re: where Rutten sits during a game, we've largely not embarrassed ourselves this year (yet).

How damaging are they? I don’t look at stats I look at how good the player is, how much influence he has etc. As I said he’s a very good player but not elite for me. For $900k a year I’d want very close to elite.
Maybe he’s just been very average when he’s played us as that’s when I would have watched him more closely.
Merrett is elite. Merrett and Ridley are probably our only elite players at the moment. With where the game is headed, elite ball users are going to be worth a lot and Merrett is one of the best kicks in the game.

How he plays against Bulldogs doesn't determine how good he is though especially considering we get smashed everywhere when we play you guys. Bulldogs is the only side he's never polled a brownlow vote against.

It's like me saying Bont and Cripps are not elite because they don't play well against Essendon.
Before the outrage, we're the only side both Bont and Cripps average less than 20 disposals against. We're also the only side Bont has never polled a brownlow vote against.

All 3 players are still elite though.

Merrett is elite. Merrett and Ridley are probably our only elite players at the moment. With where the game is headed, elite ball users are going to be worth a lot and Merrett is one of the best kicks in the game.

How he plays against Bulldogs doesn't determine how good he is though especially considering we get smashed everywhere when we play you guys. Bulldogs is the only side he's never polled a brownlow vote against.

It's like me saying Bont and Cripps are not elite because they don't play well against Essendon.
Before the outrage, we're the only side both Bont and Cripps average less than 20 disposals against. We're also the only side Bont has never polled a brownlow vote against.

All 3 players are still elite though.
Watching the Roos v Dogs game on the weekend. im starting to think Bont assesses whether his services are needed or not.
If the Dogs have it in the bag, he cruises through.

Cripps "sacrifices" his game against us....seems to bloody work though

Zach Merrett if he wanted to move interstate he would really fit in well with the WCE game plan, play style.
Playing at Optus would suit him as well.

Zach Merrett if he wanted to move interstate he would really fit in well with the WCE game plan, play style.
Playing at Optus would suit him as well.

WCE would be almost rock bottom for teams that are a realistic destination for Merrett.

Their players have publicly taken pay cuts across the board to keep the group together due to salary cap / COVID implications. Would be impossible to sell to players or realistic fans that they have to tip one or two good players out, which they would need to do to get ZM, especially after acquiring Kelly for big cost.

5000/1 chance.

Have thought about this a bit more, and actually really do hope that he stays, as he's exactly what Essendon needs as a club moving forward. Would love him at Geelong - on my wish list of players -, but, not at the expense of robbing his current club of their possible future captain/culturally impacting their development.

Merrett to me is like Cripps to Carlton, Bont to Essendon, Selwood to Geelong, Shuey to WC, Pendles to Collingwood, Dusty to Tiges etc.etc. He's their talisman, and it'll set the club a back a long time if he does leave.

I'm inclined to think that he doesn't go now, given how he's been playing, the clean out of Worsfold and those linked to the supplement saga and the spark and flair the young Essendon side is showing already. Reckon he re-signs mid year or so, and it'll be better for the comp as a whole :)

Have thought about this a bit more, and actually really do hope that he stays, as he's exactly what Essendon needs as a club moving forward. Would love him at Geelong - on my wish list of players -, but, not at the expense of robbing his current club of their possible future captain/culturally impacting their development.

Merrett to me is like Cripps to Carlton,
Bont to Essendon, Selwood to Geelong, Shuey to WC, Pendles to Collingwood, Dusty to Tiges etc.etc. He's their talisman, and it'll set the club a back a long time if he does leave.

I'm inclined to think that he doesn't go now, given how he's been playing, the clean out of Worsfold and those linked to the supplement saga and the spark and flair the young Essendon side is showing already. Reckon he re-signs mid year or so, and it'll be better for the comp as a whole :)
My new favourite poster :p

I don't think i can handle Zach leaving. Wanganeen was hard enough.
This will be like that.

My new favourite poster :p

I don't think i can handle Zach leaving. Wanganeen was hard enough.
This will be like that.

Wanganeen came home. Essendon were only ever renting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take the goggles off.
Yes, you really should. Merrett is a far more damaging player than Macrae. Look at those who are disagreeing with me. People who hate Essendon by admission and/or Dogs fans.

Yes, you really should. Merrett is a far more damaging player than Macrae. Look at those who are disagreeing with me. People who hate Essendon by admission and/or Dogs fans.
I would be pretty sure that the Bulldogs would not entertain any thought of getting Merrett if it meant losing Macrae.

Macrae is seriously under rated,

You clearly haven’t watched Macrae over the last 2.5 years. A much different player to the original stat padding winger he once was. Is a 2xAA (last two years, not 1 time four years ago) for a reason.

nah, he's garbage.
Best you all avoid. We'll spare you the misery.

5 years for Zachy please.

Who said he was garbage? Merrett is actually one of my favourite midfielders. Brilliant ball user and hard as nails. Will look awesome in Navy Blue come next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back