Injury 2021 Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updates on Menegola, Simpson, Ratugolea, Stephens, Cameron, Higgins and Evans...

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Updates on Menegola, Simpson, Ratugolea, Stephens, Cameron, Higgins and Evans...

The fact that Cameron wasn’t even able to train today and was sitting in the stands watching on was not a good sign for playing in Rd 5

somebody reported that he had a further setback last Friday. You’d think if that wasn’t the case he’d be at least running laps today

worrying signs. Unfortunately for us supporters we have heard this “he’s close but we are being ultra cautious” tune many many times over the last decade. It’s the usual classic diversion.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
The fact that Cameron wasn’t even able to train today and was sitting in the stands watching on was not a good sign for playing in Rd 5

somebody reported that he had a further setback last Friday. You’d think if that wasn’t the case he’d be at least running laps today

worrying signs. Unfortunately for us supporters we have heard this “he’s close but we are being ultra cautious” tune many many times over the last decade. It’s the usual classic diversion.

Our new 'Cocky'?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
God we have such sh*t medicos...I'm so sick of this always happening. How many times do we have to hear 'oh there was something unexpected that came up that we didn't see on first scan.' I cannot actually remember the last time we were like 'player x will miss x weeks' and then they were just back within that timeframe. Seems to happen with so many other clubs, but never with us when it comes to any sort of injury.

If Cameron doesn't play next week, and he's had another setback, that is a serious f*cking problem. I am so livid right now.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
God we have such sh*t medicos...I'm so sick of this always happening. How many times do we have to hear 'oh there was something unexpected that came up that we didn't see on first scan.' I cannot actually remember the last time we were like 'player x will miss x weeks' and then they were just back within that timeframe. Seems to happen with so many other clubs, but never with us when it comes to any sort of injury.

If Cameron doesn't play next week, and he's had another setback, that is a serious f*cking problem. I am so livid right now.

Well, he isn't young, so injuries can be more frequent and prolonged......

I would've thought a thorough physical prior to trading him would've revealed the suspected scar tissue on his hammy though. It seems that's been a surprise to them.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Haven't we essentially had a full or close to full turnover of medical staff at the club

New staff, same old problems. If we didn't do our due diligence before we got Cameron, I'll be ropeable.

Not an auspicious start with Rata and Cameron, if so.
Not sure what the medical staff have to do with Ratugolea's injury -

“It’s a bit of bad luck for Esava, he got a kick at training on his lower leg where he’d previously had a fracture in his fibula,” Scott said.
“(He) had it scanned multiple times and nothing came up so we were optimistic we could get him back in a week or two, but it sort of persisted a bit and we rescanned it again and the fracture’s shown up.

How can medical staff be blamed if nothing comes up on a scan; can't exactly treat an injury when there's no known injury

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure what the medical staff have to do with Ratugolea's injury -

“It’s a bit of bad luck for Esava, he got a kick at training on his lower leg where he’d previously had a fracture in his fibula,” Scott said.
“(He) had it scanned multiple times and nothing came up so we were optimistic we could get him back in a week or two, but it sort of persisted a bit and we rescanned it again and the fracture’s shown up.

How can medical staff be blamed if nothing comes up on a scan; can't exactly treat an injury when there's no known injury

I was being a little cheeky...... Printed words don't always convey tone or humour.

On the other hand, there'd be some concern behind the club's doors about Cameron.

I was being a little cheeky...... Printed words don't always convey tone or humour.

On the other hand, there'd be some concern behind the club's doors about Cameron.
Cheers

I'm more concerned with what's happening with Cameron

dangerwood

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

Right? How's Heppell? Bad news for bombers fans blah blah blah, ......oh he came good early, ready to go.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
I'm not sure I'll be able to back the Cats staff on this one, if they literally have thrown away a quarter of our season due to mismanaging his loads coming back. Coupled with Higgins, Evan, Stephens, Ratugolea etc. this is starting to get very bad - and it's only Round 4.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Yep.......proceedings are a little more concerning if he didn't participate in training today, as suggested earlier.
He wasn’t training. Channel 9 even showed him sitting in the stands watching in his casuals.

Esava and Simpson were training. As was Menegola and Stephens.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
It's round 4 guys. Some perspective.
It’s not ideal though. It will be round 6 before we see Cameron (assuming he hasn’t done it again which the evidence is stacking up given his no shows this week). He has now done absolutely no serious load training since Xmas.

It doesn’t bode well at all for a good productive season off an extremely ordinary one last year.

The alarm bells are ringing as the first two years of his deal are our “premiership chances”

It’s in the Geelong media guide...the injury is minor, nothing serious, two weeks....(2 weeks later) he’s close, if it was a final he could play this week but we want him to be cherry ripe.....(2 weeks later) we are being ultra cautious and holding the reigns......(two weeks later) he’s close it’s a strange one. Pretty rare injury not related to the last injury which was in exactly the same spot. He just feels tight so we are going to load him.....

Last edited:

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
A few are carrying on like a pork chop.

It's one of the most enduring (yet not endearing) qualities of any internet forum. See any of the incarnations of the Scott epic or the now hilarious Guthrie thread for a really graphic reminder of how hot takes and entrenched biases reign supreme in the online world.

The Sav details are good - contrary to the KROCK medical blokes report of the injury still being weeks away.

Good news

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back