Autopsy Rd 3 Insipid Loss to Carlton (Be Civil)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm new and maybe I might be wrong but people saying would have been different if we had whoever back to put on McKay... he kicked 4 on the best defender in the league ATM they had a much more senior midfield and don't get me wrong when our young midfield is on its hard to beat but just showed the experience they had and how much our young fellas have to work on their tank because walsh just did what ever he wanted who was even on him? I don't care how over rated anyone thinks he is if he is over rated our kids are in trouble.

I'm new and maybe I might be wrong but people saying would have been different if we had whoever back to put on McKay... he kicked 4 on the best defender in the league ATM they had a much more senior midfield and don't get me wrong when our young midfield is on its hard to beat but just showed the experience they had and how much our young fellas have to work on their tank because walsh just did what ever he wanted who was even on him? I don't care how over rated anyone thinks he is if he is over rated our kids are in trouble.
No you're right. With the midfield getting battered McPharlin or Silvagni would have made no difference. Especially since blocking is apparently legal for Eddy.

No you're right. With the midfield getting battered McPharlin or Silvagni would have made no difference. Especially since blocking is apparently legal for Eddy.
Eddie is 5 ft nothing if you can't push off 35 yo eddie as a key defender there is something wrong and it's not like out fwds haven't done it too

Eddie is 5 ft nothing if you can't fish off 35 yo eddie as a key defender there is something wrong and it's not like out fwds haven't done it too
I have enough strength to grab Cox 3 meters off the contest and impede his run. It's not that he couldn't break free, its that its too late once you do.

We did it too, but the difference was we got pinged and Eddy didn't.

Welcome to the Freo Big Footy community mate.

I think you’re right about McKay. With the supply he was getting nobody would have stood a chance. Walsh is seriously good and when Cripps got off the chain too our backs were always going to be in a world of hurt.

Welcome to the Freo Big Footy community mate.

I think you’re right about McKay. With the supply he was getting nobody would have stood a chance. Walsh is seriously good and when Cripps got off the chain too our backs were always going to be in a world of hurt.
And I don't know much about him but that no.5 for Carlton there was a few times where he just landed aggressive kicks across the centre of the ground and really cut through our zone and you can't defend that

It was all half arsed
No it wasnt a half arsed rebuild. I will admit it was a flawed one. we could of just got 7-9 teenagers in the draft each year and played 5-6 of them each week. We would be open to 10-15 goals thrashings each week. we would be lucky to win 4 games in 2017 and 2018 if we did. We had to moderate everything. Happy to Bring in 4-6 kids from the draft each year.

Our Squad around 2015-16 was ageing. We had an ageing best 22 and had to rebuild. Look at our back 6. McPharlin and Duffield retired in 2015, Dawson and Ibbo left in 2017. Johnson and Spurr were gone in 2018. Wilson and Hamling were good trades.

Midfield needed some kids. Hence why we got a fair bit of them in the 2017 Draft. I didnt mind Bringing in Brad Hill, Conca, Aish and Acres. Coyler was traded in for a 4th rounder.

Foward line was interesting. Pavlich and Mayne left in 2016, Ballantyne reitred in 2019. Traded in McCarthy, Kersten, Hogan, Lobb, Matera and Bennell. It didnt work out for most of them.

Drafting a teenage KPF with a top 10 pick doesnt ensure success though. But sometimes I wished we used a 2nd or 3rd rounder or even a rookie pick in either the 2016 or 2017 drafts to get a KPF.

Probs, but we've got rid of a lot of staff too.
Time for Bell to go IMO, and get someone in from Vic that is a career footy list person.
Not an ex Freo player, who has dabbled in property (badly), dabbled in hospitality (badly) and done media (better).
Need a Gubby Allen or someone like that IMO
I rather hire Neil Craig.... His resume looks good. He has done a lot of various roles: Fitness coach, Assistant coach, Senoir Coach, Tactical Coach, Development coach, Leading Various footy departments.
We haven't done anything successful in 26 years, bar 3 years when we were relevant.
Come back Rossy, all is forgiven, budding boobs and the like
Actually when you think about it only 3 good years where we at least made a prelim final at a miniumum: 2006, 2013, 2015.

7 Years out of 26, very likely now 27 years of making finals. Shows how badly run we have been and how unlucky we are.

The only time in our history we made finals for at least 2 years in a row was the Ross Lyon finals period of 2012-15. Horrible.

If you told me that over a 30 year period, Freo would make finals 10 times in that Period. You get a couple of 3 year finals runs with a prelim. then a couple 2 year finals run of a couple of elim finals wins. The only catch is each period you go in between each of those finals eras you endure a 5 year run of not making finals. So a 5 year rebuild each time. I would take it.

At least you could say Freo had some on field success of making finals for 2-3 years in a row and got a finals win or 2 in each period.

Our Period from 1995-2010, Very little to show for. 3 years out of 16 we made finals.

This.

Lyon was a prick and sh*t coach, let's just forget about him already.
Ross Lyon was a s**t coach? Far from it.

Got us to a grand final. No other freo coach can claim that.

Got freo to at least 2 prelims. No other freo coach can claim that.

Got freo to finals to at least 2 YEARS IN A ROW! No other freo coach can claim that.

Thats how low our standards are.

We should celebrate like we won the flag if we make finals for 2 years in a row from here on in.

Ross Lyon was a s**t coach? Far from it.

Got us to a grand final. No other freo coach can claim that.

Got freo to at least 2 prelims. No other freo coach can claim that.

Got freo to finals to at least 2 YEARS IN A ROW! No other freo coach can claim that.

Thats how low our standards are.

We should celebrate like we won the flag if we make finals for 2 years in a row from here on in.
Pfft. Could the Ross Lyon groupies please leave the room.

It's over let go..we have a new coach, his name is Justin Longmuir.

Btw, Ross was gifted that awesome team and drove it into the ground. While you're thanking him, thank him for the current mess we're in. Thank him for never addressing the forward delivery issues. Thank him for not giving the young guys a shot. Thank him for the laughs in the coaches box when we were getting smashed. And most of all thank him for Zac Dawson 👌

Ross was gifted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our rebuild was half assed, because Rosich and Lyon were dropping hail Mary’s (Hogan, McCarthy, Bennell) to save themselves. That cost us significant draft capital and personally I think lead to a number of players leaving.

The biggest mistake our club made was the 5 year contract.
All this rebuild stuff is ridiculous, and a con job for poor decisions.
When was the last time you heard WC, Cats, were rebuilding?
WC have gone local so many more times than us, and how many players have wanted to go home?
Bad management, and on the run policies.
Let alone letting players who bled purple go, Deboer, Barlow.
There is a reason why some clubs don’t bottom out for long and it has nothing to do with endless draft picks.
Even the Tigers were rubbish until off the field restructuring.

WC have gone local so many more times than us, and how many players have wanted to go home?
There is a reason why some clubs don’t bottom out for long and it has nothing to do with endless draft picks.
In our defence, I believe the club is FINALLY seeing the light, and beginning to operate under that model now. It's only 26 years too late!

In our defence, I believe the club is FINALLY seeing the light, and beginning to operate under that model now. It's only 26 years too late!
Cats were in a financial hole before Cook, The you have Balme, even Eddie at the Pies.
It starts at the top and works it’s way down.
Freo need to get back to its roots
and it’s backyard.
There is over a hundred years of
history, we need to be the community club, not just Freo by
name.

Pfft. Could the Ross Lyon groupies please leave the room.

It's over let go..we have a new coach, his name is Justin Longmuir.

Btw, Ross was gifted that awesome team and drove it into the ground. While you're thanking him, thank him for the current mess we're in. Thank him for never addressing the forward delivery issues. Thank him for not giving the young guys a shot. Thank him for the laughs in the coaches box when we were getting smashed. And most of all thank him for Zac Dawson 👌

Ross was gifted
Ross Lyon was Gifted an awesome team at Freo? Better than Ports 2001-05 team? Better than Brisbanes 1999-2004 side? Better than West coasts 1990s side? Nah!

He Drove that team into the ground but got us 4 years of finals.He did play youth But not enough of it.... Then Again, you aint playing 6 1st year players in round 1 after making a grand final are you?

Again, it wasnt Ross Lyons fault that each of our 1st rounders from 2007-13 were either injury prone or average or both. Lets Blame Ross Lyon for Anthony Morabitos injuries shall we?

Our rebuild was half assed, because Rosich and Lyon were dropping hail Mary’s (Hogan, McCarthy, Bennell) to save themselves. That cost us significant draft capital and personally I think lead to a number of players leaving.

The biggest mistake our club made was the 5 year contract.
He was rewarded that 5 year contract... Actually lets break that down shall we?

Ross Lyon came to our club on a 4 year deal from 2012-15. He got a 2 year extension until 2017 fresh off that grand final. He then got a 3 year extension until 2020 because he got us to another Preliminary final. So he was rewarded for getting us to finals.

Its not Like Alan Richardson at the saints, handing a 2 year extension for finishing 9th or 10th. Hell, we gave Chris Connolly an extension in 2005 after we failed to make finals for 2 year in a row.
Those pesky Lyon supporters always bringing him up. They should just move on.
I already have.
I agree that in our 2016-19 rebuild, we didnt get enough WA blokes. Why didnt we use a late pick in 2016 or 2017 draft to try a young Key forward prospect? We sort of did in 2012 with Tanner Smith and Matt taberner
This kind of mentality needs to disappear out of the club pretty quickly if we are ever to achieve success
Well its going to take a while...

But look at our finals history: 7 years out of 27 and only in one period of time we made finals for 2 years in a row only once.

I want Justin Longmuir to succeed. I want him to give Freo a 2 or 3 year run of finals before Fyfe, Walters, Hamling etc retire.

Supporters mentality means squat. You may as well put that alongside the coaches star signs as meaningful reasons for success or lack thereof.
All our success is on the coach right?
Disagree, it’s on the club.
AFL is like formula One, best car,
which is team win.
You can change the driver and still win championships.
Sure there are better drivers, but without the quality the podium finish is a dream.
Clarkson, Hardwick, even Buckley have all been on thin ice.

Saw someone on FB saw they should get 10-20 supporters in each week to talk to the players at training and let em know how it feels to watch their sh*t every year.

Is it bad that I'd genuinely want to do that? It's a stupid FB comment but if given the opportunity I'd 100% do it.
What time is the supporter abuse session this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back