The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ablett snr was the last to reach 1000 goals? I was only 3 so have no memory, and it’s so rare these days, Buddy could be the last one for a long, long time.

If Buddy is within a few goals of that milestone it’ll be a game everyone will want to attend.
It'll be at the SCG for sure. In fact I doubt he plays outside Sydney again unless something happens in September.

At which point he was even more awful as he hadn't had his one good play haha.

My timing must be off. The comment jd responded to was mine, which was complimentary of Bell.

It'll be at the SCG for sure. In fact I doubt he plays outside Sydney again unless something happens in September.

Heavy Mesut Ozil vibes here.

My timing must be off. The comment jd responded to was mine, which was complimentary of Bell.
Yeah and I'm saying he was s**t from the start lol, swans board is ripping into him.

Not the only Swans kid that had a mare.
Huh? Pretty much lol. Unless you're talking missed shots, all the other kids put in heart and effort which is the main requirement. Logan had a few fantastic late pressure acts which were awesome.

Ablett snr was the last to reach 1000 goals? I was only 3 so have no memory, and it’s so rare these days, Buddy could be the last one for a long, long time.

If Buddy is within a few goals of that milestone it’ll be a game everyone will want to attend.

Yeah, Gary Ablett Sr reached 1000 goals in 1996. Tony Lockett got to the mark in 1995. No one will get to 1000 - after Buddy - for a very long time, if ever again. Jack Riewoldt is the next current player and he is on 672 goals.

The last 100 goal season was in 2008 and the few players who have kicked 1000+ goals had multiple 100+ goal years. Since 2009, the Coleman Medal has been won with a 86 goal year (highest since 2009) and six seasons of 65-69 goals. That won’t be enough over anyones career to reach 1000 goals.

In terms of 1000 goal players who had 100 goal years, Plugger had 6, Coventry had 4 and a 97 goal year, Dunstall had 6, Doug Wade had 2 and three 90+ goal years, Gary Ablett Sr had 3. Buddy has had one 100 goal year but he was very consistent throughout, not to mention he played 10 games in 2019 and none in 2020. Good chance that Buddy is the last so it should be a game watched by everyone when he does reach the milestone.

Yeah, Gary Ablett Sr reached 1000 goals in 1996. Tony Lockett got to the mark in 1995. No one will get to 1000 - after Buddy - for a very long time, if ever again. Jack Riewoldt is the next current player and he is on 672 goals.

The last 100 goal season was in 2008 and the few players who have kicked 1000+ goals had multiple 100+ goal years. Since 2009, the Coleman Medal has been won with a 86 goal year (highest since 2009) and six seasons of 65-69 goals. That won’t be enough over anyones career to reach 1000 goals.

In terms of 1000 goal players who had 100 goal years, Plugger had 6, Coventry had 4 and a 97 goal year, Dunstall had 6, Doug Wade had 2 and three 90+ goal years, Gary Ablett Sr had 3. Buddy has had one 100 goal year but he was very consistent throughout, not to mention he played 10 games in 2019 and none in 2020. Good chance that Buddy is the last so it should be a game watched by everyone when he does reach the milestone.

You're likely right, but I'm not being as absolute on it if these rule changes and 6-6-6 do end up with key forwards being more isolated and kicking bigger bags in general.

When Buddy gets to 1000 he'll do that off the back of one 100 goal season and an entire year of not playing (last year). Yes he's played a long time, but not a ridiculous amount of time. You just need a key forward having a 15 year career averaging about 70 goals a year over that time.

To be fair I was living in the UK for most of that period you mention there and barely watched much footy

I lived in the UK in 2010 and watched almost all of our games! I don't blame you for missing the EF though. ;)

You're likely right, but I'm not being as absolute on it if these rule changes and 6-6-6 do end up with key forwards being more isolated and kicking bigger bags in general.

When Buddy gets to 1000 he'll do that off the back of one 100 goal season and an entire year of not playing (last year). Yes he's played a long time, but not a ridiculous amount of time. You just need a key forward having a 15 year career averaging about 70 goals a year over that time.

Never say never, I guess. And you are right with the 6-6-6 rule and this stand rule has helped a lot, too. You can already see how much key forwards have benefited this year.

Never say never, I guess. And you are right with the 6-6-6 rule and this stand rule has helped a lot, too. You can already see how much key forwards have benefited this year.

If Tex kicks 10+ against North this week I reckon a case could be made for him getting 100 this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lived in the UK in 2010 and watched almost all of our games! I don't blame you for missing the EF though. ;)
You know what its like you'll only watch your own side when over there. Nah i remember 2010 finals. You guys did the final series a huge favour stumbling over the line. It would have been ugly what the dogs did to us if we pulled off that upset

You know what its like you'll only watch your own side when over there. Nah i remember 2010 finals. You guys did the final series a huge favour stumbling over the line. It would have been ugly what the dogs did to us if we pulled off that upset

s**t way to get eliminated. I was at my sisters house watching the game, sitting on this uncomfortable as * couch, so it was a complete nightmare.

I’m bullish about Sydney this year. They have a strong senior group, some very good players about to enter their prime and arguably the best youth in the comp. They’ve struck the perfect balance with their age profile. They also play a brand of football that will stack up in finals and is effective on any ground. Most importantly, they looked fantastic on the ground that counts the most.

We often see sides quick out of the blocks that eventually fade around mid season, but in recent years Port, St Kilda, Brisbane, Collingwood and Richmond have all come from nowhere, maintained their form throughout the season (despite being widely tipped to fall off) and got themselves to the pointy end.

It’s so good for the competition that sides are successfully rebuilding without bottoming out for prolonged periods. Must be frustrating for Carlton supporters watching these sides fly past them every year.

I’m bullish about Sydney this year. They have a strong senior group, some very good players about to enter their prime and arguably the best youth in the comp. They’ve struck the perfect balance with their age profile. They also play a brand of football that will stack up in finals and is effective on any ground. Most importantly, they looked fantastic on the ground that counts the most.

We often see sides quick out of the blocks that eventually fade around mid season, but in recent years Port, St Kilda, Brisbane, Collingwood and Richmond have all come from nowhere, maintained their form throughout the season (despite being widely tipped to fall off) and got themselves to the pointy end.

It’s so good for the competition that sides are successfully rebuilding without bottoming out for prolonged periods. Must be frustrating for Carlton supporters watching these sides fly past them every year.

Was that necessary for your post? Seems weird because you were doing so well.

Are you just going to tip the upset in every game so you can say you were right?

Didn't say that, but North have a good recent record against the Crows at Marvel.

The Crows should/will win, but it's not going to be the cakewalk many think it will be.

You would be surprised how many teams that win by 100 plus points in the past win the following week..

Pretty sure We will see a harder and far more competitive North side this weekend at any rate.

Was that necessary for your post? Seems weird because you were doing so well.
I guess Carlton are a good example of a club who have stockpiled high draft picks and played the long game with their rebuild, so pointing out their strategy in comparison to a Sydney, Port, Collingwood, etc. did help drill home my point.

I also never said it would fail. You might win the next five flags for all I know. My point was that it’s becoming increasingly apparent that clubs do not need to endure years and years of pain to bounce back up again and that it’s healthy for the competition.

Sorry to offend.

I guess Carlton are a good example of a club who have stockpiled high draft picks and played the long game with their rebuild, so pointing out their strategy in comparison to a Sydney, Port, Collingwood, etc. did help drill home my point.

I also never said it would fail. You might win the next five flags for all I know. My point was that it’s becoming increasingly apparent that clubs do not need to endure years and years of pain to bounce back up again and that it’s healthy for the competition.

Sorry to offend.

Trust me mate you didn’t offend me. You fleshed out what you meant in a follow up post, which I appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back