Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladhams out is a stupid move I reckon. If you want to drop a "tall", one of either Dixon, Marshall or Georgiades - not Ladhams.
Offered nothing up forward and didn't give us any advantage when he was rucking against an opposition key forward 8cm shorter than him.

He hardly deserved selection this week.

He deffs doesn't have the ability to play in the midfield, I would have dropped him.
Totally agree. I reckon that on Saturday arvo at the Adelaide Oval there would be 44 players who would be better kicks than Hammer.

Last edited:
I know we’ve liked the 2 ruck model for a while but ladhams has been really poor in the ruck so far this year, awful against Nic Nat. So I really don’t think we lose much not playing him on current form. One of our other talls can provide as much as pete when Scooter needs a spell in the ruck.

The team looks more balanced now.

Stoked for jones.

I would’ve been tempted to drop Hartlett for Bergman too, big game for hammer to prove he still has it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still find it funny that people think it had any bearing on that game, the midfield were slaughtered being tall up front had bugger all to do with it.

More than one area of the ground can fail. The 4 talls constantly got in each other's way. Dixon had probably his worst game in years, Ladhams his worst ever and even though Marshall and Georgiades kicked goals they still struggled to impact most of the night. Nobody is saying it cost us the game but it plainly didn't work and the coaches have effectively acknowledged that by immediately dispensing with the strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand you. Ladhams was far weaker at the contest last week than Aliir in R1, but *crickets*
No one this year has been as weak as Aliir was in the first round of this season; even last week when we were getting a pasting.

I hope no Richmond player runs into Lycett's thigh really hard accidentally-on-purpose during the game because then we are *f***ed*! I would hazard a guess that none of Dixon, Marshall nor Georgiades has been schooled in rucking with our rovers but selection is the coach's prerogative and we'll see what happens.

I don't know they can develop in the 2s, in fact my opinion is that the SANFL is a terrible league for developing tall forwards.

We haven't developed a key forward to consistent AFL standard since Tredrea.

We're not just unlucky.
Ladhams did his dues there, and Hayes is going fine & building for a debut. If they are good enough, they will get the opportunity ... Love the Butch, but he just didnt have it.

In my opinion, it was not possible to ascertain whether playing Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades in the front six last game was successful or not given that we we comprehensively beaten.

Given the stipulation that it must be 6 v 6 when the ball is bounced in the center, then you would want to at last break even with your opponent getting the ball out of the center square and at other times, you need to win the roving around the ground to provide sufficient opportunities for your three tall men in the forward lines. We were beaten in those two areas and given that at times we had four talls in the front six, it exacerbated the problem.

This week's selection on face value, is better balanced. The team structure forward of center is what I believe to be best given the laws of the game and suits our needs admirably, ie. 3 talls with room for Fantasia to do his damage along with Robbie Gray with Butters/Motlop/Rozee + rotating up forward.

Unfortunately, going in with one ruckman given the pace of the game now with the longer quarters, less interchange and the 6 v 6 rule, is fraught with danger and football being a body contact sport, if Lycett does go down, we will need get one of the forward talls to go into ruck. Against Richmond, given that they are not the tallest side around, it would be a good opportunity to throw Aliir into the ruck when needed.

This is a very significant game for us; getting a win goes without saying but it will also be interesting to see what happens with the three tall forwards in the same side and if Aliir is thrown into the ruck to help out, will that mean that he rests in the backlines or the bench and who then becomes the designated "sweeper"? Again, being Richmond, 6 v 6 even without Aliir in the backlines, we should be able to cope with them man-on-man because they are not a West Coast Eagles in size and bulk.

It's in the center where this game will be won or lost. What we need is every player ready from the off and giving everything for every second of the game. I'm looking forward to the game - pity it's not in the daytime.

I know we’ve liked the 2 ruck model for a while but ladhams has been really poor in the ruck so far this year, awful against Nic Nat. So I really don’t think we lose much not playing him on current form. One of our other talls can provide as much as pete when Scooter needs a spell in the ruck.

The team looks more balanced now.

Stoked for jones.

I would’ve been tempted to drop Hartlett for Bergman too, big game for hammer to prove he still has it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm stoked for Jones too. All the best for his debut.

Ladhams wasn't poor in the two games previous to last week. He wasn't in top, top form but we have a few lads that were not at their best and it's only that we played two average sides first up that hid the so-so form of others. For example, Burton, DBJ, Butters had one spectacular game and the other was so-so, Fantasia against his old side was so-so and Scotty Lycett wasn't exactly dominating either and Duursma wasn't as clean as he should be but his courage and commitment can never be questioned. All of them were serviceable however.

I still find it funny that people think it had any bearing on that game, the midfield were slaughtered being tall up front had bugger all to do with it.
What do you f****ng care? You don't give a rat's arse about Port Adelaide. You find players cracking jokes and having conversations with opponents whilst we are getting a hiding just a great big laugh. Don't pretend you give a f**k.

What do you f****ng care? You don't give a rat's arse about Port Adelaide. You find players cracking jokes and having conversations with opponents whilst we are getting a hiding just a great big laugh. Don't pretend you give a f**k.
Excuse me? I'll presume you have me confused with another poster instead of kicking ya teeth down ya throat.

I still feel we are a bit tall up forward. Would have like to kept the 2 ruck combo and gone with either Marshall or Georgiadis (* my spelling today). But we have gone with just Lycett and maybe using some pinch hitting from the forwards.

One thing I have like this season is seeing Drew getting a run so far, I like him as a player and hopefully he continues to ply well.

Ladhams was bad but I'm guessing we're now playing Dixon as 2nd ruck? Not really ideal.

Lycett can do stoppages between the arcs (or better around 40m out from either goal). If there's a stoppage and a quick kick to the square thats where you want Dixon contesting. If the stoppage is within 30m any quick stoppage wins will most likely result in a shot on goal so Dixon can be more effective trying to bully his way through the stoppage.

Not sure about defensive stoppages close to goal, maybe Allir can take those or we push Lycett deeper and Dixon/Marshall take forward half rucks depending on where the ball is.

If all else fails just put Wines in there and clog the stoppage with an extra mid.

Given our 2 rucks are more serviceable / good (Lycett) to mediocre (Ladhams) actual rucks (Ladhams has other strengths when in form) the main requirement for two is probably up against more dominant ruckmen (Nic Nat, Goldstein, Gawn) to double up on them and make their life hard. Nankervis isn't s**t though, so its a tough call.

No one this year has been as weak as Aliir was in the first round of this season; even last week when we were getting a pasting.

I hope no Richmond player runs into Lycett's thigh really hard accidentally-on-purpose during the game because then we are *f***ed*! I would hazard a guess that none of Dixon, Marshall nor Georgiades has been schooled in rucking with our rovers but selection is the coach's prerogative and we'll see what happens.

Within 5 minutes Jones would run accidently-on-purpose into Nankervis's thigh, back up, and then kick him repeatedly in the nuts leaving us about even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back