Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea but it doesn’t free up 300k because that lost spot still needs to be replaced.

I would be surprised if after the pay increases to those guys mentioned in the previous post it left much excess salary. Would have to wait and see though.
We had interest in Brad Crouch before Jack Higgins requested a trade

Clubs who would be a bit silly to sign Kelly at his asking price:
Richmond (surely paydays are coming for Bolton, Balta, Short, Baker et al?)
North (the only thing you guys don’t need is a midfielder, why restrict your cap space during a rebuild?)
GWS (they’ve already thrown Coniglio 7 million to stay... they need to invest in players who don’t want to leave)

Hawthorn will happily throw in some lowball offer which will be bested by Essendon or St Kilda. North will offer 8 for 8 anyway because they can’t help themselves.

Yeah And probably hoping to get him in a discount because you are the Tigers, Kelly will be earning way more than what you offered Crouch
You remember when we were little boys champion players used to go to the Hawks for less to play in flags ;)

Lynch accepted $300k less to play for Richmond instead of Hawks & Pies (smart man)

Maybe he should have a chat with Josh

id happily pay him what he wants as long as don’t have to give up our first this or next year for him.

Kelly on one wing and Polec on the other is a good start.

North are miles off being competitive. Absolutely no point you guys trying to lure him.

You need to hit the draft hard and build from within. Maybe get some other vets/bigger bodies on the side, but Kelly is simply unrealistic/feasible for Notth

North are miles off being competitive. Absolutely no point you guys trying to lure him.

You need to hit the draft hard and build from within. Maybe get some other vets/bigger bodies on the side, but Kelly is simply unrealistic/feasible for Notth
So who do they pay 95% of the salary cap to ?

No trade required a free agent that only costs cash which north have truck loads

No point in going to Richmond. They're nearing their expiry date and wouldn't be able to offer top dollar.

Melbourne would be my tip. They're a team on the rise and still need outside run and class. They were thinking about taking him in the 2012 minidraft before settling on Hogan. They could make a big offer too.

Sydney is another one I'd tip to be in contention. He's obviously not homesick, and Sydney are well poised to contend for the next 5 years.

I doubt he will go to North. He could've gone at the end of 2017 at huge money, but turned it down. There will still be big money offers on the table for him, and they will be from contending teams.

No point in going to Richmond. They're nearing their expiry date and wouldn't be able to offer top dollar.

Melbourne would be my tip. They're a team on the rise and still need outside run and class. They were thinking about taking him in the 2012 minidraft before settling on Hogan. They could make a big offer too.

Sydney is another one I'd tip to be in contention. He's obviously not homesick, and Sydney are well poised to contend for the next 5 years.

I doubt he will go to North. He could've gone at the end of 2017 at huge money, but turned it down. There will still be big money offers on the table for him, and they will be from contending teams.

I know he is not from SA but I do not see why the Crows should not have a massive crack at Kelly. Look like a young team on the rise with (I presume plenty of cap space)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what?

If he's interested in winning a flag, GWS is one of the last places he should be.
This is an agreeable statement, it's true, however I assume james Dean is referring to the fact the extension is worth $1 mill or more a year, can't see anyone matching that, and whilst flags are great and every player wants one, leaving 250k+ a year on the table is a big sacrifice

This is an agreeable statement, it's true, however I assume james Dean is referring to the fact the extension is worth $1 mill or more a year, can't see anyone matching that, and whilst flags are great and every player wants one, leaving 250k+ a year on the table is a big sacrifice
Shiel turned down around that much from Carlton to sign for the Bombers.
Dangerfield accepted significantly less to sign with Geelong.
Tom Lynch accepted less to go to Richmond, Jeremy Cameron accepted less to go to Geelong, Kelly himself accepted less to stay at the Giants instead of accepting North's monster offer in 2017.

Its not that uncommon for players to walk away from a 6-figure sum of money out of either loyalty or the quest for a flag. If Kelly is loyal, he's loyal. If he wants a flag, I highly doubt $200k will stop him from moving.

Last edited:
It’s the money which he would be a fool to turn down
Lol, people like you were saying that about Kelly in 2017 when North Melbourne offered a colossus deal.

Money isn't everything; just because the brown paper bags were enough to temp Chris Judd to join a poor Carlton team doesn't mean money is the only thing that matters for every player.

Nick Vlastuin : There would be clubs paying a couple of hundred K more but its where you are happy and the success you have with a tight group and enjoy coming to the club every day.

Also half goes in Tax.

His exact words

By the time the contact is halfway through GWS will be back in finals contention, their midfield is elite when fit.

Let's be honest, anyone would take the giant contract for security and salary.

By the time the contact is halfway through GWS will be back in finals contention, their midfield is elite when fit.

Let's be honest, anyone would take the giant contract for security and salary.
Again, everyone was saying this in 2017. North made an offer of over a million dollars for like 8-9 years; everyone was saying he'd be stupid not to take it and that he was gone for sure. Ended up re-signing for two years on less money.

Kelly will get good money wherever he goes. GWS's prospects for the next 5 years look bad. It's not difficult to envisage a scenario where he chooses to move.

Again, everyone was saying this in 2017. North made an offer of over a million dollars for like 8-9 years; everyone was saying he'd be stupid not to take it and that he was gone for sure. Ended up re-signing for two years on less money.

Kelly will get good money wherever he goes. GWS's prospects for the next 5 years look bad. It's not difficult to envisage a scenario where he chooses to move.
Is he not able to trigger a 6 year, $1M a year contract? I thought that was what is available to him at the giants.

No chance he gets that anywhere else in this form.

It’s the money which he would be a fool to turn down
There’s also no guarantee that if he went to a Vic club he would get ultimate success.

Richmond and Geelong may only have a couple of years before their eventual decline. North look to have a multi year rebuild in front of them.

The bulldogs wouldn’t be prioritising him with their gun midfield.

Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon may or may not be a long way off. Roll of the dice with these clubs really. Law of averages says one will probably succeed, one will fail and the other two probably end up middling out. Hard to pick which will end up where.

For me, Melbourne is probably the only club that projects well medium term list wise on current form. The Saints are also a wildcard.

Just as much chance for him to see success at GWS if he stuck it out for the next half dozen years than picking one of those sides. And the cash is excellent.

There’s also no guarantee that if he went to a Vic club he would get ultimate success.

Richmond and Geelong may only have a couple of years before their eventual decline. North look to have a multi year rebuild in front of them.

The bulldogs wouldn’t be prioritising him with their gun midfield.

Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon may or may not be a long way off. Roll of the dice with these clubs really. Law of averages says one will probably succeed, one will fail and the other two probably end up middling out. Hard to pick which will end up where.

For me, Melbourne is probably the only club that projects well medium term list wise on current form. The Saints are also a wildcard.

Just as much chance for him to see success at GWS if he stuck it out for the next half dozen years than picking one of those sides. And the cash is excellent.
Lynch is the only big name recruit I can think of in recent years who actually won a flag.

Judd
Ablett
Franklin
Dangerfield

no flags combined (at their new clubs)

there have been examples of trades which helped win flags, Prestia, Boyd, Yeo. But they all came at reasonable costs

and there have also been free agent signings which have contributed to flags. Frawley for example

but they weren’t big names.

there’s actually reason to believe that going balls out on a big name to be the messiah is not the way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back