Women's Footy 2021 AFLW Preliminary Final: Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I would start a thread for this game...

Start time: 4.10 pm @ The Gabba.

Available to watch from 4 pm EST on 7Mate/Channel 7 (depending on where you live), Kayo, AFLW website and AFLW App.

BOM predicted weather forecast for Brisbane (as of Wednesday): Min 19 Max 32. Sunny. 5% chance of any rain (means 0% in reality). Light winds becoming westerly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning then becoming light during the evening. Perfect Queensland day for football (hopefully a bit too hot for the Pies).

Small preview:
The Lions have been a consistent team all year with excellent defence, midfield run and team dynamics. The forward line has had some poor periods but the Lions got over the line though their stingy defence. Same thing can be said for Collingwood. The last game at the Whitton Oval was really close and I expect it will be close again.

Three keys to the game for the Lions:
1. Forward line. Entry into the forward lines needs to be better and our talls, Dakota Davidson and Jessie Wardlaw, need to play well and at least bring the ball to ground during contests. Collingwood have good intercept markers in defence. Jess Wuetschner could be a factor close to goals and is due a big game. Accurate goal kicking would help as well.
2. Hard tag. Cathy Svarc (and other midfielders) need to blanket Brianna Davies like the last game. Bri is probably the best player in the league IMO.
3. Operation Molloy. Keep Chloe Molloy under some sort of control.

Prediction: Lions by 7 pts.

Listened to Sophie Conways interview on Lions.com......what a competitor......she will will be giving 100% til the siren. Interesting that that both Sophie n Dakota are hoping for a packed Gabba. I will be at the mens game.......how many lions do u think will trek to the Gabba to see the Pies go cold? They could be rather hot if not many attend.

lets go LIONS!

goty by Hodder, Wardlaw back to her best to kick 4, Lutkins with 15 intercept marks, and O'Dwyer to finally kick a round the body goal ;)

you'd think a piece specifically about the FOUR teams coming into the finals and how they differ would be a good read to see how we stack up..

sure we're there in the graphs, but we get mentioned 3 times :(

Once to mention Starc being our inaugural coach.. once about how we made it to the GF 2017/19, and finally comparing our kick:handball ratio.

It would be interesting to discuss how we made it so far without the so-called 'big names', or at least individual players who rank highly in stats. Or at least some discussion of our game-style, or how we have a good i50:goals kicked ratio.

maybe it was just a short throw-away article and i'm getting riled up over nothing ;)

super excited to see how we use Svarc too. The Pies seemingly say they want her to go hard at Bri Davey as she'll come back harder.. But I reckon wherever we use her, Svarc will be a huge impact.

maybe it was just a short throw-away article and i'm getting riled up over nothing ;)

Sarah Black, like most vic-based journos, tends to skew towards the Victorian teams. Then again, it was really a throwaway article about stats and we didn't feature heavily in much. It did show that we should be tackling hard around the stoppages then spreading hard to a zone.

Listened to Sophie Conways interview on Lions.com......what a competitor......she will will be giving 100% til the siren. Interesting that that both Sophie n Dakota are hoping for a packed Gabba. I will be at the mens game.......how many lions do u think will trek to the Gabba to see the Pies go cold? They could be rather hot if not many attend.

I will certainly be in attendance and I will not give the pies any quarter. People assuming not many will attend is typical arrogance.

ETA: I personally very much like the women's season and tend to feel a lot of disappointment when it ends. While I like watching the men's season, I also really enjoy the women's season and watching its development. I tend to get the irrits when people speculate on how many people will turn up for a women's game when a men's game is on the same day at a different venue. I will be paying attention to the men's game but it will not be my end all and be all. The men's game is not the main feature for me.

Last edited:
Our girls can do this. The pies might have won against North without much influence from Malloy but we have good players across the board. They don't. The only players of theirs that I rate are Malloy, Davies,and Livingstone. We have more contributors than they do. Us by 17 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of speculation about attendance, is it not absolute rubbish our teams have been scheduled at the same time? The AFL knew two weeks ago we'd earned the right to host a final and it's not like the men's game has changed

Yeah it's crap that if you're going to the women's game you won't be seeing much of the men's game but as a Lions supporter I've gotten used to the shabby treatment by the powers that be...

Anyone else think that the Lioness mascot looks a bit tacky?

I don't see the particular need for a female version of the mascot, but then again, it isn't aimed at me, it's aimed at young girls, so y'know... I'm not bothered either way. Reckon it looks a bit MS Paint though...

I think a lot of clubs have a male and female mascot. Does look strange but it'll just take time to get used to.

Hope i am wrong but i predict a crowd of under 1,000 for this game.
Could be as low as 500 unless the promotions team have been active in giving away lots of tickets

I have been to all the Lions AFLW games played in SEQ since they started but won't attend this game
Unfortunately because of the clash the only way i can see both live is to watch on TV.

Attendances at AFLW this year has dropped off dramatically.
Due in some to covid crowd number restrictions.
Then you add more games overlapping the men's fixture
Local junior teams for both sexes playing
Throw in the admission charge (big mistake in my opinion)

Largest crowd of season was the Lions v North curtain raiser at 6613. I assume they took a number possibly at 1/2 time.
Lowest 272 Suns v Carlton at Metricon
The second largest crowd was also a Lions game v Freemantle of 3423 at Freemantle Oval

Two predictions for the weekend Lions to edge out Collingwood to make the GF
Free admission to the GF wherever it is held. But especially if it is at the Gabba

Below link to AFLW crowd numbers

Yeah it's crap that if you're going to the women's game you won't be seeing much of the men's game but as a Lions supporter I've gotten used to the shabby treatment by the powers that be...
I was quite sure the men's game was at 2pm but it looks like we can watch them back to back. But let's still be outraged by all of the other shabby treatment!

Teams

BRISBANE v COLLINGWOOD

Saturday April 10, 4:10pm at the Gabba

LIONS

B: E.Zielke, S.Campbell

HB: K.Lutkins, N.Grider, B.Koenen

C: O.O’Dwyer, C.Svarc, S.Conway

HF: G.Bodey, D.Davidson, L.Arnell

F: J.Wardlaw, C.Hodder

FOLL: T.Hickie, A.Anderson, E.Bates

I/C: I.Tahau, J.Ellenger, I.Dawes, J.Wuetschner, T.Smith

EMG: M.Moloney, R.Lugg

IN: S.Campbell

OUT: R.Lugg (omitted)

MAGPIES

B: R.Schleicher, A.Porter

HB: A.Brazill, S.Livingstone, S.Casey

C: S.Chiocci, J.Lambert, E.Fowler

HF: A.Sheridan, S.Alexander, K.Stratton

F: C.Molloy, M.Cann

FOLL: S.Norder, B.Davey, B.Bonnici

I/C: E.O’Dea, S.Rowe, T.Brown, B.Smith, M.Shevlin

EMG: J.Lin, A.Newman

IN: S.Casey

OUT: J.Lin (omitted)

Could be as low as 500 unless the promotions team have been active in giving away lots of tickets

I have been to all the Lions AFLW games played in SEQ since they started but won't attend this game
Unfortunately because of the clash the only way i can see both live is to watch on TV.

Largest crowd of season was the Lions v North curtain raiser at 6613. I assume they took a number possibly at 1/2 time.
The second largest crowd was also a Lions game v Freemantle of 3423 at Freemantle Oval

Free admission to the GF wherever it is held. But especially if it is at the Gabba

Jesus, people whinge about the women's league leeching off the men's game then when they make people pay, a measly $10 to go and watch, people moan about that too! Charging people to watch was not a bad decision. You want the women's league to stand on its own feet (eventually)? Then now's as good a time as any to start charging. As for attendance you can blame poor advertising for that. Believe it or not for some people the men's game is not the main attraction. I realise that's extremely difficult for some people to believe but that's not my problem. And why should the GF be free?! The main event on a season's calendar and you think it should be free?? Again, $10 isn't that much.

The largest crowd was for the eagles/dockers game which got in over 7000

And the 6000+ who turned up for the North game were all there by half time. I spoke to a couple of people on the day who turned up around then because they weren't aware of when the game was supposed to start. Your condescending attitude towards the women's game is not appreciated or necessary.

ETA: there had been confusion about the start of the women's game because the ticket master advertising stated the start of the men's game quite prominently and people assumed that was when the women's game started.

Last edited:
Back