Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sun Apr 11 @ MCG 3:20 pm - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People talking about playing an extra tall forward to combat Melb's tall defenders, how backwards is that? They have to find match ups for our forwards, not the other way around. Playing smalls/mediums with leg speed is what will trouble them, not giving them an extra tall to assign one of their tall defenders.

People talking about playing an extra tall forward to combat Melb's tall defenders, how backwards is that? They have to find match ups for our forwards, not the other way around. Playing smalls/mediums with leg speed is what will trouble them, not giving them an extra tall to assign one of their tall defenders.
100%

In line with the MC approach of backing experienced players and structure - suspect changes will be minimal:
- Menegola for Higgins and Close for Evans. (Constable back to 23rd, although with MOC in the middle and Henry likely to play forward they may make Zuthrie 23rd to cover Kolo, Blitz and backs). May ‘rest’ Holmes but would need another attacking mid to come in - Narkle could be that but seems out of favour.

While I’d be okay with just Sam and Brad coming in, I would also prefer Dalh out, replaced by Jarvis (some tackle pressure, with ability to lead up/take a mark). On Dahl’s current form wouldn’t lose much in possessions or goals. Together with Henry, Jarvis might provide enough forward marking targets to take pressure off Hawk (ie without having to resort to JJ or Fort, where we lose the defensive pressure). Would be tempting to dump Stanley but pitching an underdone Fort against Gawn would be pretty risky and JJ alone would be madness.

Last edited:

Gawn will s**t on Stanley regardless. He's a player at the very peak of his powers. Career best season on the cards.
Bringing in a list clogger like Fort would be suicide.

How we move the ball into our forward line is the key not how many talls or smalls we have.

See sydneys low accurate passes inside 50.

I see the Tigers are playing not 1 but 2 debs tonight, even though they've won 3/4 flags. Bulldogs dropped JJ, their NS medallist, recently. GWS their skipper last year. It makes us look very timid when it comes to selection; we'll know more when the team appears. In other words, if Dal is in we'll know mediocrity gets rewarded at Geelong.

I see the Tigers are playing not 1 but 2 debs tonight, even though they've won 3/4 flags. Bulldogs dropped JJ, their NS medallist, recently. GWS their skipper last year. It makes us look very timid when it comes to selection; we'll know more when the team appears. In other words, if Dal is in we'll know mediocrity gets rewarded at Geelong.

We'll also be reminded of how many first-choice players in the forward half are unavailable right now.

Bring back Danger, Cameron, Higgins, Simpson, Rata and Rohan, for a start. Then see whether his mediocrity is rewarded with senior selection.

Do we even have players available to replace the poor performing ones? Close is mooted to replace Dhal so that’s a start.

I think you’re reading too much into it

We'll also be reminded of how many first-choice players in the forward half are unavailable right now.

Bring back Danger, Cameron, Higgins, Simpson, Rata and Rohan, for a start. Then see whether his mediocrity is rewarded with senior selection.

This is where he'll slip through......We won't see Cameron, Higgins and Rata for some weeks yet, perhaps a month or two in some cases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where he'll slip through......We won't see Cameron, Higgins and Rata for some weeks yet, perhaps a month or two in some cases.

I'm backing Cameron in to play Round 5 against the Roos. And Rata is potentially playing some minutes in the twos on the weekend.

Higgins is a lot further back, I agree. But just getting Danger and Rohan back next weekend will put Dahl in massive trouble, even if he survives the axe this weekend.

well if the pressure is high up the field and we move the ball slowly, then i don't see how any small forward will do damage.

I love the go quick or Melb will kill us rhetoric.

Melb are the pinup team for going slow. Up there with the Saints and Ess. They aren’t a huge pressure team. They zone, won’t man up and have one trick which is huge fwd half territory advantages which hopefully leads to turnover scores.

control the ball. Give them less chance to go inside 50. They never kick a big score on fwd talent alone. Their defenders and ruckman prey on quick high balls. They have egos everywhere in their midfield and defenders who refuse to play a team game or pick up a man when required.

We may lose bc that’s the nature of football but I’d be more than happy to win exactly the same as last week. We are far less chance to win a run and gun game.
if you want turnover scores from the Dees butchered kicks then it would have to move quickly wouldn't it? You cant get a turnover score from chipping it around slowly.

I'm backing Cameron in to play Round 5 against the Roos. And Rata is potentially playing some minutes in the twos on the weekend.

Higgins is a lot further back, I agree. But just getting Danger and Rohan back next weekend will put Dahl in massive trouble, even if he survives the axe this weekend.

Im getting the vibe from the club that Cameron's injury is worse than we are being told and he could miss another 2-3 weeks, the trade is looking very shaky at the moment and will be until he pulls on the jumper for a month straight without issue, constant hammy's are a real worry, just ask Cocky. You dont want a potential 100+ game player to only end up playing 50-70 due to injuries. I was confident of him returning against North after the positive comments during the Brisbane game but the narrative has seemed to go back to the negative side hence my opinion.

Im getting the vibe from the club that Cameron's injury is worse than we are being told and he could miss another 2-3 weeks, the trade is looking very shaky at the moment and will be until he pulls on the jumper for a month straight without issue, constant hammy's are a real worry, just ask Cocky.

Cool. I guess we'll all know a little more by the time Round 5 rolls around.

And, as for Nakia, constant hammys from very early in your career are a huge issue. Just ask Chris Fagan...

Cool. I guess we'll all know a little more by the time Round 5 rolls around.

And, as for Nakia, constant hammys from very early in your career are a huge issue. Just ask Chris Fagan...

Yep and Cameron has had hammy issues earlier in his career too, look i could be totally wrong and he might return next week but the fact that the club has gone quiet on his club debut tells me all is not what it seems.

Rata might play this weekend?! Well, that's good news. I had the impression he might've been a little further away than that.

I'd rather see them give a young guy a taste of senior footy than carry Dahl until someone makes it back though. He's doing absolutely nothing, and THAT kick...... 😯

It will be for sure.
This coach never drops his favorites.
Not sure why you don't know this after all these years already.

If he can't face dropping them, he just moves them into another position on the ground where they inevitably get beaten.

It will be for sure.
This coach never drops his favorites.
Not sure why you don't know this after all these years already.

If he can't face dropping them, he just moves them into another position on the ground where they inevitably get beaten.

Fair enough. If you can still see Dahlhaus in the team in his current form when all those players return, you have a better imagination than me.

Rata might play this weekend?! Well, that's good news. I had the impression he might've been a little further away than that.

I'd rather see them give a young guy a taste of senior footy than carry Dahl until someone makes it back though. He's doing absolutely nothing, and THAT kick...... 😯

In the end, it's one week until Danger and Rohan are back, at a minimum. I'd be happy to see Narkle get a run in his place this weekend. And they could give Jarvis another game, I suppose. But they've both also had limited footy so far this year, even at the lower level.

And, outside of those two, I don't think anyone is fit or ready to play in the ones from the mix of players on the list who would fit with Dahl's role. So it's hardly as glaring an issue as some are making out here.

Put it this way, he's not keeping anyone out of the line-up who is 'banging the door down', Max Holmes style, right now.

if you want turnover scores from the Dees butchered kicks then it would have to move quickly wouldn't it? You cant get a turnover score from chipping it around slowly.
We don’t. We score from fwd stoppage resets and clearances. Everyone scores from turnovers but that’s hardly our one wood. We can survive without them but it’s highly unlikely they win unless they have 65-70 inside 50s. The more we have the ball the less time they have to get to that number. We have yet to crack the low 50’s in that stat and can still win.

If we hold them to around 55 inside 50s or have an equal number there is an extremely high chance we will have won the game.

Scott's car is looking suspiciously shiny last few weeks...:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back