Remove this Banner Ad

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
People on here overreact to the extreme far too often over a sport. People on here get far too angry at others simply for supporting another team, people just take this all way too seriously. It's a sport, it's about fun, it's not that serious people. When your club loses it's not the end of the world and it's not like your life is over, when you win, your life changes in no way.

Bring the Father/Mother-Son/Daughter eligibility down dramatically (e.g. 10 games qualification) and scrap the weird system where certain WAFL/SANFL teams are allocated to each of the WA/SA clubs.

A child playing for the same club as their parent is a cool thing the AFL has but it needs to be just as possible for a child of a GWS/GCS/FRE/WCE player as it is a 1897 VFL club. The bidding system will sort the clubs out from stocking up on a good batch of children [like Geelong and Hawthorn may be looking at in the next 10-15 years].

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Bring the Father/Mother-Son/Daughter eligibility down dramatically (e.g. 10 games qualification) and scrap the weird system where certain WAFL/SANFL teams are allocated to each of the WA/SA clubs.

A child playing for the same club as their parent is a cool thing the AFL has but it needs to be just as possible for a child of a GWS/GCS/FRE/WCE player as it is a 1897 VFL club. The bidding system will sort the clubs out from stocking up on a good batch of children [like Geelong and Hawthorn may be looking at in the next 10-15 years].

for one, I don’t think genetics often have a lot to do with it. Absolutely growing up around the game and being exposed to it at a high level at an early age do, but physically I don’t think Corey enright’s kid is any more likely than mine to be a gun afl player.

secondly the only clubs who are up against it at the moment are Fremantle and Port. West coast have been around long enough that their first generation of champions can have kids old enough to play league footy. Port and Fremantle not so much. The two expansion clubs need no help from father son drafts as they’ve had More than enough concessions as it is

fu** all draft concessions off and have a proper draft. No f/s and no academies. Kids make your own destiny

Totally agree, but being realistic, it won't happen [in the foreseeable future at least]

for one, I don’t think genetics often have a lot to do with it. Absolutely growing up around the game and being exposed to it at a high level at an early age do, but physically I don’t think Corey enright’s kid is any more likely than mine to be a gun afl player.

secondly the only clubs who are up against it at the moment are Fremantle and Port. West coast have been around long enough that their first generation of champions can have kids old enough to play league footy. Port and Fremantle not so much. The two expansion clubs need no help from father son drafts as they’ve had More than enough concessions as it is

Fair point re genetics. I more think this is an issue with AFLW now thrown in the mix too. Should just make it the same rules for both comps and genders. Occasionally good players come along who are the kids of AFL talent but aren't eligible for [currently] Dad's club for whatever reason. If we want this 'romantic' notion of families at the same club may as well make it easier to happen [plus more of a bidding war for multiple club players e.g. Tim Kelly's kids would be eligible for Geelong and West Coast under a different system]

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Totally agree, but being realistic, it won't happen [in the foreseeable future at least]

Fair point re genetics. I more think this is an issue with AFLW now thrown in the mix too. Should just make it the same rules for both comps and genders. Occasionally good players come along who are the kids of AFL talent but aren't eligible for [currently] Dad's club for whatever reason. If we want this 'romantic' notion of families at the same club may as well make it easier to happen [plus more of a bidding war for multiple club players e.g. Tim Kelly's kids would be eligible for Geelong and West Coast under a different system]
I don't know about never. Eddie McGuire is on board, so it could happen.

F/S puts unnecessary pressure on kids as clubs can literally breed a footballer.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I want GWS to win the flag, because the quicker it happens the sooner we will see the academies restricted.

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree with Clarko that to reduce congestion and increase scoring the number of players on the field should be reduced to 15 or 16. It's the simplest rule change to implement.

I also think quarters go too long, this is particularly apparent when I'm watching a game that my team is not involved in, i.e. when I don't have a vested interest. I think 15 minutes plus time on would be good.

Outside of the actual football I barely care about footy. I don't give a rats about any club media, TV shows about footy, radio shows about footy or what flogs like Cornes or Dangerfield say. My interest if from the start of the quarter to the end of the quarter and thats it.

Last edited:

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
fu** all draft concessions off and have a proper draft. No f/s and no academies. Kids make your own destiny

There is a deeply ingrained preference in the AFL to complicate and obfuscate these things to the great detriment of the process. It is difficult to tell why. I am guessing that it is a subconscious effort to make relevant the input of non players who feel left out and somewhat impotent due to the fact that they never got a game as a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
The romance of a father and son playing at the same club is pretty awesome. The Silvagnis and Abbletts is special.

However it does make the league unbalanced and isn't really a fair way to do things, no other league in the world does it. Romance is nice but it's a professional football league, not a soapy. If a player is a gun a club shouldn't get dibs just because there Dad played there 20 years ago.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The romance of a father and son playing at the same club is pretty awesome. The Silvagnis and Abbletts is special.

However it does make the league unbalanced and isn't really a fair way to do things, no other league in the world does it. Romance is nice but it's a professional football league, not a soapy. If a player is a gun a club shouldn't get dibs just because there Dad played there 20 years ago.

If the club wants the romance behind it then move up the draft to get said player.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Freo/WCE want more primetime games, they should lobby the AFL to make Sunday Night their own timeslot on FTA (negotiate with Ch7 to show it, or Fox to sell a game to Ch9/Ch10). 4.40pm local time is played in the eastern states all the time on Sundays and crowds still show up (Geelong has one in Rd5).

4.40pm local time would be 6.40pm on the eastern states and perfect for after the news.

North Melbourne led from the front when trying Friday Nights and it worked. Time to try something new rather than whinge.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
If Freo/WCE want more primetime games, they should lobby the AFL to make Sunday Night their own timeslot on FTA (negotiate with Ch7 to show it, or Fox to sell a game to Ch9/Ch10). 4.40pm local time is played in the eastern states all the time on Sundays and crowds still show up (Geelong has one in Rd5).

4.40pm local time would be 6.40pm on the eastern states and perfect for after the news.

North Melbourne led from the front when trying Friday Nights and it worked. Time to try something new rather than whinge.

as they are foxtel only games (outside of WA) and on 7 in WA, it should be 630pm perth time after the news and 830 EST on foxtel.
i know that there are a lot of country people tho that go to perth for footy and getting home that late on a sunday nigt would be hard.

the other option is to shift the foxtel only sunday arvo game to a genuine friday night game at optus, starting 740 perth time and 940 melb time.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
as they are foxtel only games (outside of WA) and on 7 in WA, it should be 630pm perth time after the news and 830 EST on foxtel.
i know that there are a lot of country people tho that go to perth for footy and getting home that late on a sunday nigt would be hard.

the other option is to shift the foxtel only sunday arvo game to a genuine friday night game at optus, starting 740 perth time and 940 melb time.
I know it's currently a Fox produced game. I'm talking about changing it to a proper FTA game. Fox has the ability to onsell one of their games to FTA nationally. They could do this for WA Sunday games.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Posted this elsewhere

I like odd number of teams and a weekly bye.
i want tasmania as team 19 in. But thats all.
why do we need 20 teams, just do 19.

odd number of teams is fine and a bye each week rather than 3 weeks of byes mid year like now is better.

when doing the fixture, the AFL can schedule the team to have the bye in last round of the next year as the wooden spooner from the year before (as going from wooden spoon to finals is rare (if ever happened?)) and the second last team has the bye in round 1.

9 games a week. tassie finally in. make season 18 games - play everyone once.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC

Interesting concept but the AFL don’t understand time zones. During the hub games last year, they were playing double headers first in WA, then in Brisbane so both crowds had to skip work to watch. It’s like they were jealous.

Do you consider Saturday night as a prime time game? Only really stand alone Friday night games get that status, maybe Thursday too. So it wouldn’t be the solution for WA you are thinking, just a way to make sure Vic teams don’t get that unwanted slot.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you consider Saturday night as a prime time game? Only really stand alone Friday night games get that status, maybe Thursday too. So it wouldn’t be the solution for WA you are thinking, just a way to make sure Vic teams don’t get that unwanted slot.
There are two games on a Saturday night, so you split your audience straight away. Saturday night is also a traditional deadzone for TV ratings. That's the difference.

Sunday night is the night to be on TV. As a supporter, I'd love Geelong to be on TV on Sunday night FTA straight after the news. My issue is that it sucks for crowds. 7pm Sunday is too late, 4.40pm we have in rd 5 is fine though, because that'll finish at about 7.30pm which isn't too late. Foxtel will tell you that those 6pm/7pm Sunday night games rate through the roof compared to any game on Saturday.

5pm on a Thursday/Friday night works against scheduling them in WA, so they should let it work in their favour for scheduling it on a Sunday.

Thursday Night, Friday Night and Sunday Night could all be massive prime time games if the AFL had the balls to schedule them every week and commit to it.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
There are two games on a Saturday night, so you split your audience straight away. Saturday night is also a traditional deadzone for TV ratings. That's the difference.

Sunday night is the night to be on TV. As a supporter, I'd love Geelong to be on TV on Sunday night FTA straight after the news. My issue is that it sucks for crowds. 7pm Sunday is too late, 4.40pm we have in rd 5 is fine though, because that'll finish at about 7.30pm which isn't too late. Foxtel will tell you that those 6pm/7pm Sunday night games rate through the roof compared to any game on Saturday.

5pm on a Thursday/Friday night works against scheduling them in WA, so they should let it work in their favour for scheduling it on a Sunday.

Thursday Night, Friday Night and Sunday Night could all be massive prime time games if the AFL had the balls to schedule them every week and commit to it.

Friday Night Double Headers. Start the first game on the Eastern Seaboard slightly earlier and start the game in Perth at a later than normal start time in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back