Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
buddy is still more exciting to watch than everyone bar, like dustin martin. it just kinda goes with the territory of being only one of like 3 players from his generation who should be a HOF legend and who is currently chasing an achievement that could well never been seen again, and who is making a comeback after a year on the sidelines
wasn't that exciting tonight

or was that just me?

Tom Morris is a special sort of dull.

Buddy the most watchable in the AFL still?
spell me pls d***head.

Nik Cox was better to watch in that game, let alone some of the top guns in the comp at the moment.
He's a lovely guy actually and gets really excited by sport in general.

wasn't that exciting tonight

or was that just me?

i mean, the headlines currently read:

Guess who? Franklin haunts Bombers again as Swans go 4-0 (9fax)
You Buddy beauty: Superstar seals thrilling win to keep Swans unbeaten (afl)
(can't see a News Ltd match report yet)

so he's still grabbing the headlines. he's the one who gets the attention, hence the "most watchable" exciting, etc. Anticipation is a key part of watchability and for now, it's Lance Franklin who people want to watch (unless of course you're playing against him). Over the course of the season, I suspect things will change as the novelty of actually seeing Franklin back after so long dies down, but for now, it seems an odd thing to even mention.

i mean, the headlines currently read:

Guess who? Franklin haunts Bombers again as Swans go 4-0 (9fax)
You Buddy beauty: Superstar seals thrilling win to keep Swans unbeaten (afl)
(can't see a News Ltd match report yet)

so he's still grabbing the headlines. he's the one who gets the attention, hence the "most watchable" exciting, etc. Anticipation is a key part of watchability and for now, it's Lance Franklin who people want to watch (unless of course you're playing against him). Over the course of the season, I suspect things will change as the novelty of actually seeing Franklin back after so long dies down, but for now, it seems an odd thing to even mention.
They probably wrote those articles before the first bounce and then subbed in a couple of minor details..

Left out the one where he only kicked 3.1 which is a pretty quiet game for him against us.

certainly the legacy is there.
He's at Ablett Jnr's level in the last 20 years for me.

Francis kept up with him tonight for large parts...Fair to say you aren't flying anymore at that stage.

He's well beyond Ablett Jr in my view.

There is 1 player in the last 25 years who has done what Buddy has, Lloyd, and he played the bulk of his career in an era that forwards still dominated. Buddy will join a group of about 10 players around the mark of 1000 and Coleman and Hudson who were freaks.

Kicking 1000 goals between 2005 and 2021 when the next best will end up with 600 to 700 and about 1 goal a game less is ridiculous.

It's Coleman levels of outlier.

By the time their careers are over not much will separate Gaz Jr, Danger, Fyfe and Judd. Dusty has probably surpassed. I've almost certainly left someone out of that group.

Every era 5-10 mids at this level.

Last edited:
He's well beyond Ablett Jr in my view.

There is 1 player in the last 25 years who has done what Buddy has, Lloyd, and he played the bulk of his career in an era that forwards still dominated. Buddy will join a group of about 10 players around the mark of 1000 and Coleman and Hudson who were freaks.

Kicking 1000 goals between 2005 and 2021 when the next best will end up with 600 to 700 and about 1 goal a game less is ridiculous.

It's Coleman levels of outlier.

By the time their careers are over not much will separate Gaz Jr, Danger, Fyfe and Judd. Dusty has probably surpassed. I've almost certainly left someone out of that group.

Every era 5-10 mids at this level.
Buddy aside, as i said he's top 2 for the last 20 years for me, little Gaz was a special player. Far beyond Judd, Danger and Fyfe (all stellar players) and still better than Dusty for me.

I can't split Ablett & Buddy for watchable/HOF levels of good.

There's a good bit of daylight between them and the others & Dusty is probably the only one who might get close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it possible that Franklin has the best resume of any modern but it's still probably a little underwhelming given his ability?

2 flags when he's basically always been on a contender, 8 x AA and 4x Coleman despite being the premier big man in the game for 15 years and being pretty durable.

Still not a great overhead mark either and never really has been, which is probably the most astounding part.

Is it possible that Franklin has the best resume of any modern but it's still probably a little underwhelming given his ability?

2 flags when he's basically always been on a contender, 8 x AA and 4x Coleman despite being the premier big man in the game for 15 years and being pretty durable.

Still not a great overhead mark either and never really has been, which is probably the most astounding part.
8x AA is impressive in itself.
How many of those are there?

Ablett is his only superior (just) this century.
8x AA, 2x flags.
2x Brownlow (one with a fledgling GCS, the other with a stacked Geelong team of stars)
5x AFLPA POTY
3x ALFCA POTY

8x AA, 2x flags.
2x Brownlow (one with a fledgling GCS, the other with a stacked Geelong team of stars)
5x AFLPA POTY
3x ALFCA POTY

Gaz (8 on the trot) amazingly his last was 2014, Danger, Ricciuto, Robert Harvey.

I just feel like the gap from Franklin to the chasing pack is probably not as big as it should be given his dominance

Gaz (8 on the trot) amazingly his last was 2014, Danger, Ricciuto, Robert Harvey.

I just feel like the gap from Franklin to the chasing pack is probably not as big as it should be given his dominance
I wouldn't have many of the chasing pack close to him
Dusty perhaps is getting there, but is he touching an 8x AA/2x Coleman medallist.

Danger 8 time.....that seems more than he's earned.

Interesting so soon after sacking a bunch of journos that they’re now hiring again...

The sackings were probably due to short term cash flow concerns rather than long term structural issues.

Now there's close to full attendance at games and other commercial arrangements seem to be getting back to normal it makes sense they'd return to their pre-covid staffing levels.

8x AA, 2x flags.
5x AFLPA POTY
3x ALFCA POTY

Gaz probably deserved 1, if not 2 more Brownlows. 2014 when Priddis won was 100% his except for injury, and he lost a number of years following that with injury interrupted seasons, costing him likely another Brownlow in that window somewhere, plus a few more AA sides.

Obscenely reliable player.

Going to be an interesting Freo side on Sunday. Fyfe, Logue, Crowden and Sturt probably come in along with Treacy as a debutant.

Ryan - Brennan - Hughes
Wilson - Logue - Chapman
Aish - Brayshaw - Acres
Frederick - Treacy - Mundy
Walters - Taberner - Darcy
Meek - Fyfe - Cerra
Giro - Serong - Conca - Sturt
Colyer

Pretty attractive side if you ask me. Good inside/outside balance, although maybe a touch tall up front. Put Lobb in that forward line and Hamling in that defence and they'd be pretty strong IMO.

Gaz probably deserved 1, if not 2 more Brownlows. 2014 when Priddis won was 100% his except for injury, and he lost a number of years following that with injury interrupted seasons, costing him likely another Brownlow in that window somewhere, plus a few more AA sides.

Obscenely reliable player.
Best i've seen since Hird
Buddy close second.

I hoped Geelong won the GF last year with him out there.

Going to be an interesting Freo side on Sunday. Fyfe, Logue, Crowden and Sturt probably come in along with Treacy as a debutant.

Ryan - Brennan - Hughes
Wilson - Logue - Chapman
Aish - Brayshaw - Acres
Frederick - Treacy - Mundy
Walters - Taberner - Darcy
Meek - Fyfe - Cerra
Giro - Serong - Conca - Sturt
Colyer

Pretty attractive side if you ask me. Good inside/outside balance, although maybe a touch tall up front. Put Lobb in that forward line and Hamling in that defence and they'd be pretty strong IMO.
good ruck depth too.
When all are fit, they can effectively choose a ruck line up to suit the game for that week.

Young & Schultz would replace Conca and Acres when fit.
And they have Henry to unleash yet.

good ruck depth too.
When all are fit, they can effectively choose a ruck line up to suit the game for that week.

Young & Schultz would replace Conca and Acres when fit.
And they have Henry to unleash yet.
The player you're thinking of is Switkowski, Schultz is a small forward to Conca and Acres' mid/def

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back