Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
I watched Caddy highlights from 2018 to remind myself of this today. He was basically a key forward for us until Lynch arrived.

The only way there's room for him to play his true role is if we use Lynch as second ruck or one of Jack or Lynch gets injured.
I don't know why he isn't used as a Papley type medium lead up target. He was in AA form playing that role then we decided we need 4 pressure forwards.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
I don't know why he isn't used as a Papley type medium lead up target. He was in AA form playing that role then we decided we need 4 pressure forwards.
I think it's more the fact that we can't play three marking targets (Jack, Lynch, Caddy) when none of them can have a turn in the ruck. It's leaves no room for Dusty to go forward and makes us slow and easy for teams to rebound against.

Back in 2017/18 when Caddy was playing as a marking forward we only had Jack down there and Grigg was our second ruck.

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
I think it's more the fact that we can't play three marking targets (Jack, Lynch, Caddy) when none of them can have a turn in the ruck. It's leaves no room for Dusty to go forward and makes us slow and easy for teams to rebound against.

Back in 2017/18 when Caddy was playing as a marking forward we only had Jack down there and Grigg was our second ruck.
I see your point but if we're of the opinion that our forward line setup is on-point currently we're kidding ourselves. The media talks up our forwards a fair bit but when you break it down we've got Lynch who is pretty easy to curtail by double even triple teaming, Jack who's an A grader but past his prime, George who is just starting to get his forward craft together and a handful of others who can go entire games virtually unsighted. If Dusty and the other mids aren't kicking goals we're in trouble because our forward line is mediocre at best and needs some evolution.
You only have to look to last week to see how well a forward line with multiple scoring options can work.

the underdog

Debutant
May 30, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Where will Jack Ross be deployed tonight?

The positional change last year to a Wing/ Half Back was a clear Failure as his ball use isn't up to scratch. In my opinion, the only position he can play is inside mid, so hopefully that's his go tonight in Prestia's absence.

Houli and Mansell to play back..
Pickett to move to a wing and play Kmac/ Caddy role..
Ross to play inside mid , replacing Prestia..
Martyn to rotate with Lambert/ Graham, all spending time forward (and mid) to replace Rioli going out of the side..

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Caddy was a dangerous forward. Not quick obviously but know how to lead and get in the right positions. He’s also a good Mark, good kick and strong. Embarrassing he’s out of the side and Aarts still gets a game.
I really want to know why we aren't playing him forward especially now the new rules really favour lead up marking forwards.

Where will Jack Ross be deployed tonight?

The positional change last year to a Wing/ Half Back was a clear Failure as his ball use isn't up to scratch. In my opinion, the only position he can play is inside mid, so hopefully that's his go tonight in Prestia's absence.

Houli and Mansell to play back..
Pickett to move to a wing and play Kmac/ Caddy role..
Ross to play inside mid , replacing Prestia..
Martyn to rotate with Lambert/ Graham, all spending time forward (and mid) to replace Rioli going out of the side..
Ross will be in the guts 100%

Mansell may take bakers spot half back and baker might go up on the wing with Pickett on the other
Not sure who else would go on the wing unless martyn is? 🤷‍♂️

the underdog

Debutant
May 30, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Ross will be in the guts 100%

Mansell may take bakers spot half back and baker might go up on the wing with Pickett on the other
Not sure who else would go on the wing unless martyn is? 🤷‍♂️

Baker must stay back to take one of their small forwards.. Butters, Rozee, Fantasia.

Lambert and Graham have both played plenty of footy on the wing.. and don't forget, Mr Fix It (Shedda) can do anything

Baker must stay back to take one of their small forwards.. Butters, Rozee, Fantasia.

Lambert and Graham have both played plenty of footy on the wing.. and don't forget, Mr Fix It (Shedda) can do anything
Yeah true, be interesting to see which way we god I hope we win, I hate port so much

May 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
People really still want Pickett in the side?

is it cos he “puts his head in the hole”?

we’ve got 43 blokes on the list that will do it. It’s not an act that awards him a spot in the side.

He kicks the ball like a bag of sand, doesn’t offer anything going forward and fumbles like all hell. He’s not good enough.

matt_y106

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2008
Vermont
AFL Club
Richmond
So pumped for tonight’s game. Will be watching it from a hospital bed, as my fiancé gave birth last night. Already signed up as a Richmond member before she was even registered as being born! Amelia Grace, Richmond’s youngest member.
d0c615b38b0f25a4f4c5ef98575073cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Remembered that. Pissed me off as much and it did dimma. Caddy can be such a handy player and he goes and does that sh*t. Really has to learn

His career's really at the crossroads, unfortunately, he's a valuable contributor at his best.

No doubt Dimma loves the aggressive elements of his game that so much mirror his own playing days, but Caddy keeps putting himself on the wrong side of the line between constructive hardness and dumb, overt agression - which seems to be stemming from frustration at his inability to impact the game at the level he'd like.

And his pressure acts are down 7 per game on last year's average. There's a reason the Swans were able to get uncontested marks up and down his wing.

Yep, maybe an injury through winter when the pace goes out of the game a bit will see a bit-role for him there again, but you'd suspect it would only be temporary.

You only have to look to last week to see how well a forward line with multiple scoring options can work.

Then last night it was straight back to 'kick it to Buddy' - with predictable end results. ;)

If they want to be contenders come September they'll need to get over assuming that he will take enough contested marks to make the amount of ball they funnel through him worthwhile.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
So pumped for tonight’s game. Will be watching it from a hospital bed, as my fiancé gave birth last night. Already signed up as a Richmond member before she was even registered as being born! Amelia Grace, Richmond’s youngest member.

Awesome, matt, congratulations! :thumbsu:

I remember that 'new dad' smile well - and the sore cheek muscles that go with it. ;)

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers

Congratulations Matt ! Fantastic news !

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Obviously got mum's hair .
Congrats, what a gift you've both been blessed with .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Congrats mate
Definitely not yours
She’s far to cute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back