Opinion Bailey Williams is better than number 1 pick - Andrew Mcgrath

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad shepperd is excellent.

Hawthorn are absolutely stacked in this area too. Will day, Jiath, Sicily.

Vlastuin is probably the master in this space.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I feel dirty saying this, but i think Sicily is the best player of that group. Plays a slightly different role to Williams - bigger, more incepting and less rebound i'd say

It's almost a shame that piece of play was so good - about 10 minutes earlier he saved us by taking the ball near the boundary line, conducting a half-blind turn then snapping the ball directly to Hunter. It was brilliant play and highlights how good his vision is. Because of that three on one, it's flown under the radar.
Yes, my viewing companion said "Lucky!" when the ball hit Hunter. I said "Skill. He meant that."

Huge get for the club.

It's interesting, there used to be a perception we had trouble retaining SA recruits (really only McGuinness and Koster, who both went home to a relatively new Crows concept). But even with Cooney, there was always a vibe (particularly on BF) that he would eventually "go home", less so with Griffen. Both ended up being 10-year 200-gamers. In the podcast on another thread, Daniel has basically stated he is looking to settle permanently in Melbourne (and playing his career with us), and now Williams recommits. Obviously they could always end up leaving at some stage, to SA or elsewhere, but we seem to pick the SA boys that hang around. Conversely, there were always strong rumours/vibes about Gibbs, and others. Even McMahon was viewed as a flight risk when first drafted - luckily he hung around long enough to turn into Ward, and then Macrae!

(I've left our some for obvious reasons - Darcy, while a South Australian by birth, was always effectively a Vic due to family connections, Lake in his early years re his sleep apnoea, etc seemed almost a charity case that we took him on going by some media commentary, Eagleton left a SA club to come to us, and Minson again had a strong Vic connection through his parents, and in one interview actually stated he considered himself a Vic anyway).

It's interesting, there used to be a perception we had trouble retaining SA recruits (really only McGuinness and Koster, who both went home to a relatively new Crows concept). But even with Cooney, there was always a vibe (particularly on BF) that he would eventually "go home", less so with Griffen. Both ended up being 10-year 200-gamers. In the podcast on another thread, Daniel has basically stated he is looking to settle permanently in Melbourne (and playing his career with us), and now Williams recommits. Obviously they could always end up leaving at some stage, to SA or elsewhere, but we seem to pick the SA boys that hang around. Conversely, there were always strong rumours/vibes about Gibbs, and others. Even McMahon was viewed as a flight risk when first drafted - luckily he hung around long enough to turn into Ward, and then Macrae!

(I've left our some for obvious reasons - Darcy, while a South Australian by birth, was always effectively a Vic due to family connections, Lake in his early years re his sleep apnoea, etc seemed almost a charity case that we took him on going by some media commentary, Eagleton left a SA club to come to us, and Minson again had a strong Vic connection through his parents, and in one interview actually stated he considered himself a Vic anyway).

Adelaide is a shithole compared to Melbourne, honestly.

Players are better off here and realise it pretty quickly. The go home factor is stronger with WA boys IMO.

Huge get for the club.

I have always liked players who sign on with minimum of fuss and don't use the media for posturing and drag things out etc etc.

Williams is one of those and he is a Jet of a player

I have seen nothing tonight to disabuse me of this notion.

One is AA quality- all Australian form

One is AA - almost anonymous

McGrath is happy to handball off to a teammate in confined quarters , whereas Williams would sell a truckload of candy , sprint into midfield and deftly find a forward target with a raking kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Dalrymple seems to be having an impact at Sydney.
Dalrymple is clearly very good at what he does but it's a seriously good gig at Sydney.

When a high percentage of your picks fall into your lap as high quality academy kids you have dibs on, recruiting talent must be pretty damn cushy.

Sammy is our list manager
Dom Milesi is our Recruiting Manager
Yes - and I am on the fence with Milesi.
Weightman and Butler are 'interesting' selections given talent/needs.
I really like McNeill though and think he might be one of those diamonds in the rough we've been missing out on by holding onto marginal players one year too long.

Yes - and I am on the fence with Milesi.
Weightman and Butler are 'interesting' selections given talent/needs.
I really like McNeill though and think he might be one of those diamonds in the rough we've been missing out on by holding onto marginal players one year too long.
Nick Austin was our Recruiting Manager in 2019 and he was the one that drafted Weightman and Butler

Went down a procrastination rabbit hole this morning while avoiding my school holiday marking and watched some of BW's pre-draft highlights. Time, poise, strength, skill, marking, it was all there.

He would make for a fascinating case study for how he slipped through the cracks and got to pick 48 - no SA u18's or AIS system invite - yet the skills and talent that he's got were clearly present.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/fcc1fc4deea5cb29e0f8eab83545d6aa

Found it very interesting in this article that he was undersized coming into his draft year. I subsequently looked it up and also found out that he has an October birthday (similar to Bont and Naughton in November) so perhaps that explains some of it in terms of late development but some of the innate traits he possesses should have been spotted by more people. Very thankful that Dalrymple and his staff did though :)

Went down a procrastination rabbit hole this morning while avoiding my school holiday marking and watched some of BW's pre-draft highlights. Time, poise, strength, skill, marking, it was all there.

He would make for a fascinating case study for how he slipped through the cracks and got to pick 48 - no SA u18's or AIS system invite - yet the skills and talent that he's got were clearly present.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/fcc1fc4deea5cb29e0f8eab83545d6aa

Found it very interesting in this article that he was undersized coming into his draft year. I subsequently looked it up and also found out that he has an October birthday (similar to Bont and Naughton in November) so perhaps that explains some of it in terms of late development but some of the innate traits he possesses should have been spotted by more people. Very thankful that Dalrymple and his staff did though :)

Dalrymple loved his SA smokies.

Dalrymple loved his SA smokies.
I know Dal had final say but I really wonder how much he had to do with identifying all the SA rookies we’ve taken, as it’s obviously been a hot spot for us later in the draft. I highly doubt he’s watching local SA footy every week, whoever were our local scouts over there have been doing a great job, I wonder if they’re still at the club? We’ve taken Sweet & McNeil from there since Dal left who both look great for rookie picks.

I know Dal had final say but I really wonder how much he had to do with identifying all the SA rookies we’ve taken, as it’s obviously been a hot spot for us later in the draft. I highly doubt he’s watching local SA footy every week, whoever were our local scouts over there have been doing a great job, I wonder if they’re still at the club? We’ve taken Sweet & McNeil from there since Dal left who both look great for rookie picks.

Sweet and McNeil were senior sanfl players though weren’t they? Not as obscure as Bailey or Voldemort.

I don’t know from his appearance on Callum Toomey’s podcast a few years ago it sounds like he watches a lot of games 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back