List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw out for Cerra doesn't really change anything. I am a Brayshaw critic but Cerra doesn't even play on the wing. Not worth the trade capital for what won't really be an upgrade.

Cerra plays both inside and outside mid, is quicker across the deck and is a better ball user than Gus. He’d be an upgrade no doubt.

Currently, 70% of Brayshaw's kicks inside 50 lead to a Dees score. That's the second best conversion rate in the league. He's a bit of a whipping boy around these parts but it's unwarranted in my view - he's sacrificing part of his game for the team and it's making us better than last year.

Currently, 70% of Brayshaw's kicks inside 50 lead to a Dees score. That's the second best conversion rate in the league. He's a bit of a whipping boy around these parts but it's unwarranted in my view - he's sacrificing part of his game for the team and it's making us better than last year.
I read that article and for somebody with an impressive stat like that, it was confusing to not see him feature in the top for kicks that resulted in a mark inside 50. I think that means he's making the right decisions but not hitting the target. Yeah?

I read that article and for somebody with an impressive stat like that, it was confusing to not see him feature in the top for kicks that resulted in a mark inside 50. I think that means he's making the right decisions but not hitting the target. Yeah?
Not necessarily. If he was consistently missing targets I think there'd be a lower percentage of those kicks that led to a score. To me it says that, regardless of whether our forwards mark the ball or not, he is putting the ball in a position for us to score, not to the advantage of key defenders or towards a situation where we are outnumbered.
The last few years this has been one of our biggest problems - ball in, ball straight back out. Better delivery + better pressure + better forward movement I think are all contributing to this being much better in 2021.

He doesn't play on the wing. Potentially annoying the playing group by forcing out a contracted player for a minor upgrade if that isn't worth it at all.

Why would improving the list (even with a so-called minor upgrade) “annoy” the playing group? You’re primary aim is to win premierships, not play with as many of your best mates as possible.

Why would improving the list (even with a so-called minor upgrade) “annoy” the playing group? You’re primary aim is to win premierships, not play with as many of your best mates as possible.

Shipping off players for minor upgrades is never a wise decision. Can destroy a playing groups trust in a hurry. Not to mention the chemistry players have built on the knowledge of each other game over multiple years.

Shipping off players for minor upgrades is never a wise decision. Can destroy a playing groups trust in a hurry. Not to mention the chemistry players have built on the knowledge of each other game over multiple years.

See my reply to schmutt above.

Dynastiess are built through the draft, not through trading.
I would say a bit of both but mainly through the draft. Richmond drafted a super crop like martin, cotchin, reiwaldt, rance then brought in some good players through trades like houli, grigg, caddy and prestia then finished their work through the draft with good role players. Though admittedly they did make a few trade blunders on the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bro it isn't so called, it is true. You've said he can play on the wing when he literally doesn't play there for Freo at all. Trading Brayshaw for a guy who doesn't even play on the wing would be so stupid.

I wouldn't think we would be looking at any big ticket free agents or trade targets after getting Lever, May and Ben Brown in recent years and having Trac and Ollie to resign ourselves.

I am expecting more money ball type trades and free agent approaches to pick up good young players who can't get a look in at their current team in a position we are weak in to try and get some more role players in areas we are lacking.

Seems odd to me that having traded in Langdon for a good price with much success to play on the wing, we would follow up with a significantly more costly trade to bring in a high price player with no winger credentials for the other wing?

Would love a Langdon-esque money ball pick to put in a back pocket.

We need a really strong, dour small back that can take the most dangerous forwards ala peak Nev.

I like Lockhart but not sure he's currently up to it and he's regularly out of the team. Bowie some years away and may not ever have the body strength to take on Danger/Dusty types up forward.

Salem and Rivers are more attacking half backs.

Would love a Langdon-esque money ball pick to put in a back pocket.

We need a really strong, dour small back that can take the most dangerous forwards ala peak Nev.

I like Lockhart but not sure he's currently up to it and he's regularly out of the team. Bowie some years away and may not ever have the body strength to take on Danger/Dusty types up forward.

Salem and Rivers are more attacking half backs.

Agree. Think this is the clear position where we need a successor or two, no guarantees on Lockhart and Bowey isn't a lockdown style player.

I get the concern but the strides Lockhart made as a defender in his first full time year doing it were pretty impressive. Fairly confident he has what it takes.

Also, don't forget my boy Joel Smith, just saying. 😉

I would say it's equally important.
All teams are built at the draft and finished at the trade table.

Your core comes from the draft. If you can't draft you wont attract the same amount of talent to trade for to win premierships.

True, I forget about Joel Smith.

In a well functioning defence he could play a role. He's super athletic, strong and can make multiple efforts.

Could play a purely negating role but not much else. Give Lockhart Smith's athletic profile and you'd have an excellent player.

I get the concern but the strides Lockhart made as a defender in his first full time year doing it were pretty impressive. Fairly confident he has what it takes.

Also, don't forget my boy Joel Smith, just saying. 😉
We need Joel Smith, he's the closest thing to Frosty we have. They're actually the same, just replace frosty's speed with Smith's vertical leap.

We need Joel Smith, he's the closest thing to Frosty we have. They're actually the same, just replace frosty's speed with Smith's vertical leap.

Strange thing is I never really liked Smith til about 18 months ago, but the amount of our supporters who would make him the scapegoat on anything that went wrong in defense was pretty unfair imo. He has brainfarts absolutely, but you can never doubt if he's having crack....out of pity came my love for him.

Plus he really isn't that bad as everyone imagines either. Like Stedy said, just give him a role he can do it, if you're relying on him for pinpoint passing and high iq decision making you're not understanding why he's in the team to begin with. The Giants game in the second last round last year demonstrated how valuable he can be, locked down both Cameron and Greene when he went to them at different times in the game. His flexibility to play on different opponents is something a lot of people don't give enough respect to.Its pretty uncommon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back