Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

No selection integrity = no future. Not surprised though - team selection has been an abject failure for the whole Buckley tenure

WHE finished as a player so too JT Josh Thomas.

Found David king's analysis pretty shallow. I would drop WHE this week as he has had 2 really bad matches in 3.

Still in the last plays of the game he was the only player who showed much urgency. Once the Sidebottom kick was marked he was on the mark so couldn't move. Once play on was called he tried to block the kick then sprinted to the centre corridor in our 50 to impact the next kick. Once that kick cleared the area he was our deepest player and was still working in anticipation of the contest up the ground spilling our way. He was way off being able to impact the Rich kick.

Thomas and Daics could have made more effort to block the corridor, Pendles was slow of foot and didn't push back hard but may have been spent and De G was the biggest culprit. He was involved in that contest but really made no more than a token defensive effort.

In the whole time of that last play WHE was the only Collingwood player who really got on his bike and sprinted to the next contest. After that he was well out of the play and not in a position to do any more
Yep. JDG did his standard trick of leaning towards our goals with the hope that the ball would somehow spill to him and he could head off to the races. Needs to be coached out of him.

How does Cal get dropped over WHE.

Cal for all his negatives ( kicking etc) his endeavour is more than WHE will ever be

Bucks is so clueless ,
Well my endeavour would be more than any of them if I was playing still doesn’t mean I should play if I can’t kick and not have a good football brain. I saw vision of training with coaches helping Cal to kick, now I’m sorry but he’s been in the system long enough he should have a good technique, he hasn’t. That’s why some players don’t get drafted. Imagine his name was Smith from nowhere, he would already be delisted at least I’d hope the club would.

Well my endeavour would be more than any of them if I was playing still doesn’t mean I should play if I can’t kick and not have a good football brain. I saw vision of training with coaches helping Cal to kick, now I’m sorry but he’s been in the system long enough he should have a good technique, he hasn’t. That’s why some players don’t get drafted. Imagine his name was Smith from nowhere, he would already be delisted at least I’d hope the club would.

My Nonna has endeavour , has a big heart, her surname is neither Brown nor Smith , but i back her every day of the week and twice on Sunday`s, kicks like a mule

Last edited:
Ever since he suffered that awkward leg/ groin injury after the 2018 season....has never been the same
Has lost all his weapons
Marking game has deserted him...his speed looks non existent
His goal scoring threat...gone
He looks like Jaidyn Stephenson and Nathan thought he was afraid of body contact...this guy is a clone without any upside at moment
It’s sad...I pray he rekindles his form but it’s been 2 and a bit years now post 2018...and there’s been no light at the end of the tunnel
He like JT look absolutely cooked
Passengers

Missed the point completely.

Hosk is an absolute pea heart. Give me a player that goes in and gets it and puts effort in. The issue on the weekend he wasnt doing anything to create pressure. 6 Disposals in a whole match for a player of his experience is pure laziness or he is past it.

When they are our only two options or an untired youngster. i know the order id be persevering with and it would be hosk at the end of the line

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFAAFSC
Round 3​
Apr 1​
4​
2​
6​
2​
0​
0​
1​
0​
1​
3​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
26​
21​
Round 2​
Mar 25​
11​
1​
12​
7​
1​
0​
3​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
74​
70​
Round 1​
Mar 19​
4​
8​
12​
2​
0​
0​
4​
0​
1​
1​
1​
5​
0​
0​
3​
41​
43​

Those stats are putrid for a 27 year old. No influence on games

Cal Browns isnt much better but id be running with him over Hosk every day of the week

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFAAFSC
Round 3​
Apr 1​
7​
5​
12​
5​
0​
1​
6​
0​
0​
2​
1​
1​
2​
1​
1​
69​
79​
Round 2​
Mar 25​
7​
4​
11​
6​
0​
1​
3​
0​
0​
3​
1​
1​
2​
1​
0​
61​
55​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what coins hes on?. If Phillips was on around 600,000 hoping he's not close to this. 2 more years on contract after this year apparently. Well done Collingwood management.
They re-signed Hoskin-Elliott on a long-term deal after his excellent 2018 season, though unfortunately he hasn't found that kind of form since. The deal runs out at the end of 2022, so he has the rest of this year and next year to turn things around. He will be 29 by late next season so he'll need to do a lot right to get another deal: Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott commit to new contracts (collingwoodfc.com.au)
1617934692165.png
1617934611887.png

They re-signed Hoskin-Elliott on a long-term deal after his excellent 2018 season, though unfortunately he hasn't found that kind of form since. The deal runs out at the end of 2022, so he has the rest of this year and next year to turn things around. He will be 29 by late next season so he'll need to do a lot right to get another deal: Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott commit to new contracts (collingwoodfc.com.au)
View attachment 1097768
View attachment 1097765
thanks mate

View attachment 1097768
View attachment 1097765

Yep, got his big contract then stopped giving a s**t.

Well done Collingwood

Yep, got his big contract then stopped giving a sh*t.

Well done Collingwood
It no doubt seemed like a reasonable move at the time. Hoskin-Elliott had just turned 25, had played every game in 2018 and kicked 42 goals in a team that went very close to winning a premiership. There should have been no reason not to think he would be a solid contributor for years to come. Crisp signed an even longer deal and continues to play well, so while the (WHE) move hasn't exactly paid off I'm not sure if the criticism is all that fair!

It no doubt seemed like a reasonable move at the time. Hoskin-Elliott had just turned 25, had played every game in 2018 and kicked 42 goals in a team that went very close to winning a premiership. There should have been no reason not to think he would be a solid contributor for years to come. Crisp signed an even longer deal and continues to play well, so while the (WHE) move hasn't exactly paid off I'm not sure if the criticism is all that fair!

WHE has played 1 good season in his entire career and they give him a big 4 year contract despite being a role player at best.

WHE has played 1 good season in his entire career and they give him a big 4 year contract despite being a role player at best.
Do we actually have any sort of an idea what kind of money he's on, or are people just guessing? It's a big contract in terms of it's length for sure, but they probably envisaged him continuing to kick a decent amount of goals (role player, or not) for some time to come. Unfortunately he hasn't done that, but if he had kept playing at his 2018 level and we had only signed him for a couple of years on modest money and he then went elsewhere we'd have been criticised for losing him!

I don't have him in my side this week FWIW, and would like to see him told he'll be playing VFL for the next month and that he needs to show something in that time before he'll be considered for senior selection again.

Cal can’t kick but I’d take that over WHE who can’t get near it at all.

Yep. JDG did his standard trick of leaning towards our goals with the hope that the ball would somehow spill to him and he could head off to the races. Needs to be coached out of him.
will cost us a flag someday....
oh wait

Found David king's analysis pretty shallow. I would drop WHE this week as he has had 2 really bad matches in 3.

Still in the last plays of the game he was the only player who showed much urgency. Once the Sidebottom kick was marked he was on the mark so couldn't move. Once play on was called he tried to block the kick then sprinted to the centre corridor in our 50 to impact the next kick. Once that kick cleared the area he was our deepest player and was still working in anticipation of the contest up the ground spilling our way. He was way off being able to impact the Rich kick.

Thomas and Daics could have made more effort to block the corridor, Pendles was slow of foot and didn't push back hard but may have been spent and De G was the biggest culprit. He was involved in that contest but really made no more than a token defensive effort.

In the whole time of that last play WHE was the only Collingwood player who really got on his bike and sprinted to the next contest. After that he was well out of the play and not in a position to do any more

Yep, and that's why he and the Cal Brown types keep getting picked. I'm not suggesting he had a great game against the Bears or in other games prior to GWS, just that his work rate is generally good. I think the GPS data would be very enlightening.

Yep, and that's why he and the Cal Brown types keep getting picked. I'm not suggesting he had a great game against the Bears or in other games prior to GWS, just that his work rate is generally good. I think the GPS data would be very enlightening.

Very fair analysis. Sometimes doesn't pass the eye test (no Glen Archer or Gavin Brown) but isn't as bad as some make out. Would love to see him back in form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back