Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I gather from the PM's press conference a few minutes ago that under 50's are not going to get the AstraZenica vaccine. Well good luck to them given there are no other vaccines available in this country. :rolleyes:
You'd assume they will order them. Obviously, when Pfizer can fulfil the order is a different matter.

The Pfizer vax isn't being blocked by Europe because they have been able to meet their orders.

I think it's going to take a while to get to the general public stage anyway.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You'd assume they will order them. Obviously, when Pfizer can fulfil the order is a different matter.

The Pfizer vax isn't being blocked by Europe because they have been able to meet their orders.

I think it's going to take a while to get to the general public anyway.

The demand for Pfizer will spike now as the eu and uk are also placing advisories re az.

It’s a balls up.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think it's going to take a while to get to the general public stage anyway.
From what I understand, it's extremely difficult to get other vaccines now on a new order.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are now doomed to remain in this whiplash of restrictions on and off for the next 12 months at least, with the international border to remain closed. There will be the inevitable leaks from quarantine, especially if this UK variant is the dominant strain being brought in. The vaccination rollout was woefully behind schedule as it is without this further constraint being added, we simply cannot get enough supply of the Pfizer vax into the country and none of the others are approved for use so that’s a mute point, too.
The international border is not closed to those who wish to leave for longer than 3 months and there are opportunities opening up to enter other countries. The key to entry or even boarding an international airline is being vaccinated, but this country has done precisely what I always knew it would - ensured that the vast majority of it's citizens will be among the last out of the starting gates in the international travel stakes.

We are now doomed to remain in this whiplash of restrictions on and off for the next 12 months at least, with the international border to remain closed. There will be the inevitable leaks from quarantine, especially if this UK variant is the dominant strain being brought in. The vaccination rollout was woefully behind schedule as it is without this further constraint being added, we simply cannot get enough supply of the Pfizer vax into the country and none of the others are approved for use so that’s a mute point, too.

Novavax is still on the cards but now looking a lot further away for Australia than the June timeframe that was being looked at a month or two ago.

I think at the end of the day a lot of the world will get jabbed with a Chinese vaccine. They're just about the only ones using a deactivated virus, which is what most of the successful vaccines we use are. Western companies aren't interested in this sort of vaccine though because Western governments have privatised their research facilities and deactivated virus vaccines are really bloody hard to copyright.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think at the end of the day a lot of the world will get jabbed with a Chinese vaccine. They're just about the only ones using a deactivated virus, which is what most of the successful vaccines we use are. Western companies aren't interested in this sort of vaccine though because Western governments have privatised their research facilities and deactivated virus vaccines are really bloody hard to copyright.

I’m going for the Russian one, hear it gives immunity to vodka

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Novavax is still on the cards but now looking a lot further away for Australia than the June timeframe that was being looked at a month or two ago.

This one is for you Kirby. Alas, your avatar passed away (well, not Comrade Dyatlov, but Paul Ritter)

Anyone know if the first 5 series of 'Friday Night Dinner' are available anywhere. ABC iview had series 6 but I watched them in a night.

I am still wondering why Moderna is never mentioned by the Chief Medical Officer nor this government. It is almost as if it doesn't exist.

Today on ABC24 the went through them all except Moderna. $$$?

As an aside ... .

I went to keep a friend company at a Warehouse sale yesterday and the queue was so long but the people in front and behind me were very friend so we chatted to keep ourselves occupied. I was amazed that in the heat few had water or drnk bottles. I brought two one for me and another for a firen but I gave one away to a woman with two small children.

One of the organisers came over and asked us to split as he was opening gates for better traffic management. I was the first in the breakup of the queue and there was a space of about three metres from the family in front. As the queue got closer and I rejoined the family in front, there was a young boy pushing a wheelchair with an older woman in the queue. He had pushed in and came from nowhere. I figured I won't make a scene as it is only two of them.

As we we getting closer to the door to go in, another 4 (one older man and 3 teen-age sons?) joined them. I thought to myself, no way am I going to let this happen so I just walked in front of them, as did the couple of families behind me as they twigged too. They never said a word in English but I got their message as they spoke Greek. I just ignored them.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am still wondering why Moderna is never mentioned by the Chief Medical Officer nor this government. It is almost as if it doesn't exist.

Today on ABC24 the went through them all except Moderna. $$$?
We had apparently already ordered 10 million Pfizer doses and it's claimed there isn't a supply problem. I can envisage a situation where many of the under 50's are fully vaccinated before the over 50's - the Pfizer jabs are 3 weeks apart, so if the vaccine numbers were to be here within the next 3 months even, and were immediately rolled out to under 50's, 5 mill might receive their jabs before the over 50's get their 2nd jab of AZ. I would be less than a happy camper if this were to occur, particularly as I would prefer the Pfizer anyway. I suspect that the next category of AZ vaccinations could be several months away. Shame I don't have a medical condition that could bump me up a category. I tried high blood pressure but the doc wasn't willing to declare me a sufferer. First time I have ever wished a debilitating condition on myself just so I would qualify for an early vaccine.

Regulatory approval for Moderna or Johnson and Johnson would take an eternity in this bureaucratic, safety obsessed country. Besides, I suspect the Feds want to get the cheapest drug in the market, and AZ costs far less than the rest. You get what you pay for in this life. It's like getting a Honda Jazz instead of a BMW.

We had apparently already ordered 10 million Pfizer doses and it's claimed there isn't a supply problem. I can envisage a situation where many of the under 50's are fully vaccinated before the over 50's - the Pfizer jabs are 3 weeks apart, so if the vaccine numbers were to be here within the next 3 months even, and were immediately rolled out to under 50's, 5 mill might receive their jabs before the over 50's get their 2nd jab of AZ. I would be less than a happy camper if this were to occur, particularly as I would prefer the Pfizer anyway. I suspect that the next category of AZ vaccinations could be several months away. Shame I don't have a medical condition that could bump me up a category. I tried high blood pressure but the doc wasn't willing to declare me a sufferer. First time I have ever wished a debilitating condition on myself just so I would qualify for an early vaccine.

Regulatory approval for Moderna or Johnson and Johnson would take an eternity in this bureaucratic, safety obsessed country. Besides, I suspect the Feds want to get the cheapest drug in the market, and AZ costs far less than the rest. You get what you pay for in this life. It's like getting a Honda Jazz instead of a BMW.

Try 500 grams of salt a day.

I have high blood pressure and take medication (Atenolol). I also take a blood thinner, no-one has me on their list for an early vaccine.
Not sure I am happy taking the AZ vaccine.

Not even an option to pay more for vaccine of my choice.

In fairness, AZ isn't cheapest because it's inferior. It's cheapest because it's not for profit and easier to make and store. The others are all very much about profit and there was no reason to assume they were going to be any better when these deals were signed.

The whole thing is really pissing me off. Western governments are no longer willing to run programs for greater good - like medical research - so they privatise these companies and then give big rebates and grants to encourage research. We then end up with these privatised companies only looking for things that will make a profit. Hence all the research into new types of vaccines that can be copyrighted, rather than looking for the type of vaccine that has worked in the past for other diseases - because those vaccines can't really be copyrighted. Then to top it all off, western governments are only willing to look at new vaccines, because the traditional style ones are made in countries that we don't trust, whereas we have faith in these for profit western companies - despite the abundance of scandals. It's bullshit and frankly I don't blame the anti-vaxxers for not trusting the system - even though I think they're completely wrong.

Good Horse

Cancelled
Collingwood - Caleb Poulter Player Sponsor 2022 Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020
Sep 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone know if the first 5 series of 'Friday Night Dinner' are available anywhere. ABC iview had series 6 but I watched them in a night.

Stan if you have a subscription. To buy on Google play.

If not, you might try googling Friday Night Dinner Season 1 Dailymotion and got from there

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have high blood pressure and take medication (Atenolol). I also take a blood thinner, no-one has me on their list for an early vaccine.

It's one of the medical conditions that enable you to get an early vaccine so you should look into it. I think it's just a matter of booking an appointment then declaring your condition when you turn up for the appointment. I understand they have access to your medicare records so they should be able to check.

The Pfizer we have ordered won't be available until the fourth quarter, meaning not everyone is going to be vaccinated by October, nor are pimply faced youths going to be done before me. Many under 50's, who I assume are health workers and such like, were turned away from their booked appointments today, so it seems a choice is not being offered.

Like you, Maggie 5, I would happily pay for a vaccine but nothing like that is on offer. What with quarantine leaks and this vaccine fiasco, we look like rank amateurs in some respects while scoring well on the restrictions and lockdowns that only require asserting control over populations and enforcing compliant behaviour. For all our pedantic fussing over covid figures, shutting up shop at the hint of a sniffle in another state, we will probably be watching as vaccinated countries open up to the world, all because of choosing to go exclusively with one vaccine, then bowing to pressure to exclude the under 50's from taking it. I at least think the choice should have been offered, though every under 50 yr old who is knocked back now will be helping to bring forward the vaccination dates of the over 50's.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stan if you have a subscription. To buy on Google play.

If not, you might try googling Friday Night Dinner Season 1 Dailymotion and got from there
Or take up a one month trial of Stan which I intended to do during lockdown but didn't. Binge watch Friday Night Dinner and Let's Call Saul series that I haven't seen then cancel. Though I will try Dailymotion first.

Guess IF you don't want to take the AZ Vaccine that could be on a Long Waiting List for the Pfizer Vaccine.

Though you being on Blood Thinners would Lessen the Chance of getting Clots as Blood Thinners suppose to Stop them?

Where can you pay to get a Vaccine in Australia?

It's one of the medical conditions that enable you to get an early vaccine so you should look into it. I think it's just a matter of booking an appointment then declaring your condition when you turn up for the appointment. I understand they have access to your medicare records so they should be able to check.

The Pfizer we have ordered won't be available until the fourth quarter, meaning not everyone is going to be vaccinated by October, nor are pimply faced youths going to be done before me. Many under 50's, who I assume are health workers and such like, were turned away from their booked appointments today, so it seems a choice is not being offered.

Like you, Maggie 5, I would happily pay for a vaccine but nothing like that is on offer. What with quarantine leaks and this vaccine fiasco, we look like rank amateurs in some respects while scoring well on the restrictions and lockdowns that only require asserting control over populations and enforcing compliant behaviour. For all our pedantic fussing over covid figures, shutting up shop at the hint of a sniffle in another state, we will probably be watching as vaccinated countries open up to the world, all because of choosing to go exclusively with one vaccine, then bowing to pressure to exclude the under 50's from taking it. I at least think the choice should have been offered, though every under 50 yr old who is knocked back now will be helping to bring forward the vaccination dates of the over 50's.
This government has really stuffed up. Heard today that of the original 10 million Pfizer order we have only received 1 million so good luck getting 20 million in October.

Guess IF you don't want to take the AZ Vaccine that could be on a Long Waiting List for the Pfizer Vaccine.

Though you being on Blood Thinners would Lessen the Chance of getting Clots as Blood Thinners suppose to Stop them?

Where can you pay to get a Vaccine in Australia?
I have no idea Dave, think I will just wait it out.

You misunderstood, you can't pay to get a vaccine even if you wanted to. It isn't like getting a script from your doctor.

This government has really stuffed up. Heard today that of the original 10 million Pfizer order we have only received 1 million so good luck getting 20 million in October.

I have no idea Dave, think I will just wait it out.

You misunderstood, you can't pay to get a vaccine even if you wanted to. It isn't like getting a script from your doctor.

Well when I went to the Doctor the Day before I had my AZ Jab he said that the Walfrin will help limit my Chances of Getting Clots.

So then you would Happy pay for the Vaccine IF you could Choose which one?

SnakePlisskin

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has anyone heard about us trading the vaccine we’re producing for the Pfizer one from the US ? I was told this today .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back