Mod. Notice Negativity Towards the Club and Personal Attacks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi legends,

We want to clarify our position about the negativity that has inundated this board and the personal attacks that seem to follow as a result. The mods are posters too and we have found that this has affected our own enjoyment of our online community.

It's perfectly reasonable to criticise the club, heaven knows they've done their best to give us reasons. :) Salary cap, selection, recruiting, game plan... the list goes on. As passionate supporters we want to discuss our views which may not always be favourable.

Having said that, there are posters that will take pot-shots at the club no matter what the topic of discussion is. They disappear after a win only to show up with the same bile after a loss. They never balance that with any praise for a player or any enjoyment from seeing Collingwood do well.

That type of poster will face a different experience on this board from now on. This serves as fair notice.

We need to tackle this as a community, so it's perfectly valid for others to call this behaviour out without insulting or attacking the poster in question. This brings us to the second part of this post.

Buying into tiffs between other posters by saying "What would you expect poster X is a flog", is not on; it isn't helpful at all and just leads to further conflict.

This forum has been a part of my life since 2010 (I lurked for a year) and it has been an amazing resource. It's up to us to set the tone and the standard.

Cheers,
J for and on behalf of the mod. team

Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:

So this is another outcome of the new stand on the mark rule?

There is a strong belief that this board needs its own Mark rule, standing on him is only part of the solution.

There is a strong belief that this board needs its own Mark rule, standing on him is only part of the solution.

You can understand that I've been traumatised in recent weeks by all the joy about "standing on the Mark". I would hope that the local one recognises that some Marks don't need to be stood on.

You can understand that I've been traumatised in recent weeks by all the joy about "standing on the Mark". I would hope that the local one recognises that some Marks don't need to be stood on.

We're all very aware of your vulnerability and sensitivity Mark. This is why we're so delicate with you.

Good on you Jathanas and the rest of the Mods team!
Good to see the custodians of this board draw a line in the sand. Some of our posters have been getting away with their rubbish for far too long.
If the mods follow through then this will make participating in these forums much more enjoyable for all fair dinkum Collingwood supporters.

Over the top negativity is annoying but so long as posters aren't abusive they should be free to be as negative as they want. Who decides what is too negative? People are free to ignore them or point out where they are wrong.
This is getting into that grey area of restricting people's voices if they don't toe the line.
Some of you have never been at the Yarra Falls end of Vic Park if you think there's too much be negativity on this forum. 🙂

Last edited:
Over the top negativity is annoying but so long as posters aren't abusive they should be free to be as negative as they want. Who decides what use too negative? People are free to ignore them or point out where they are wrong.
This is getting into that grey area of restricting people's voices if they don't toe the line.
Some of you have never been at the Yarra Falls end of Vic Park if you think there's too much be negativity on this forum. 🙂

I'd encourage you to reread the OP. It offers a pretty good example of what behaviour is "too negative" and the type of posters who should consider this fair warning.

Over the top negativity is annoying but so long as posters aren't abusive they should be free to be as negative as they want. Who decides what use too negative? People are free to ignore them or point out where they are wrong.
The bolded I disagree with. I've been on this board for some years now and I am absolutely tired of posters who will almost without fail take a negative viewpoint against the club and stick the boots in, no matter what. It's one thing to engage in honest critiques, but it's another to harp on about the same negative rubbish against the club, its players and coaches, day after day, regardless of what the discussion at hand happens to be about.

I've come to recognise those posters and I can pretty reliably predict what their viewpoint will be even before I read the post.

At first I would call some of these posters out, and openly question whether they were in fact fair dinkum Collingwood supporters, or opposition trolls. But that got me nowhere - said posters would swear their allegiance to the club but say they had a right to criticise, and tag me as a member of the Sunshine & Lollipops Brigade.

They might have a point, except you just know that they are fake when 90% + of their posts are hyper-critical of the club, its coaches, its players or its President. Said posters seem to do just enough in terms of balancing their posts with a sprinkle of positive posts, praising players or acts of courage from the players, but such posts are usually one-liners and I suspect that this is a tactic just so they won't draw the ire of the Mods and cop a ban.

This type of posting detracts from the enjoyment of the board for fair-minded Collingwood supporters, and it is high time the Mods took a stand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bolded I disagree with. I've been on this board for some years now and I am absolutely tired of posters who will almost without fail take a negative viewpoint against the club and stick the boots in, no matter what. It's one thing to engage in honest critiques, but it's another to harp on about the same negative rubbish against the club, its players and coaches, day after day, regardless of what the discussion at hand happens to be about.

I've come to recognise those posters and I can pretty reliably predict what their viewpoint will be even before I read the post.

At first I would call some of these posters out, and openly question whether they were in fact fair dinkum Collingwood supporters, or opposition trolls. But that got me nowhere - said posters would swear their allegiance to the club but say they had a right to criticise, and tag me as a member of the Sunshine & Lollipops Brigade.

They might have a point, except you just know that they are fake when 90% + of their posts are hyper-critical of the club, its coaches, its players or its President. Said posters seem to do just enough in terms of balancing their posts with a sprinkle of positive posts, praising players or acts of courage from the players, but such posts are usually one-liners and I suspect that this is a tactic just so they won't draw the ire of the Mods and cop a ban.

This type of posting detracts from the enjoyment of the board for fair-minded Collingwood supporters, and it is high time the Mods took a stand.
I like to call them closet Carlton supporters

Well I guess that's me then jathanas Maggie5 Anzacday Gone Critical

I've been one of the loudest in criticising the club, I don't want to but they leave me no choice, the last 10 years and basically throughout the 2nd half of its life it has drawn criticism upon itself. All through perpetual stupidity.

It's really sad that we've got to a point where you've had to post a thread about banning negativity toward the club, pot shotting other posters - sure I don't delve into that. But gagging negativity toward the club - when they more than deserve it, is a bit much for mine.

I'll continue dishing up warranted criticism until such time as you feel the need to gag me. I won't take it personally I'll just view it as the rules on BF are flawed. This is after all a forum where we can rightfully vent on how the club seems hell bent on self inflicting harm and damaging its chances at success in perpetuity.

:( :'(

Not quite sure how to react to this. I’m hoping that certain toxic posters take note and pull their heads in and that criticism of the club is not used as a bat to attack us who will constantly call out the club for poor decisions.

I think the recent trend of negativity just reflects what’s occurred at the club in the last several months and the realisation that big changes are needed at board, footy dept and team level.

I think if we went back to the 2nd half of 2018 or early 2019 we would find that the posts were more positive overall with a lot of enthusiasm and optimism for Collingwood players, coach and president.

Rather than censorship I’d encourage individual posters to tailor their own feeds so they get the Collingwood Bigfooty experience they want.

If they don’t want to hear negativity then block the overly negative people.

If they don’t want to deal with some of the right fighter argumentative types on here... block them

For the most part I think the to-and-fro is good reading. There are a lot of decent opinions on here that educate the reader

Those of you that are concerned about jathanas post should perhaps re-read his post, in particular the following:

It's perfectly reasonable to criticise the club, heaven knows they've done their best to give us reasons. :) Salary cap, selection, recruiting, game plan... the list goes on. As passionate supporters we want to discuss our views which may not always be favourable.

Having said that, there are posters that will take pot-shots at the club no matter what the topic of discussion is.

I have had some pretty good discussions with posters that I disagree with the most recent with Carringbush2010 I don't believe it ever got heated nor personal.

Some posts however are over the top and repetitive. For example how many Buckley threads do we really need?

Recently I reheard an interview with Travis Cloke on SEN and he described how hurtful comments on social media were and how it affected his mental well being when he left to go to the Bulldogs. It was quite sad. Perhaps we need to keep this in mind when we post.

But all you have to do is ignore them. You know who they are. Don't read their posts. This modern day desire to ban, censor and block people and views you find offensive or negative is a terrible way to deal with opposing views and attitudes.
As I said, what one person calls negative another may view as simply honest and accurate criticism. When you allow a moderator to enforce this policy based upon their own subjective views, we are stepping into dangerous territory.
I know it's simply a footy forum, but outside of nasty, personal abuse, people should be free t o write what they want.
If those who find such views negative and annoying simply ignore them how is this a problem?

Those of you that are concerned about jathanas post should perhaps re-read his post, in particular the following:

Having said that, there are posters that will take pot-shots at the club no matter what the topic of discussion is.

I have had some pretty good discussions with posters that I disagree with the most recent with Carringbush2010 I don't believe it ever got heated nor personal.

Some posts however are over the top and repetitive. For example how many Buckley threads do we really need?

Recently I reheard an interview with Travis Cloke on SEN and he described how hurtful comments on social media were and how it affected his mental well being when he left to go to the Bulldogs. It was quite sad. Perhaps we need to keep this in mind when we post.
I agree, if the posts are personally abusive. I often expressed my frustration over Cloke's inability to kick goals a 12 year old could nail when he was on huge money. I'm sure that would have hurt his feelings too. Should that comment be banned or off limits?
If you are a public figure earning big bucks , criticism is to be expected.
He almost cost us a flag with his inability to kick goals from 20 m out .
His career made him a wealthy man at a young age so he has to take the good with the bad.

Last edited:

Agree with everything the mods are trying to do tidying up this forum and improving the quality of debate.

Don’t agree with your last part about social media though. Firstly players shouldn’t be coming on here, and secondly they get paid to be in the public eye. If you don’t want to read feedback from fans then don’t use social media.

I agree, if the posts are personally abusive. I often expressed my frustration over Cloke's inanity to kick goals a 12 year old could nail when he was on huge money. I'm sure that would have hurt his feelings too. Should that comment be banned or off limits?
If you are a public figure earning big bucks , criticism is to be expected.
He almost cost us a flag with his inability to kick goals from 20 m out .
His career made him a wealthy man at a young age so he has to take the good with the bad.

I must admit that i liked your logic in a recent discussion " You are genuinely unhinged. " Or a similar argument that you used " Oddballs, types like yourself looking to cast men as victims- a special sort of ridiculousness. Deranged collection of loons. What's wrong with you? "

I could go on but your precise technical exploration of topics is legendary......

But all you have to do is ignore them. You know who they are. Don't read their posts. This modern day desire to ban, censor and block people and views you find offensive or negative is a terrible way to deal with opposing views and attitudes.
As I said, what one person calls negative another may view as simply honest and accurate criticism. When you allow a moderator to enforce this policy based upon their own subjective views, we are stepping into dangerous territory.
I know it's simply a footy forum, but outside of nasty, personal abuse, people should be free t o write what they want.
If those who find such views negative and annoying simply ignore them how is this a problem?
I realise that there is the option to ignore, but why should I have to do that?

Ignoring another poster is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears when someone else is talking, and saying "La la la...can't hear you"

For me, ignoring another poster doesn't cut it, because I will still know that they're posting their vitriol and bile, potentially infecting others with their negative views and generally trying to bring the place down.

Better to weed them out altogether I say.

I don't believe that the moderators are trying to censor any negative or club-critical views, not at all. What they're trying to tackle is posters who predominantly (say 85% of the time) sprout these views, almost as a default position it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back