Not open for further replies.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
Injury probably saves him

Their was worse than him tonight but the charge into the Essendon player is what I would remove him for as all that could have come of that was a 50 to the bombers and a goal. Costly stuff that I don’t want to see same as Mills late but his form is obviously different.

It was a handball, there is no physical way that can be called a 50. A free yes, which it was given but it can’t be a 50.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was a handball, there is no physical way that can be called a 50. A free yes, which it was given but it can’t be a 50.

Good call thought it was a marking contest

I really thought more of you would be Sydney beaches boys and girls, but obviously not, so I'll give you the tip...

Any where from Maroubra to Palm beach (ie from Botany Bay to Hawkesbury River) where there is a wide expanse of uncovered grass within 10kms of the coast, starts collecting dew from just after dark. By 8.30 - 9.00 pm, sitting on the ground guarantees that you are wet through to your skin, regardless of what you are wearing. If you are playing sport, then the grass and ball are as wet as they would be if you were playing in an ongoing light shower... as are your boots and socks!

When Horse says that it was a bit slippery out there, with a bit of dew about... you need to consider the source. He's the same bloke that said Sam Reid played well on Thursday, had a nice game...

EDIT: Apologies, should have read on... just saw that Donza has already explained how damp it was :)

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm usually pretty happy with what Reid puts out. You know he's going to miss his set shots half the time and you know he's going to drop easy marks half the time. If you come to terms with these two things then it's easy to see all his other benefits to the team. He's a great contested mark, he works hard off the ball to provide an outlet on the wings, he backs up into defense and does a great job intercepting when required, he's a great forward half ruck and he brings the ball to ground well.

I saw him do all those good things but at the same time even on a good night he always manages to fluff a couple of things he should be able to do.

Can't really see where Hewitt fits in this side full time. He seems an awkward fit in the backline, he doesn't really offer anything different to what we already have in midfield, maybe the forward line with Heeney missing? Personally I'd love to see Hayward make the selectors job really difficult by making Heeney's place his own in his absence.

I know we've picked a lot of attacking defenders recently, maybe we need a bit more of a pure defender down there to balance us out a bit more. 3 defensive defenders (Rampe, McCartin,?) and 3 attacking defenders (Dawson, Campbell, Lloyd). I liked our balance there with Mills, I feel like we need someone to step up and fill that role. Maybe it's early days and that could be Hewitt. I just realised I'm forgetting Cunningham rotating off the bench.

The problem (if you can even call it that) of having a pretty clean injury list and winning 4-0 is that we have so many players who could really play a role in this side but they just can't get a game.
Club website saying Melican BOG in the last VFL trial match. Could easily come in with Parker and Hewett splitting mid/fwd duties.
Though I'd also really like to see what Haywood can do with these better I50 entries. Blakey might cop a week for that late hit and so both Melican and Haywood can come in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Dew (Not the Stuart variety) become such a factor at the SCG. I’ve watched a lot of night games over the years and other than them turning on the sprinklers before the Geelong semi I had never seen it as such a factor.

Last few years it seems to really mess up the skills for both teams.

For those with better noggins what could be the reason for it always being the case or am I just forgetting slippery games if the past.
You're just forgetting I reckon... I played sport on Sydney coast line in my teens (nearly 45 years ago) and it was regularly very, very wet at night. ANZ does not have the same problem or anywhere else more than about 10kms from the coast, but Nolan's Reserve in Manly, John Fisher in Curl Curl, and numerous others close to the coast are exactly the same.

Not the thread but is palm beach worth checking out?

In Coogee atm but what would Sydney traffic be like atm and is it worth it in a Friday?
Not worth it... too much traffic, way too many lights, limited parking, school holidays... Head to the Coogee Bay Hotel and grab a beer!

PS For all I know your back in Vic by now, but Palm Beach is over-rated imo. However, hiring a boat and sailing the Pittwater is brilliant! Be sure to stop in at the Newport Arms for a beer, beautiful spot. Used to go there for live music on Sunday arvos, and roll home on Sunday nights! :beercheers::tropicaldrink:

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Any kudos to Cunningham in the last minute or so of play where he broke a tackle of McDonald-Tippinwuti to hack kick it to our forward win for a stoppage?
That was a huge 50/50 play against a good pressure player/tackler

NGL heart stopped a bit there because there were a few dubious OOB calls that went our way earlier in the game

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Cracker game. Are there a more whiney lot than those Essendon players (other than Richmond of course, but that's a given) ? Umps ought to slap them with a "stop yo bitchin' " 50m penalty. w

Reid was BOG for mine. Just the 15 touches but huge in contested marks and kicking at close to 100%. Even when he didn't take possession he just impacted the game in so many ways and in so many places, especially when it counted. Ollie Florent showed real maturity performing under pressure, using that deft side step of his to buy space. Kennedy, Parker and Rampe led from the front, as did Mills. It's really good to see our leaders showing the way. The defence got a bit of a hammering and it looked like a scene from Laurel and Hardy for a while there. No communications, running into each other or leaving the opposition undefended. Gulden and Warner were good under pressure, but not exactly clean. Disposal efficiency overall was a bit ugly. Wicks did some great pressure acts but Campbell and particularly McDonald seemed to find it way too hot in the kitchen. Buddy menaced all game and came to the fore when we needed him. Hickey showed us again why he's a great pickup. Bell did a few good things but needs to be more involved. It was nail-biting but not a disappointing game. Heck we're 4-0 (just like in 2012) and had we shot straight it would have been déja vu all over again. Converting just half those behinds would have seen thrashing Essendon by about the same amount as we thrashed Richmond. Shame about Heeney when he was just finding some star form. Blakey is struggling to find his mojo but had glimpses of brilliance. McCartin/LLoyd/Cunningham were all honest without being spectacular.

Essendon deserve credit for great coaching and great execution of their strategy. Their young guys played well and they put a lot of pressure on from all the right places. In their current form they'd smoke Richmond and at least Rutten doesn't rest on his laurels or whinge like Hardwick does ("we won three premierships" - someone needs to tell him that was then, this is now). I wouldn't be surprised to Essendon finish higher than Richmond this year, especially on current form.

I thought the umpiring was sub-standard with questionable decisions going against both sides. The free kick count was in our favour (for once) but that was probably because we had more of the ball. A little too much bombing in hope but we were very effective with the eyes lowered. Good to grind out the win when everything seemed to be going a bit pear-shaped.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Bell did bloody well in the chain that lead to Buddy's second lat in the second quarter. But then so did Parker, Rampe, Florent, Warner and Gulden.
Fantastic play all round.

Incidentally I'm watching full replay quarter by quarter on the afl website. Thought that was usually pay walled.
I noticed that too. Also avaliable to O/S viewers. That's awesome.

I still prefer to download a full copy of the game, particularly the winning games which keep me going through the long off-season.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
You're just forgetting I reckon... I played sport on Sydney coast line in my teens (nearly 45 years ago) and it was regularly very, very wet at night. ANZ does not have the same problem or anywhere else more than about 10kms from the coast, but Nolan's Reserve in Manly, John Fisher in Curl Curl, and numerous others close to the coast are exactly the same.
John Fisher was a horror show, Newport takes the cake though

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Not worth it... too much traffic, way too many lights, limited parking, school holidays... Head to the Coogee Bay Hotel and grab a beer!

PS For all I know your back in Vic by now, but Palm Beach is over-rated imo. However, hiring a boat and sailing the Pittwater is brilliant! Be sure to stop in at the Newport Arms for a beer, beautiful spot. Used to go there for live music on Sunday arvos, and roll home on Sunday nights! :beercheers::tropicaldrink:

Was that the good old days of the grass hill?

The Arms was a belter back in the day... unfortunately, too many south siders out on a day trip at lunch now and it's bordering on being a library most nights.

Still one of the best places to have a beer on the north side, also a big fan of the Skiffy in Manly

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Watching the replay now and the first quarter we looked sharp. It’s amazing what you can observe when the pressure is off.

Campbell a couple of really nice kicks. Amazing pressure. Franklin looked sharp and our misses weren’t from being pushed out wide or flaky snaps, but shots we should be making.

A few things go right early and in the last and the game isn’t even close. I’ll also say that Logan is never out of the game, even if he’s not in the forward 50 he’s contributing. Tackling and drilling passes.

Essendon overall were only better than us for about 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that the good old days of the grass hill?

The Arms was a belter back in the day... unfortunately, too many south siders out on a day trip at lunch now and it's bordering on being a library most nights.

Still one of the best places to have a beer on the north side, also a big fan of the Skiffy in Manly
Lol! Pretty sure that when I was young, only cricket was played at the SCG & it was not played at night!

Spent a lot of Friday nights discoing at The Steyne, (remember that fish tank?) Saturdays was Bryants or the Antler or Timo, and Sundays was Pat Drummond at the Glider Room (Astro Boys on his way!)... The Skiffy was a bit above my touch, went there but not often and when I was a bit older.

So no, to answer your question not the grass hill, which would have been wet if anyone had been sitting on it...

Sorry all, off topic... I'll stop now.

I thought it was a brilliant win, and practically guarantees another cracker later in the year...

EDIT: Ha ha, just realised after all that, that your talking about the grass hill at the Arms! Lol, yes it was... great times!!! Did a few New Years Eve there as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back