Analysis The PAFC And Richmond Rivalry

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
After attending the game last night, I was electrified by how awesome we as supporters made the atmosphere feel! but on top of that, I also recognised the way the context of the game's build-up had created anticipation around the result. It then got me thinking about how significant the context between our matchups with Richmond really is, and the prior encounters we have had with the team since joining the AFL.

• The 2008 match at football park was super close, but I can barely remember it
  • The 2009 match at football park where Chaplin nearly ****ed it up for us until Tredders broke the glass like a ******* champion
  • The 2010 match at football park (A lot of matches at football park) where Richmond hadn't one a game for the year I think until they came over here and killed us in dreadful conditions (And in our 140th-anniversary I think, correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Jay Shultz coming to our colours and reaching his career peak as a key forward in the following years making our confrontations just a little bit more heated
  • The kind of dead rubber but incredibly investing 2012 draw at the MCG right at the death of the minor round season
  • Pretty much every match after Chaplin left for the yellow and black ignited the bitterness further
  • Matthew white kicking the goal of the year against his former team under the dome in 2014
  • The 2014 Elimination final at Adelaide Oval where we ended their 9 game winning streak and kicked the first 7 goals of the match to blow them away
  • Kane Cornes playing his 300th and final AFL match at AO in a loss to Richmond
  • From memory, a pretty close match between the two teams at AO in 2017, ending in the Tigers favour
  • From memory, another pretty close match between the two teams at AO in 2018, ending in our favour and delivering one of the Tiger's only 4 losses in the minor round season
  • The 2019 match at AO (Seriously why are all these matches in Adelaide!) where the two teams arm-wrestled after Richmond was missing some of their biggest stars and just managed to get the jump on us
  • 2020 Round 11 was arguably one of the best matches of the year with plenty of highlight reels, but our particularly aggressive final term earned us the four points
  • 2020 Prelim was another intriguing arm-wrestling final in sloppy conditions, the final result determined only by mere moments which sent Richmond on to their 3rd cup in 4 years
  • 2021... Another absolute classic with another lot of highlight reels, this time with our composition earning us the privilege of revenge
I've been to several games against Richmond in my time, and in pretty much all of them there has always been a feeling of eagerness and bitterness for the stakes, whether it be 4 points, a milestone or a final. I've certainly felt it myself too, I'm normally quite passive when I go to games, but after last night I simply couldn't resist digging into Jack Riewoldt every chance I got, especially after his late time miss!

But I've certainly noticed the atmosphere has been recurring in our affairs with the yellow and black, and not just for the last few years, but nearly a whole decade at this point. Dare I say the bitterness resembles that of our Glenelg rivalry, but this one on a much bigger stage. Even as of now I feel as if I'm missing a significant match or two so let me know if I've missed any worth mentioning.

Last edited:

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its definitely becoming a great rivalry, they are the club with the most in common with us and the club I hate least out of opposition clubs, especially after they rogered Geelong and the Tingles in gfs.

Its one sided though at present because we have only ever gotten it done when it doesnt matter. We need a flag or two to take it to the next level.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
Its definitely becoming a great rivalry, they are the club with the most in common with us and the club I hate least out of opposition clubs, especially after they rogered Geelong and the Tingles in gfs.

Its one sided though at present because we have only ever gotten it done when it doesnt matter. We need a flag or two to take it to the next level.
Port Adelaide great Rivalries;
Norwood Football Club
Glenelg Football Club
Sturt Football Club
Adelaide Football Team
Richmond Football Club
Brisbane Football Club
Adelaide
South Australia

Should have won at least another flag in that Brisbane era, need to win 1 or 2 at the back end of this Richmond era, kickstarting the Port Adelaide Decade of Dominance.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’a a rivalry in the sense that the games are almost always fantastic to watch regardless of the winner.

However, I love Richmond and have respect for them as an org. Watching them tear the Crows to shreds in 2017 was one of my favourite non-Port AFL memories. Out of the supposed big 4 in Victoria, they’re the only ones who don’t have some systematic/organisation wide cheating or awful s**t tied to their identity.

- Carlton had the salary cap scandal
- Pies have the whole racism debacle
- Essendon did drugs or something if anyone has heard about it

And all 3 clubs I feel like genuinely feel like they’re above punishment or repercussions for their actions. I dunno, I never get the same vibe from the Tigers.

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it only a rivalry because of the recent close games or is it more than that?

I admire how Richmond have turned their fortunes around and play the game in an attacking fashion that has achieved their recent success. Something that we have modelled our game on recently which seems to match up against Richmond really well. It just a shame that we still have lapses in concentration which loses games in minutes rather than quarters.

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’a a rivalry in the sense that the games are almost always fantastic to watch regardless of the winner.

However, I love Richmond and have respect for them as an org. Watching them tear the Crows to shreds in 2017 was one of my favourite non-Port AFL memories. Out of the supposed big 4 in Victoria, they’re the only ones who don’t have some systematic/organisation wide cheating or awful sh*t tied to their identity.

And all 3 clubs I feel like genuinely feel like they’re above punishment or repercussions for their actions. I dunno, I never get the same vibe from the Tigers.

You can probably consider Geelong under the same guise with Essendon with the Dank link, the suspicion is there just they never got caught. Even Brisbane where pushing the boundaries of fairness during their 3 peat period with the IV drips.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

However, I love Richmond and have respect for them as an org. Watching them tear the Crows to shreds in 2017 was one of my favourite non-Port AFL memories. Out of the supposed big 4 in Victoria, they’re the only ones who don’t have some systematic/organisation wide cheating or awful sh*t tied to their identity.

I have a lot of respect for the older Tigers generation who stuck through them through thick and thin and were always loud and proud even in the dark times.

I have zero respect for the young generation of entitled arrogant Tigers fans for whom the mercenary Tom Lynch is the poster boy.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
I have a lot of respect for the older Tigers generation who stuck through them through thick and thin and were always loud and proud even in the dark times.

I have zero respect for the young generation of entitled arrogant Tigers fans for whom the mercenary Tom Lynch is the poster boy.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Like our own brethren, anyone born post 1990 never paying their dues picking up cans in front of the Williams stand with 8,000 people mingling, or sitting atop of the Mesh covering the race cause Dad threw you up there - crapping yourself cause you doubt this will hold you... Carn the Pear generation.

We have evolved our own supporters from Port vs the Rest/State - Love us or Hate us, to the Carn the Pear - Hamish, Wingard, Rozee poster boys.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Like our own brethren, anyone born post 1990 never paying their dues picking up cans in front of the Williams stand with 8,000 people mingling, or sitting atop of the Mesh covering the race cause Dad threw you up there - crapping yourself cause you doubt this will hold you... Carn the Pear generation.

We have evolved our own supporters from Port vs the Rest/State - Love us or Hate us, to the Carn the Pear - Hamish, Wingard, Rozee poster boys.

Way off topic but you just reminded me of how we used to stand on soft drink cans to be high enough to watch the game at Alberton.
Wow, have not thought about that for 40+ years.

Way off topic but you just reminded me of how we used to stand on soft drink cans to be high enough to watch the game at Alberton.
Wow, have not thought about that for 40+ years.
steel cans vs aluminum cans. Gupta should bring them back for Port games.

After attending the game last night, I was electrified by how awesome we as supporters made the atmosphere feel! but on top of that, I also recognised the way the context of the game's build-up had created anticipation around the result. It then got me thinking about how significant the context between our matchups with Richmond really is, and the prior encounters we have had with the team since joining the AFL.

• The 2008 match at football park was super close, but I can barely remember it
  • The 2009 match at football park where Chaplin nearly f’ed it up for us until Tredders broke the glass like a ******* champion
  • The 2010 match at football park (A lot of matches at football park) where Richmond hadn't one a game for the year I think until they came over here and killed us in dreadful conditions (And in our 140th-anniversary I think, correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Jay Shultz coming to our colours and reaching his career peak as a key forward in the following years making our confrontations just a little bit more heated
  • The kind of dead rubber but incredibly investing 2012 draw at the MCG right at the death of the minor round season
  • Pretty much every match after Chaplin left for the yellow and black ignited the bitterness further
  • Matthew white kicking the goal of the year against his former team under the dome in 2014
  • The 2014 Elimination final at Adelaide Oval where we ended their 9 game winning streak and kicked the first 7 goals of the match to blow them away
  • Kane Cornes playing his 300th and final AFL match at AO in a loss to Richmond
  • From memory, a pretty close match between the two teams at AO in 2017, ending in the Tigers favour
  • From memory, another pretty close match between the two teams at AO in 2018, ending in our favour and delivering one of the Tiger's only 4 losses in the minor round season
  • The 2019 match at AO (Seriously why are all these matches in Adelaide!) where the two teams arm-wrestled after Richmond was missing some of their biggest stars and just managed to get the jump on us
  • 2020 Round 11 was arguably one of the best matches of the year with plenty of highlight reels, but our particularly aggressive final term earned us the four points
  • 2020 Prelim was another intriguing arm-wrestling final in sloppy conditions, the final result determined only by mere moments which sent Richmond on to their 3rd cup in 4 years
  • 2021... Another absolute classic with another lot of highlight reels, this time with our composition earning us the privilege of revenge
I've been to several games against Richmond in my time, and in pretty much all of them there has always been a feeling of eagerness and bitterness for the stakes, whether it be 4 points, a milestone or a final. I've certainly felt it myself too, I'm normally quite passive when I go to games, but after last night I simply couldn't resist digging into Jack Riewoldt every chance I got, especially after his late time miss!

But I've certainly noticed the atmosphere has been recurring in our affairs with the yellow and black, and not just for the last few years, but nearly a whole decade at this point. Dare I say the bitterness resembles that of our Glenelg rivalry, but this one on a much bigger stage. Even as of now I feel as if I'm missing a significant match or two so let me know if I've missed any worth mentioning.

Ben Cousins’ last ever game at the end of 2010 was a cracker too.

AFC065DC-354E-42CB-8015-9994DBD54EE7.jpeg

11 goals in just over a quarter of football to blow out to a 59pt lead at the Dome, only for Richmond — with youngsters Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Grimes and Rance onboard — to storm back to get within a kick at the 13-min mark of Q4. A 4.1 to 3.0 finish closed it out for us though. Boak BOG with 31 & 3.

Also beat them in a close game in the NT the following year to help narrowly avoid the spoon — again, Boak judged best afield with 23 & 1 with 10 tackles.

Back