Preview Round 5: Brisbane vs Essendon, Gabba, Saturday 17/04/2021 @ 7:25 PM AEST

Aaaaaaaaaaaand the winner is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of feel like the past is the past. It's a delicate mix though. We can't have a team of noobs without the experienced players to teach them the ropes. On the other hand, we need to get games into the players such as BZT that have been on the list for a number of years to see whether they can make ie.

Hooker, Hurley, Zaka are not the future. Do we play them due to experience and guidence or do we throw the younger players to the wolves and see if they have what it takes? IDK!.

We do have a few players showing promise atm, i dont think dropping them is the answer.

Agreed.The benefits of the younger players stringing a number of games together to build consistency and getting a group of players continually playing together (hopefully without many injuries) will build more cohesion as well.

The changes I'm expecting:
Ins: Phillips, Redman, Zaka
Outs: Perkins, Guelfi, Snelling
Medical sub: Guelfi (perfect cover for all types of positions)

Its kind of a tough week to pick the changes as nobody was really that bad and there's a few positions where we have no realistic alternate options (key defenders in particular).

Phillips has to come in I reckon as we are really struggling with no real ruck and also I don't want to see more of Cox relieving in the ruck at his size (even though he actually won 5 hitouts which is actually pretty good for the time he spent in there).
Redman a clear upgrade on Guelfi and with a 12 day break and being cleared of an actual hamstring tear you'd think he'd be fit to play.
Zaka sounds like he's been in strong form in the VFL the past few weeks.

People will hate Perkins getting dropped but its only his first year and I'd say he'll play 8-12 games this year.
He'll still have plenty to learn in the VFL as well.
Guelfi isn't that bad but he's not really the preferred option in any role and his kicking lets him down. I always love his willingness to scrap though.
Snelling is a bit of a harsh call considering he had 11 tackles but I just don't reckon he impacts enough and I think he gets a lot of tackles being second to the ball.

After practice much I think the following changes are pretty likely;-

IN: Phillips (BOG in practice match & 2MP desperately needs support in ruck), Zakka (should be raring to go), Redman (only out because he was injured)
OUT: Jones (will be good but needs more time to develop), Guelfi (stiff but Zakka classier), Laverde (makes way for Redman)

Team;-

Francis Zerk Redman
Heppell Ridley Hind
Merrett Stringer* Cox
Perkins 2MP Smith
Langford* Hooker Tippa

Phillips Parish McGrath

Bench: Ham Snelling Waterman Zakka

*Stringer to start in the middle each quarter than rotate after 5 minutes or so with Langford deep forward

Its going to be tough to beat the Lions up there but just looking for a similar effort to what we put out against the Swans...Comon Dons!

I'd put the unicorn in the stable for Brisbane and bring him out again for ANZAC Day. Let's preserve our youngsters; he played a tough game against Sydney on a 5 day break. 8 day break to the Brisbane game and he should be cherry ripe for Collingwood. Maybe Jones too.

Very interesting team changes next week, I haven’t been disappointed with selections once this year.

Wright has been underwhelming thus far, and is struggling as a ruck. It’s clear that Phillips/Bryan will come in. However, the forward line is functioning though with 2 talls, Waterman, Stringer and smalls. It doesn’t work with Wright down there as well, and Waterman deserves to keep his spot.

Zaharakis is the other one, the only spot I see him taking is Snelling. That would be disappointing and a step backward, Snelling has been very good. Zaka should have to bide his time in the VFL.

More than happy for Zaka to leave his skis at the lodge and to continue cutting the oranges and being a beacon for attractive women so our younger players may stud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of feel like the past is the past. It's a delicate mix though. We can't have a team of noobs without the experienced players to teach them the ropes. On the other hand, we need to get games into the players such as BZT that have been on the list for a number of years to see whether they can make ie.

Hooker, Hurley, Zaka are not the future. Do we play them due to experience and guidence or do we throw the younger players to the wolves and see if they have what it takes? IDK!.

We do have a few players showing promise atm, i dont think dropping them is the answer.

It’s a hard question to answer. On one hand you want to get as many games as possible into the kids but on the other, at least IMO, you dont want to throw them to the wolves the way lolnorf have. I think we’ve got the mix pretty close at the moment, if anything we’re probably a couple of experienced players short, but I’m happy to see them err on that side of things.

This is the most excited I can recall being about a group of youngsters in a long time

Carn Bombers!!!!

Daniher with -3 AF points at quarter time!! Tell you what, if Brisbane lose today they'll be under pressure next week.
They have had a tough draw. Swans started the season on fire which surprised everyone. They should have beaten Cats in Geel which is a fair effort but should have lost to Pies so that evened out - save that if it was in Brisvegas they probably would have won anyway. Lose against us and they will be under pressure.

The changes I'm expecting:
Ins: Phillips, Redman, Zaka
Outs: Perkins, Guelfi, Snelling
Medical sub: Guelfi (perfect cover for all types of positions)

Its kind of a tough week to pick the changes as nobody was really that bad and there's a few positions where we have no realistic alternate options (key defenders in particular).

Phillips has to come in I reckon as we are really struggling with no real ruck and also I don't want to see more of Cox relieving in the ruck at his size (even though he actually won 5 hitouts which is actually pretty good for the time he spent in there).
Redman a clear upgrade on Guelfi and with a 12 day break and being cleared of an actual hamstring tear you'd think he'd be fit to play.
Zaka sounds like he's been in strong form in the VFL the past few weeks.

People will hate Perkins getting dropped but its only his first year and I'd say he'll play 8-12 games this year.
He'll still have plenty to learn in the VFL as well.
Guelfi isn't that bad but he's not really the preferred option in any role and his kicking lets him down. I always love his willingness to scrap though.
Snelling is a bit of a harsh call considering he had 11 tackles but I just don't reckon he impacts enough and I think he gets a lot of tackles being second to the ball.
Snelling is always in the top 3 or 4 for pressure acts , tackles and plays the team defence as good as anyone.
He impacts the game more than people see.

Seriously predictable. People like that we are playing with a bit of spirit yet they are lining up to dump two of the blokes who bring it every week no questions asked.

Could we have Phillps & Wright sharing ruck duties/ forward line and have Hooker, Jones and Stringer there too?

Quit with the Snelling being dropped, he had 11 tackles for **** sake, that is the definition of effort and commitment that we’ve lacked across the board for years, no way is anyone getting dropped producing that.

Just for the record - Hibberd got dropped after a 12 tackle game last year.
11 tackles for Snelling didn't result in a single free kick either. You can't always judge tackles by pure numbers alone. Some tackles really change the flow of the game, others barely register.
Only 13 touches and no scores. He's not undroppable on that effort.

Just for the record - Hibberd got dropped after a 12 tackle game last year.
11 tackles for Snelling didn't result in a single free kick either. You can't always judge tackles by pure numbers alone. Some tackles really change the flow of the game, others barely register.
Only 13 touches and no scores. He's not undroppable on that effort.
You obviously do not see what he does all that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back