Review Round 4, 2021 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t see anyone in the 2s making much difference

Hopefully dropping Lester for someone who’s quicker, skillful or better equipped to play on small forwards will help the backline.

McStay if fit comes in for Fullarton.

Linc a bit lucky but I don’t think we have anyone else to come in

Seeing loved ones after not seeing them for the holidays as well. I think we'll have a banger game next week!

Just thought about partners and children over the past 3 weeks. Probably had to rearrange childcare and work commitments at a minimum because Dad hasn't been home. It really has been a team effort.

Frustrating day but the Dogs are a strong side. We looked gassed from pretty early on and didn't have any counter when coming out of defence - slow as treacle on switching/moving forward and their pressure was excellent. Midfield is struggling with Neale out of form.

If we easily account for the Bombers next week - as we should if we're serious - I'm not too worried.

The ins were good, Omac and Gardiner especially. Hopefully Berry is better for the run.

Agree, some teams adjusting faster than others to the new style, still confident we will come good.

Our best back is no longer int the top 50 defenders on form, same for our best mid and best forward. We’ve scrapped it out but can’t see us playing too well with Andrews, Neale and Cameron barely contributing anything

Positive was that it had a feel of a game like we lost by 10 goals, did extremely well to stay that close. Bulldogs are so well set up around the stoppages, clean, fast and precise by hand, killed us with their quick hands and gut running on . They also took way too many contested marks within 20-30 meters of goal, Harris was ordinary early but built into the game.

Top 5- Eric Hipwood, Darcy Gardiner, Marcus Adams, Mitch Robinson and Hugh McCluggage. > Lyons, Birchall, T.Berry and Rich were passable.

Some had a very down day though- Dayne Zorko, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Jarrod Berry, Lincoln McCarthy.

We played like s**t, the umpires smashed us and we went down by 3 goals in the end. It’s not all bad but unless someone puts a fire up the ass of our players we won’t win games that are there to be won. We can only improve. We are 1-3 but should be 2-2 so it’s not all hope lost yet. Anyone who doesn’t think the umpires had an influence on the game wasn’t watching properly, I don’t think they robbed us but I feel like they didn’t give us a fair run either.

Neale needs a rest, he’s clearly cooked right now.
The long bombs weren’t working, there isnt much our forward can do when they’re getting pretty s**t service. Daniher never stopped presenting and trying all day, Hippy played a good game. Charlie needs to be benched and prove he wants to play.
It feels like we are just missing something to push us over the edge, we have real depth in the midfield but I feel like our top end midfielders are just missing something. As he continues to improve and develop Bailey could be that thing we are missing.

We’ve won 1 of 8 first half quarters due to a couple of very late first half goals against Collingwood.

Imagine if someone told you that statistic after we went 18-0 up against Sydney early.

We're really missing the impact Rayner would've given us in the middle of he'd taken the step we thought he might take. Our midfield appears a bit listless with no real excitement in there. Especially with Neale down on form and fitness, our midfield currently looks homogenous with not a lot of "x-factor". Would be nice to see us throw Robertson in there a bit more to see what he can do.

Our forward entries were deplorable, especially in the first half. The dogs defense is very average, and we made them look competent by kicking to the advantage of their key defenders. Even with the conditions, when the dogs went inside 50 they at least have their forwards the opportunity to take a mark.

We're still trying to play this safe 2020 style game, when the game has moved on and is now quicker with more overlap and more risk taking. We look far better when we end up down in the second half and have to take the game on and suddenly start using it quickly through the middle.

It will be nice to see Cockatoo fit and ready to play because otherwise I can't see what changes we'd make that would feel like it moved the needle a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels like we are just missing something to push us over the edge, we have real depth in the midfield but I feel like our top end midfielders are just missing something. As he continues to improve and develop Bailey could be that thing we are missing.

One thing I have felt is that I'm starting to miss Rayner's presence in the forward/midfield more and more after each loss we have this season :sadv1:

Maybe he is that missing future link/person in the lineup currently that could have took us to the next level even though people on here last season thinking he is not that good at this level and should be dropped as a result.

We just seem like a very predictable team to play against atm and we don't have any high potential reserves knocking the door down sadly. Hopefully, Answerth, Cockatoo & McStay come into the Best 22 next week or the week after cause atm we have players like Charlie not putting in 110% in every contest and thinking the ball is just going to come to them all the time, which I hate some much.

It feels like our team is playing as a bunch of 22 individuals and not a whole team

I have a really bad feeling we won't be competing for finals this year if we continue to perform the way we are sadly similar to what happened with the Cats in 2006.

Just seems like there are about 10 other teams that can perform better then us on any given night currently in the season, which isn't a good sign at all.

Last edited:
It was played at a Chook Lotto Stadium in Hicksville, with a 2 goal diagonal wind stopping the snow from falling, in conditions not suited to any ball game, with Umpires who had a blinder, against a pretty decent running side, 3 weeks after players left home with an overnight bag and one pair of jocks.

Play it 3 days ago there and it would be like playing at the Gabba on a Saturday Arvo in 27 degrees and no wind. Play it today and the mighty Antarctic Penguins would have felt at home.

The sky is not falling. I don’t think style of play or anything can be judged out of today.

3 weeks on the road catching up to us, looked flat as a tack. Look like we are lacking speed, haven't got our running game going at all today, not sure we are exactly sure what to do once our running game is blocked off.
They've looked like that all year. Been behind for 98% of the season. Very lucky to have scraped 1 win. Not flat, too slow in the back half, no rebound, static. Unable to hold the ball in our forward half which was the cornerstone to our success.

We're really missing the impact Rayner would've given us in the middle of he'd taken the step we thought he might take. Our midfield appears a bit listless with no real excitement in there. Especially with Neale down on form and fitness, our midfield currently looks homogenous with not a lot of "x-factor". Would be nice to see us throw Robertson in there a bit more to see what he can do.

Our forward entries were deplorable, especially in the first half. The dogs defense is very average, and we made them look competent by kicking to the advantage of their key defenders. Even with the conditions, when the dogs went inside 50 they at least have their forwards the opportunity to take a mark.

We're still trying to play this safe 2020 style game, when the game has moved on and is now quicker with more overlap and more risk taking. We look far better when we end up down in the second half and have to take the game on and suddenly start using it quickly through the middle.

It will be nice to see Cockatoo fit and ready to play because otherwise I can't see what changes we'd make that would feel like it moved the needle a bit.

Missing the impact of both Rayner and McStay. Thankfully we'll get one of them back soon

Positive was that it had a feel of a game like we lost by 10 goals, did extremely well to stay that close. Bulldogs are so well set up around the stoppages, clean, fast and precise by hand, killed us with their quick hands and gut running on . They also took way too many contested marks within 20-30 meters of goal, Harris was ordinary early but built into the game.

Top 5- Eric Hipwood, Darcy Gardiner, Marcus Adams, Mitch Robinson and Hugh McCluggage. > Lyons, Birchall, T.Berry and Rich were passable.

Some had a very down day though- Dayne Zorko, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Jarrod Berry, Lincoln McCarthy.

I really think people get taken in by a couple of flashy moments and miss all the ineptitude in between. Adams took two nice marks but got absolutely towelled up the rest of the time. 80% of the tall marks inside 50 was his man. They moved him around and just could not hide him. His skills were also ordinary and more than a couple of turnovers resulted. He was an absolute liability out there.

I really think people get taken in by a couple of flashy moments and miss all the ineptitude in between. Adams took two nice marks but got absolutely towelled up the rest of the time. 80% of the tall marks inside 50 was his man. They moved him around and just could not hide him. His skills were also ordinary and more than a couple of turnovers resulted. He was an absolute liability out there.
Don't see it that way at all. Andrews was very culpable first half.

I also think we have a problem now with Hippy and Daniher they both either mark of the day or lead up.
We bomb so no lead up marks inside 50
Which leaves the 1 in 10 mark of the day.

I think we miss Big O to be the difference in the forward 50 plucking a grab like English did over and over. Now he #1 ruck he is not sitting there.
Fullarton not a big marking player. Maybe McStay back next week could straighten us up.
Charlie looks uninterested at times.
I give a big plus for Joe.. He worked his ass off and our kicking inside 50 was crap
Hippy did a lot of work on the wing as well.

I think we need to lower our eyes.
Tackling as said still a big big problem teams break ours very easily

Very poor effort overall. Skills extremely poor, dogs played with more aggression, more speed over the ground and they wanted to win more than us. Our Coach does not change the structure of the side during the game and now I am starting to question his coaching and his assistant coaches abilities? Zorko's discipline is glaring and hopefully he is relinquished of his captaincy at the end of the season. He is not inspirational and a shocking kick. Cameron is out of form and other players that are not in form need to be dropped. We need to perform way better than we are, otherwise this season will be a battle to make the eight and if we are lucky to make it, it will be the bottom eight. Going into the forward line we continue to bomb it in for hardly any result - For God's Sake, don't our coaches instruct the players to lower their vision and look for someone instead of bombing it in hoping for someone to mark it. Also don't blame the conditions for today's result - it's a Winter Game and the Dogs were easily the better side.

Back