List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hayward is the most interesting case here, but I still think he's a cracker of a forward, but I think he needs some ressies games to get back into contention.

On that note, why are the ressies taking so long, a lot of kids on our list that would be itching to get out there.

Apparently* ground shortage coz of AFLW.

Does anyone else still think how Elijah Taylor would of been developing so well and be suited to our side if he didnt piss his career away by being a sh*t human being?

Every time I see the Chad do something awesome. Two WA boys taken at pick 36 and 39 with the world at their feet. Living such different lives now

You know who I think would do really well under the new rules, who was very good one on one. Jack Maibaum.

Such a shame, was on the cusp of playing senior football when he did his knee.

It’s such a fine line for these guys as to who makes it and who doesn’t.

Will try and see him play for Coburg in the VFL who are just up the road this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does anyone else still think how Elijah Taylor would of been developing so well and be suited to our side if he didnt piss his career away by being a sh*t human being?

No.

Such a shame, was on the cusp of playing senior football when he did his knee.

It’s such a fine line for these guys as to who makes it and who doesn’t.

Will try and see him play for Coburg in the VFL who are just up the road this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Let us know if you do.

If all goes perfectly....
Paddy McCartin joins Swans in the mid season draft - goes on to fulfil his potential as a KPF
Barry OConnor develops into an elite, high flying, quick, tall, agile, intercepting KPD
Joel Amartey develops into a short ruck but with a huge leap and elite speed. The quintessential modern day Ruck.

We'll know by the draft
This drafting game is too easy.

If Hayward can’t break into this team, and it’s true he is on good coin, we need to move him on this trade period. I am not sure I can see him in our forward setup in 21 without injury, and whilst it’s good to have a good player (*depending on your opinion of Hayward) on standby you don’t want them on really good coin.
I reckon there's absolutely no chance that Hayward is 'moved on'... he'll be in the team this year, no doubt in my mind!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon there's absolutely no chance that Hayward is 'moved on'... he'll be in the team this year, no doubt in my mind!
My post was clearly prefaced by “if he can’t break into the team”, and if he can’t he will absolutely be moved on, particularly if it’s anywhere near true that he is on close to half a mil.

If there is no doubt in your mind then who will he push out of the team? Not just this year but as others develop into 2022? Won’t be Papley, Gulden, Heeney. Won’t be McDonald, Buddy or Reid (/McLean or more broadly the forward/ruck role). Then there is Wicks, who offers way more defensive pressure than Hayward and scoring goals at a similar to Hayward’s best season.

If he doesn’t get himself a best 22 spot there is no way we will be able to keep him if he is on good money and thus lose others as a result. Just isn’t going to happen. He isn’t going to stay to be on the fridge of the team and we aren’t going to keep him (and pay him well) so we lose others if he isn’t established best 22.

I think there is absolutely a chance he won’t see out his contract at Sydney.

Over to you Will... an opportunity might have come up and he is going to have to perform extraordinarily well to keep his spot once Heeney is fit.

Last edited:
My post was clearly prefaced by “if he can’t break into the team”, and if he can’t he will absolutely be moved on, particularly if it’s anywhere near true that he is on close to half a mil.

If there is no doubt in your mind then who will he push out of the team? Not just this year but as others develop into 2022? Won’t be Papley, Gulden, Heeney. Won’t be McDonald, Buddy or Reid (/McLean or more broadly the forward/ruck role). Then there is Wicks, who offers way more defensive pressure than Hayward and scoring goals at a similar to Hayward’s best season.

If he doesn’t get himself a best 22 spot there is no way we will be able to keep him if he is on good money and thus lose others as a result. Just isn’t going to happen. He isn’t going to stay to be on the fridge of the team and we aren’t going to keep him (and pay him well) so we lose others if he isn’t established best 22.

Over to you Will... an opportunity might have come up and he is going to have to perform extraordinarily well to keep his spot once Heeney is fit.
When you bring in McDonald, Campbell, Gulden, Hickey and they all play, then that is a massive push out of other players from our best 22.
I am sure we have players that were once best 22 that now are not.
How that plays out will depend on injuries, form, How we go this year.
It is all healthy though. If players want to leave we will get coin.
I hope we go on a winning spree and set ourselves up for finals.
Then we will see who is best 22.

Wow! Wasn't having a go at you... shouldn't have replied to your post. My bad :(

I was just voicing my support of Will and my conviction that he will find a way.

We would have to be extraordinarily lucky to go through a season without injury, and I have no idea what kind of money he is on.

I thought that before his injury run, he was developing into a really good player and I'm really keen to see what he can do.

Wow! Wasn't having a go at you... shouldn't have replied to your post. My bad :(

I was just voicing my support of Will and my conviction that he will find a way.

We would have to be extraordinarily lucky to go through a season without injury, and I have no idea what kind of money he is on.

I thought that before his injury run, he was developing into a really good player and I'm really keen to see what he can do.

Sorry if I came across as having a go, wasn’t my intention! And I didn’t think you were having a go either. Please feel free to reply to my posts!

I have no doubt he will play seniors this season, it’s just whether he can make himself best 22 and if he can’t and we are over paying him then something will need to give (someone here, somewhat reasonably connected suggested he was on $500k!).

Just projecting :)

When you bring in McDonald, Campbell, Gulden, Hickey and they all play, then that is a massive push out of other players from our best 22.
I am sure we have players that were once best 22 that now are not.
How that plays out will depend on injuries, form, How we go this year.
It is all healthy though. If players want to leave we will get coin.
I hope we go on a winning spree and set ourselves up for finals.
Then we will see who is best 22.

Oh absolutely. I am just saying that in a best 22 sense he may not be able to push others out and you can’t be overpaying players on the fringes if we need to retain best 22 players. Hopefully I am wrong! I would prefer to be.

I have favourite players that I enjoy watching, and plenty of course that I want to stay but I have always had a Swans (team) first mentality so I don’t get as absorbed in the individual players as some people might (which is their right!). Thus I took the likes of Mitchell leaving well (for example) and moved on to what we make of it (and have always been a Florent fan :) )

Can someone please show me something ANYTHING that suggests Will Hayward is on 500k a year or thereabouts? I've googled it, read back through threads on here and all I've found was a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue - someone on here claimed he was on 500k a season and all of a sudden it's gospel!
Just like to know where it came from because from what I can find, it's come out of someone's arse!

Oh absolutely. I am just saying that in a best 22 sense he may not be able to push others out and you can’t be overpaying players on the fringes if we need to retain best 22 players. Hopefully I am wrong! I would prefer to be.

I have favourite players that I enjoy watching, and plenty of course that I want to stay but I have always had a Swans (team) first mentality so I don’t get as absorbed in the individual players as some people might (which is their right!). Thus I took the likes of Mitchell leaving well (for example) and moved on to what we make of it (and have always been a Florent fan :) )
I agree with you Masey. With regard to Haywood, I am not convinced he can make his way back into the team. Medium forwards are not common for a reason. And I really like Haywood. But the inclusion of Gulden, the ascension of Wicks, and Papley, means we have room only for Buddy, Reid and some one else. That was Heeney. Is it Haywood?

Sorry if I came across as having a go, wasn’t my intention! And I didn’t think you were having a go either. Please feel free to reply to my posts!

I have no doubt he will play seniors this season, it’s just whether he can make himself best 22 and if he can’t and we are over paying him then something will need to give (someone here, somewhat reasonably connected suggested he was on $500k!).

Just projecting :)
Okay, we'll agree that neither of was having a go and perhaps I was being over-sensitive... :p

Wow! $500K for a 22yro on a four year deal... are we nuts???

We must have known what was coming through though, although we wouldn't have counted on McDonald (#lolnorf), so they must be seeing some serious talent. I'm still backing him in, won't be the first or last time I've been wrong about a player making it! LOL!

I agree with you Masey. With regard to Haywood, I am not convinced he can make his way back into the team. Medium forwards are not common for a reason. And I really like Haywood. But the inclusion of Gulden, the ascension of Wicks, and Papley, means we have room only for Buddy, Reid and some one else. That was Heeney. Is it Haywood?
With the smaller lists and reduced rotations medium forward spots are squeezed.
A typical forward line of 7 will be:
Two talls
One ruck rotation
One medium
Two smalls
One midfielder
We are running 3 smalls and no midfielder with Parker spending more time in the guts.
Hayward's only real chance is to replace Heeney or Wicks.
Of course, we could shuffle Parker, Warner, Blakey, McInerney forward more.
Tough game.

The problem with Hayward is he looked amazing for a first year player, which is great in one way, but what we did not know at the time was that we would not get the development typically associated with a first year player, and what he showed in his first year was pretty close to his overall potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back